Options
2»

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are your long term goals?

Extra pension contributions will give the best return as you get the 40% tax relief, plus another 2% NI if it is by salary sacrifice. You wont be able to access it till you are at least 55 years old though. Maybe you need some slightly less long term plans too - S&S ISAs maybe?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thelchap wrote: »
    Is overpaying my mortgage the right thing to do (currently at 1.79% with remaining balance of £145k - 75% LTV)

May well do you no harm. What's the nature of your current mortgage product, fixed or variable?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    thelchap wrote: »
    No - 5% is the max matched I can get, which is why I’ve kept at this level. Any rough idea on how much you’d push this? I’m likely to have a similar standard job long term, but unlikely to get much higher than 70k ish. Cheers

Honestly, I'd suggest putting in 15% of your salary. It's a shame that your employer won't match any more, but that just increases the need for you to be paying a sizeable chunk in.

I'd worry less about reducing your mortgage right now and more about building up an emergency cash fund. Aiming for a value around six months of expenses is a good rule of thumb, although some prefer to hold more with an eye on possible big ticket items like new boilers and "new" cars that might rear their heads as expenses.

Once you have the emergency cash in place, and you have increased your pension contributions (also take the advice about looking at how and where your money is being invested), I'd suggest taking a look at an S&S ISA. Investing should, over the long term, produce better returns than cash savings (although it will be a bumpy ride). If you do look at stocks and shares then I'd advocate giving serious consideration to multi-asset funds like HSBC Global Strategy, Vanguard LifeStrategy, or Blackrock Consensus.

You might want to open a S&S LISA to handle some of your investments, due to the 25% government bonus, but be aware that they stop paying the bonus when you get to 50 and you can't access the investments until you are 60.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure