Should I change ISA?

Options
13»

Comments

• westernpromise
    Options
    monki_man wrote:
    do you guys think its worth switch to First direct ISa from abbey potal isa? switching back to abbey after 8mths, all the hassle worth it?

Wondering the same thing as I have 6k plus interest (2 years' worth) in abbey. The FD terms are unintelligible. AIUI you can only transfer in 3k and interest, but I have no idea whether you can split an ISA in half in this way.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have no idea whether you can split an ISA in half in this way.
    I think lots of people have been wondering this so I phoned up my ISA provider (Intelligent Finance) and asked. Apparently you can do this, rather to my surprise.

It is vital when you fill in the transfer forms that you say which tax year you want to move.

I asked about moving this year's ISA plus interest. He said the system could not split out the interest by year but their admin people would sit down with a calculator and work it out if asked. I think I'll just keep things simple and shift £3000 though, then top it up with next year's allowance after April.
  • monki_man
    Options
    I only started having an isa this tax year so I'll be alright as its my whole isa savings anyways, but yes thats cool you can split it!
    [size=-5]Olympic 2007 challenge Started 9 Jan 2007[strike]Aim Silver 2007.00[/strike] Aim Gold 3007.00 Achieved so far:782
    [/size]
    [size=-5]Feb 2007 Grocery Challenge

28th-03rdFeb £17.75
    04th-10thFeb £13.31
    11th-17thfeb £18.54
    18th-24thfeb £17.19
    25th-3rdmar £3.70
    [/size]
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rules on ISA transfers are this:

You must move current year's deposits in full. They must remain within the same type (i.e. Mini/Maxi) wrapper.

Previous year's deposits can be be split. You can move between types of ISA wrapper (i.e. Maxi to Mini or vice versa) but you cannot move between investment types (i.e. Cash must remain as Cash)

An example
    Martin deposts £3,000 in the Cash component of a Maxi ISA with Bank Rip-off in 2003/04. He realises he can get a better deal at Bank MSE, but wants to keep some money in Bank Rip-Off. Bank MSE are only offering a Mini Cash ISA so he transfers £2,000 of his ISA to the Mini Cash ISA with Bank MSE, leaving £1,000 with Bank Rip-off.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    isasmurf wrote:
    The rules on ISA transfers are this:

You must move current year's deposits in full.
    Doesn't the above contradict the following?
    Bank MSE are only offering a Mini Cash ISA so he transfers £2,000 of his ISA to the Mini Cash ISA with Bank MSE, leaving £1,000 with Bank Rip-off.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    westernpromise:

It is the current year's ISA that cannot be split - you can split previous years' ISAs - that is exactly what isasmurf is demonstrating!
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    westernpromise:

It is the current year's ISA that cannot be split - you can split previous years' ISAs - that is exactly what isasmurf is demonstrating!

Oh, I see. So presumably you're best off transferring the oldest ISA to a higher rate, because it will take all its interest with it? Or is it just the £3k that you can shift?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure