PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    It's scary how much chaos cooking for numbers can create - thank goodness for a dishwasher. I wouldn't do half the cooking I do (even as a CFO) without one :D

Sooooooo agree. I only got a dishwasher last year after over 50 years of hand washing dishes. its been a godsend. How I wish I had got one years ago.

Cold grey dismal morning here. Have cold roast pork from yesterdays roast dinner with bubble and squeek today but rooted out stewing beef to make a pot of stew to last 2 or 3 days. Stew is probably the one thing I am happy to have repeatedly.
    Slimming World at target
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    I've decided to have an easy dinner of haddock, steamed veg and new potatoes today. I found some parsley sauce in the freezer recently so I'll use that up. That will then be the end of the y/s veg I got last week.

I must stop buying too much veg or salad bits. They seem to be the things that I keep having an excess of.

I've got a bit better at rotating the bread in the freezer since I sorted the freezers and put one of everything in one draw and use from there and top it up. I think it was PN who suggested that :).

I'm going to have beans on toast for lunch today for a change. So that means that will be lunch tomorrow as well to use up the tin!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I've got a bit better at rotating the bread in the freezer since I sorted the freezers and put one of everything in one draw and use from there and top it up. I think it was PN who suggested that :).

Yes, have one empty .... only used when you've found a bargain or have a sudden crop from the garden/similar.... then stop buying until you've got it empty again.

What you're using/is already open, all in one drawer to focus the mind.

Other drawers, if available, can be used for a specific type of food. e.g. I've 2½ drawers, so my ½ is for "bread like things, crumpets, muffins etc"

This way you use what you've got -AND- you've ALWAYS got space for the "must freeze this" unexpected items.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I have to go out .... might try Greggs... but I doubt it as I find their store layout intimidating as you can't see what they sell/have until you're the one being served! And, you don't know as you've just got there and are looking, but there's a queue behind you who KNOW what they went in for :)

I have to go buy a card and I'll take a browse round £stretcher (new to the area).

I was invited somewhere really exciting at the weekend... trouble is, I've only just spotted the text that was sent Friday ... so I missed it :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am loving my kitchen, it is so narrow that I can empty the dishwasher without moving my feet but the cuoboards are right up to the ceiling and below worktops I only have large drawers. I have two ovens but rarely use the big one, the very best one for me and probably for any single, is an eye height half size combi oven. I did a tray of meringues in there the other day and can do cakes and meals

I have finished working for the day, I hope, Communal stuff but generally only me does it all. Quick salad with beans, cold baked apple with yoghurt and chocolate. Later my treat, a meringue with raspberries and a small bit of cream, boo hoo, the last of it

I have ordered more fish to arrive in 11 days time. I`ll have enough freezer space for it. I ordered whole fillets of cod because I want to portion them myself, mackerel fillets and trout fillets. All easy food for cfo. I went through that meat/fish drawer and am down to single person meats now, thank goodness, much easier to get one chop out.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,265 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 September 2017 at 2:26PM
    Options
    May I ask where the lamb shanks were from? I usually make my own but would like a couple in the freezer to nuke for CBA days because I love lamb and lamb shanks in particular.

The shanks were from Lidl, they had an offer on at the time. They are chilled & vacuum packed and the ones I bought had shelf life of a couple of months even without freezing. Pack says suitable for freezing, defrost before nuking, usual stuff about you'll turn into a toad & die if not stored or nuked properly

Up early, woken by the rain bashing down, had time for breakfast, it was going to be scrambled eggs on toast, but finished up as omelette sandwich, a rose by any other name

Bit drizzly but still went out, on butter hunt for those soon to be short breads. Duly bought butter, but the short breads are now on hold until later in the week, busy few days ahead, eating out tomorrow for instance

Lunch was cheese salady sarnie again

Dinner will be a YS cottage pie from my mooch in W/rose this morning. I thought of having steamed veggie again,but not sure because I'm sort of CBA at present, so may just bung it in oven & just eat that

I have the last of the stewed apples, plus yoghurt so will not starve

PS, another dishwasher lover here
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Went out, but the shop was a nightmare with its loud piped music ... so I became quickly disorientated and incapable to taking in information about what I was seeing, so I got a can of Pepsi and left and came home.

I stopped in at L1dl on the way home specifically to buy cocktail sausages and eggs so I could make a cooked breakfast. Also managed to pick up some other random stuff, so £6 at the till spent!

Came home and cooked: a big hash brown, 3 scrambled eggs, half a tin of beans and 8 mini sausages. Splash of brown, black coffee and now 'resting' after eating that :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Tiring day. Off to Big Town, where I was busily assured that the conversation I had had with a "professional" last time I saw them was very different to what I actually had with them:cool:. Followed by pizza and glass of wine at lunchtime then cup of coffee and chocolate brownie out.

Just got back. Had drink of milk. Shattered. Time for toast and I shall be googling for a replacement for "professional" with the convenient memory. Fed-up with all these conversations I've apparently had since moving where I've agreed with/suggested in the first place what the other person wanted me to have said - which is often very different to what I did actually say. In cynical frame of mind - and will be taking notebook with me in future to stop all this mis-remembering so many people do when I am "customer" - so the conversation was obviously as I remember it being:cool: - as I'd made up my mind in advance exactly what I wanted.

In future - I will read my instructions direct from notes to whichever-workman-etc-etc it is this time and will probably get them to sign it too:p. Am sick of their convenient memories for the way they wanted things to be - but I had specified differently.:mad:

Slammed foot down on floor very firmly with determination I am not going to have any more ***** mis-quoting of what I said......and heads for kitchen to get toast and fruit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    money, could it be because they think solo woman knows nothing ie condescending beahviour. Keep bringing `we` into the conversation, might help

I always say I have finished work for the day, I went back out and carried on and am now flipping tired. Its going to be a major effort to stay awake another 3 1/2 hours. Last meal was just an instant miso soup, was nice, had some seaweed at the bottom. I like miso and seaweed. Then a large sugarless scone and a glass of water. I don`t feel hungry, oh heck, got to empty the dishwasher now
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,265 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    money, could it be because they think solo woman knows nothing ie condescending beahviour. Keep bringing `we` into the conversation, might help

oh heck, got to empty the dishwasher now

A nice First World problem dishwasher emptying :)

Not just solo women, how many MPS and TV pundits keep telling all of us that we just did not understand what we voted for, what a load of thickos we are, need educating and all decisions should really be to really clever people, like them, who know what is best for us !!!!!! :mad:

Climbs down from ceiling, dinner was just the cottage pie, followed by the last of the stewed apple & Greek yoghurt

Out to lunch tomorrow so could be anything
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure