AA Car Genie - Reviews?

Options

Comments

• The_AA_Company_Representative
    The_AA_Company_Representative Posts: 251 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I got an email from the AA yesterday advertising their new Car Genie device which was free when paying a yearly subscription fee of £29 which I find very reasonable. So I ordered one

The device promises to alert you of your battery health, as well as predicting breakdowns before they even occur. Even keeping track of your driving and giving you hints on how to save fuel and things.

It all sounds too good to be true but I'm looking forward to it arriving within the next few days!

Does anybody have one? Did it predict an early breakdown or anything?

Hey Jlawson118, we're extremely happy to see you purchased one of our new little gadgets, we've noticed your second comment and see it has already notified you of a slight battery problem. The Eco score is measured by a number of things, we're sure you already do, but drive sensibly and according to the conditions of the road, having good road anticipation and no excessive speeding leads to a better score. You will be given a score for each aspect of driving. We hope this helps.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    alanf1314 wrote: »
    I know nothing about my car so having the AA with me feels like a good thing! It also has additional things over and above breakdown according to the website:

Knowing your car’s location so you can find it or see if it’s been moved
    Detecting a crash and triggering a call from us to help
    Offering fuel efficiency tips, interactive maps and recording your trips
    Letting you know of any issues through push notifications via the app

It's only £29 so will give it a try. Seems better than the pain and stress of breaking down :D

Hello Alan, we trust you have your Car Genie now and wanted to check how you're getting on with it? Do you have a favourite feature?
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Just remember if your phone connects to the car via Bluetooth you'll have to decide which you want to use, this or your phone.

Car Genie doesn't connect to Bluetooth to work it will use WIFI or phone data. Customers’ phones will still work as normal, using regular features.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey Jlawson118, we're extremely happy to see you purchased one of our new little gadgets, we've noticed your second comment and see it has already notified you of a slight battery problem. The Eco score is measured by a number of things, we're sure you already do, but drive sensibly and according to the conditions of the road, having good road anticipation and no excessive speeding leads to a better score. You will be given a score for each aspect of driving. We hope this helps.

The thing is though, I gave my car a good run from Leeds to Derbyshire a few weeks ago, and it's a good motorway run down there, and a day after that, the car genie alerted me that my battery had low voltage and needed a good run to charge it up..

I then drove back home from Derbyshire a few days later, sticking to the speed limits, 70mph on both the dual carriageways and on the motorway, I didn't speed up and had cruise control on or the majority of the journey. The last part of the motorway drive had also been cut down to 40mph due to roadworks. My car genie score gave me good scores, apart from speed. I got 62%, which is a let down to say I didn't speed
  • DaveV
    Options
    One for an AA rep:
    I'm interested in how the Car Genie logging of faults could affect the AA Parts and Labour warranty.
    If you got told by the Genie (or AA via phone call) that there was an issue with the EGR Valve (just an example) and you chose to not get it fixed, due to timing, money or etc, but then car final breaks down for same reason. Would the warranty still cover the work? Or would it be reasoned that you've ignored the issue, voiding the warranty cover?
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Its interesting, £29, I assume its mostly automated.
    Options
    Hi DaveV,

In regards to your query, if the Car Genie notified you of a fault, we would contact you to arrange for a patrol to attend and access the vehicle. If the car cannot be repaired at the roadside and it is a valid claim against your Parts and Garage cover, we would cover the repair as normal, with the terms and conditions of the product.

If you ignored the initial prompt from the Car Genie, and the vehicle then broke down due to that fault, this is invalidate the claim.

We hope this clarifies this situation for you. If you would like any further clarification around this, don't hesitate to contact our Car Genie team on 0800 316 4691.

Thanks
  • bash14703
    Options
    Just ordered one. The AA website says the annual subscription is also free in year 2+
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I installed a Car Genie last Friday Got it registered after a few problems with the validation email. No faults, good battery and an “eco score” of 85; as I would expect on a 3 y/o Seat Leon

However after correctly recording the first two short trips there has been nothing further logged, apart from a nil trip when I reinserted the module. As I have logged nearly 600 miles over a number of trips the weekend this seems odd, to say the least. GPS seems to be working, as it knows where I am
  • nfs_daemon
    nfs_daemon Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Merc, and they offer a similar device - I'm sure other makes do too.

According to the blurb which came with my AA renewal documentation the other day, Car Genie is free - no mention of any subscription.

The makers one has to be installed by a Massive Bills dealer, unless you can blag a freebie as part of some other transaction, so I never bothered.

If the AA one is free, I'll give it a try. If I find that renewal after Year 1 is not free, I can always send it back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure