PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Purple Bricks an option?

Options

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    The last property I bought, the EA just stood in the hall and left me to walk around. TBH, I think I probably liked that approach best. (I managed to work out which rooms were the kitchen, bathroom, lounge, bedrooms etc all by myself.)

It only seems to be the most experienced EAs who worked that out.

Actually, the worst viewing I had was done by the vendor's brother (vendor was abroad). When the EA called for feedback on the Monday, I told them house wasn't for be, but they really need to tell the vendor's brother to stop talking so much utter drivel. The second worst was a young EA who was saying I could make a feature of shoe cupboard. "Er.....but it's just a cupboard."
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • husheechee
    Options
    Personally I wouldnt use them again. Having had rent a gob come round and telling me that they are the best thing since sliced bread I sorta rather liked him for his straight up front spiel.
    So when I go to sign up for them to sell my property I was asked if I wanted to pay up front or defer the payment until the end of their contract.."whats the difference" I asked.."oh..no difference really"...fast forward and I am now 5 weeks into the sale and purchase of my new place and have appointed my own solicitors when I find out that because I aggreed to "defer" my payment untill the end of sale/contract I have found that I inadvertently tied myself into using their conveyancers/solicitors...the result?? I have now had to pay a £360 get out clause so I can continue with my own solicitor..I feel as if I have been mugged..this certainly was NOT what I thought I had agreed to!..and I know everyone will say that I shoul've read the T&Cs but it genuinely wasn't explained fully to me what the deferred payment option meant..a costly mistake on my behalf.. but I thought it would be worth highlighting..buyer beware an all that
  • husheechee
    Options
    and as an aside to that their solicitors/conveyancing fees were £999 plus vat..definately NOT cheap...money for old rope
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2017 at 6:20PM
    Options
    The price is too high.

You could post a link so people can give feedback - but only at your own risk as there will be negative as well as positive.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    husheechee wrote: »
    "whats the difference" I asked.."oh..no difference really"

In theory, that was misrepresentation - which would be a reason for you not having to pay the £360.

But I suspect that the EA would deny saying that... plus presumably you were given a copy of the contract which explained the fees in writing. So I think it would be a big challenge to win that argument.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am buying at the moment and the agent a property is listed with is completely irrelevant to me. It goes on line I get an alert and f I like it I will arrange to look at it. End of.
  • 5sub5sub
    Options
    Do you use Purplebricks ?
    We did a lot of research on this method of selling a propriety, it was a mixed bag, but the bottom line is if you think your propriety has a good chance of selling then use Purplebricks.
    The service from our local propriety expert was 1st class.
    The whole set-up was easy to use and easy to understand.
    We have yet to complete so this review is for the selling possess.
    It is good value for the money you pay.
    If your propriety is in a slow market I would not use this method.
    I will use them again, and am very happy with the service so far.
    SDW
  • 5sub5sub
    Options
    Do you use Purplebricks ?
    We did a lot of research on this method of selling a propriety, it was a mixed bag, but the bottom line is if you think your propriety has a good chance of selling then use Purplebricks.
    The service from our local propriety expert was 1st class.
    The whole set-up was easy to use and easy to understand.
    We have yet to complete so this review is for the selling possess.
    It is good value for the money you pay.
    If your propriety is in a slow market I would not use this method.
    I will use them again, and am very happy with the service so far.
    SDW
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We used Purple Bricks and used the legal services which allowed us to defer our payment. Did our own viewing and held an open day. Lots of interest and the Purple Bricks EA did the final negotiations for the offers. We ended up with 25000 more than the offers over price.
    Conveyancers were fine up to the problem with the purchase of our new property where the vendor died between exchange and completion. We had to do our own research to find out if we could move in under license, tell them this was an option and let them then negotiate access to the new property to prevent us being homeless! That was stressful, but apart from that we were very satisfied with the service we received and the price we paid. Our neighbour also sold at the same time and despite having a larger property only got a few thousand more than ours and after fees ended up with the same amount! If you don`t mind a bit of donkey work, and your property is not hard to sell - go for it.
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
  • do163600
    Options
    I've attempted to view several properties through Purple Bricks, but they made it very difficult to arrange a viewing.

It didn't give me a very good impression, so I would be reluctant to use them to sell a property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure