PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're having awful weather here today.

Heavy downpours, punctuated with short dry, bright spells.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 4:54PM
    Options
    was the same here Bob but very sunny now with fast moving rain clouds

Money,yes I have 4 beds now and one is a dedicated sewing room. Downstairs snug, study, utility and open plan living/dining/kitchen. Very good energy flow in my house and everywhere is fully used. I could convert a single garage to a workshop as long as there is off road parking

This self storage idea is creeping up on me and I have started a list of potentials, just to clear a bit more space here. It will remain homely but the big stuff will go into storage, like my air cooler, which could go out but it is a life saver in a very hot summer

I have been on RM again, on google earth and am learning more and more. There are good properties in that area, just off the main lane and they sold at reasonable prices last year and previous. The trend is down so anyone asking over the odds will not sell. Several have big gardens and I see a couple of oldies with dark beams, not for me, too much maintenance and I dislike beams

I`m cream crackered now, the sort of weariness that makes steps heavy, I just packed in. Did a huge lot, mostly prepping for potential selling. I dismantled a chrome shelving stand and re-positioned dozens of hooks and hangers, my gardening equipment now looks neat and not a jumble. More stuff to go tomorrow, car is 2/3 full again, never fear all the good stuff goes into the re-use bay

Yay son phoned and he suggested a fantastic log shed, like he built from a kit. Fully insulated and with electrics. Yes yes yes that would be my workshop, has to be away from boundaries and lower than the house. I love his shed, that would be perfect for me. Another out of the box experience and ideas are coming thick and fast from people. Love it
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »
    You may find this interesting as there are comments on all the fires and flooding:
    https://captainawkward.com/2017/09/08/open-thread-flood-fire/#comments
    http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map gives a view of the whole of the US and Canada.
    I find this last story worrying in a nuclear winter scenario:
    http://www.newsweek.com/wildfires-oregon-california-montana-smoke-jet-stream-660635
    Off to Zero Hedge.
    Shortbird, thanks for this - I go to Captain Awkward several times a week, but this was only posted yesterday.

It does make me think of the Gaia hypothesis - that the earth is a self-regulating organism in a way - and that our activities have completely unbalanced the system.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Kittie - Rome wasnt built in a day. I do know just how frustrating it is to make up your mind "That's what I want - and I want it right NOW". But I still think your best off regarding it as Research Phase. You may, possibly, get lucky and see "just the thing" for you pretty soon - in which case go for it. On the other hand - it may take a while.

I'd say "Wait and see what unfolds" personally and hope you "get lucky". But, if not, then hang on in there and keep a darn good eye on what's available/put out the word on the grapevine and it may take a bit longer. Time will tell.

Trying to get the Perfect Option is not easy - even if money isnt coming into it and being a problem by restricting options. I still wonder at times if I got the absolute "best I could" for my money. I'm inclined to think so overall. For instance - I can see a rather better house (but still within my price range) came up 2 years later - BUT the next door neighbour has Japanese Knotweed in their garden and "couldnt give a damn" about it and another one that looked pretty good on the surface that came up a bit later isnt quite as good (but still better than mine) - but the house with Japanese Knotweed is pretty much across the road from it.

Doncha just hate it when Irresponsible Others or summat-or-other-else-they shouldnt be-Others muck up what would otherwise be a pretty good idea on the face of it?

I guess every area has a Potential Problem (whether its risk of JK - and an irresponsible type neighbour next door to you getting it) on the one hand or no risk whatsoever of anything like that but risk of the Council going in for redevelopment and it might affect you on the other hand. It does seem to be difficult to avoid both irresponsible neighbours and "fixed on expansion" Councils and flood risk and and and....

I tied myself up in total knots trying to avoid every single risk every single area would have - and came down to having to "do the best I could" to ensure my house was in a safe location....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    was the same here Bob but very sunny now with fast moving rain clouds

We've currently got the sun, but the rain clouds aren't moving. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am biding my time money, it looks as though I am rushing through but really I am just prepping the outside storage in my house. Looking for a home has made me want to prep and its a nice feeling, rather than having to force myself to do it, anyway its fine while the weather is good

What absolutely puts me off is any sign of leylandi, particularly if it is next door. One recently sold house has a photo of hacked back brown leylandi all along a fence, on the neighbours side and I would run a mile too if I saw knotweed.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    We're having awful weather here today.

Heavy downpours, punctuated with short dry, bright spells.

Much the same here, BSB, but warmer - I'm in Mallorca!
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Karmakat I've never heard of the Gaia hypothesis but I know damn fine the earth is a living self-regulating organism and we've derailed it.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Kittie, I may have missed a crucial point, but why are you moving?

Your existing house sounds like it's about 8 out of 10. Could you not fit a shower downstairs where you are?

FTA: My next door neighbour partitioned the hall, so the downstairs loo became a bathroom. Would that work in your house?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Right now it is not raining. However, the next 4 days? Waterproofs & wellies will be the dress code.
    All luck to anyone with bonus high wind speeds as well. There really is only so much you can do with feedsacks & baler twine once the wind gets over 30mph.
    If you have a greenhouse, just run a thoughtful eye over if anything therein could be relocated overnight, or if you're ready to write the lot off. My neighbour has moved five trays of baby plants into her car...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure