Options

Comments

• Jaffa_cake_4
    Jaffa_cake_4 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2012 at 12:50AM
    Options
    diceydeb wrote: »
    At first I thought it had to be the disabled person working to get the disability element of WTC.

Could somebody confirm/clarify this for me please, can the disability element be claimed even if it is not the disabled parter working?

disabilityalliance.org
    WTC - disabled worker element

This element is a significant one for disabled people. In addition to working at least 16 hours a week, you have to satisfy two other tests - a ‘disability test’ and receipt (or recent receipt) of a ‘qualifying benefit’. It is the person who meets the work conditions who also has to meet the disability and qualifying benefit tests
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    jellyhead wrote: »
    I know, the company car thing is daft - as if you'd spend thousands per year on a car if the company didn't provide one :eek: My husband cycled to work before they gave him a car :rotfl:

I'm not claiming poverty - the tax credits pay for swimming lessons rather than bread and milk - but the idea that people earning less than 30k would spend more than 5k on a car is mad, they'd have an old banger rather than a brand new car, surely.

Most people I know whatever their income wouldn't spend £5k on a car. They would just lease it or buy it on HP. You can lease brand new cars for around £149 a month nowadays.
  • diggingahole
    Options
    I wrote a long letter explaining my families circumstances but just deleted it all, where's the point?
    We have a government that is getting money in from the least who can afford it, forget the bull they come out with, bottom line is...... unemployed and low income workers are paying for the greed of the rich.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    I wrote a long letter explaining my families circumstances but just deleted it all, where's the point?
    We have a government that is getting money in from the least who can afford it, forget the bull they come out with, bottom line is...... unemployed and low income workers are paying for the greed of the rich.

Let's not equate low income with low hours though!

Many of the families moaning on here have been used to the government paying them to work 16 hours between them! I think it's crazy to pay an able bodied couple to work such ridiculously few hours a week!

Those working a reasonable number of hours for a low income will keep their tax credits, simple as.

Let's be fair, 24 hours a week between two able bodied parents is hardly asking for the moon is it?

At the moment, these people putting in token hours are laughing at those couples and single people working 35 hours a week for the NMW!

Heck, a lot of these 16 hour a week families won't even be paying tax! And then you add in the housing and/or council tax benefits they've been enjoying! Great work if you can get it!
  • Mara69
    Mara69 Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Options
    In thirty posts, you've gone from this:
    We are a family of 4 on a COMBINED income of £5058 per year

To this:
    But even with that we still are on an imcome of £12,844 a year.

Then this:
    Council tax benefit yes

Anything else????
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Mara69 wrote: »
    In thirty posts, you've gone from this:

To this:

Then this:

Anything else????

Tax free too, except for maybe a token amount on the wages part!
  • Murgatroyd21
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    Let's not equate low income with low hours though!

Many of the families moaning on here have been used to the government paying them to work 16 hours between them (1)! I think it's crazy to pay an able bodied couple to work such ridiculously few hours a week! (1a)

Those working a reasonable number of hours for a low income will keep their tax credits, simple as. (2)

Let's be fair, 24 hours a week between two able bodied parents is hardly asking for the moon is it? (3)

At the moment, these people putting in token hours are laughing at those couples and single people working 35 hours a week for the NMW! (4)
    Heck, a lot of these 16 hour a week families won't even be paying tax! And then you add in the housing and/or council tax benefits they've been enjoying! Great work if you can get it! (5)

1 They would only get wtc if 1 of them were working 16 hours and met some other criteria, not with a total of 16 hours between them

(1a) Why?

2 Quantify what's reasonable and why?

3 It is if the hours aren't available and as a government you do nothing to make those hours available. Can you show in all these circumstances they are available or is it just a habit to make sweeping statements?

Based on what evidence? Or is this just really your perception and view and use of emotive language rather than based on any hard facts?

Yet again sweeping generalisations, no evidence to show there was a choice for all affected. It is just as easy for me to say they want to earn enough to pay more tax and claim less or no benefits. But then, do you really believe the majority are choosing to remain on incomes so low simply to avoid paying tax?
  • Murgatroyd21
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    I'd just like to share my experience of these changes.

Back in November/December we received a letter saying the minimum working hours rules for WTC were changing for couples with children.
    We have young baby (1 in less than a couple of weeks), wife works 20hours (she reduced hours so it wasn't such a struggle for me looking after baby whilst she worked - i had missed that the rules were changing else she would have asked to reduce her hours to 24 hours). I don't work and claim DLA. The new rules say that couples with children must work a minimum 24 hours between them but there is an exception for couples with children where one of the couple is not working and incapacitated/in hospital/in prison where the other person only has to work 16 hours. There is also an exception for couples with children where one person is working and claiming the disability element that again only requires the 16 hours. And an exception for couples with children where a person is 60 again only needs to work 16 hours. It's so complicated now!

Certain disability benefits including DLA (what rate of care and mobility is irrelevant for tax credit purposes) are used to define whether someone is incapacitated.

The actual rules defining "incapacitated" to be used are 13 parts 4-8 of the tax credit regulations which were previously used to define disability relevant to the child care part of tax credits. I have actually pieced together a document with the changes in so i could understand my entitlement.

So i phoned up the tax credits helpline back in december because i had never needed to inform them i was claiming DLA before as it was never relevant to my claim until now as i wasn't working and i wasnt on DLA when we first claimed tax credits.

The first person i spoke to couldn't understand the new rules at all and i ended up in an argument (not my suggested approach but despite being a mild mannered person i was fuming!) and I slammed the phone down. I phoned again after calming down and again explained the rules...again they didn't seem to understand the rules. I guess we can't really blame them as the whole system is overly complicated! Anyway they asked when i'd been on DLA from and what parts i was getting and said they would pass them onto the compliance department who supposedly would sort things out.

A week or so later the compliance department wrote to me saying I had asked to claim the disability element and wasn't entitled to it. That wasn't what i asked at all. For various reasons i never chased it and just assumed they would have noted i was on DLA.

So this week i phoned tax credits helpline again. They told me that our WTC would stop but CTC continue! So again i had to explain all the rules. The person i spoke to didn't seem to understand and was saying if i wanted to appeal to write in. So i said "i need to speak to your manager". The manager spent a long time with me on the phone. I'm not convinced he fully understood the rules as i explained them to him and referenced the letter i had been sent last year and the tax credit website regards the 2012 changes. He told me to phone back the compliance department...which i did yesterday.

Compliance department answered phone and said we only deal with the disability element so i explained i'd been told to call by the manager the day before who had put notes on my account. Again i had to explain all the new rule changes and again i got the impression that they hadn't quite grasped what the changes were.

They went away and read the notes and when they came back seemed more conversant with the rules (or at least agreed with my explanation) and said they'd added that i got DLA to the notes and that i was now classed as incapacitated so our WTC would continue. I will believe it when i see it but hopefully for us it's sorted now.

I did comment to them that it seemed a ridiculous way of handling things. Surely for us it should have been a simple case of tell them i get DLA and job done..not the jumping through hoops i had to endure.

So anyone in a similar situation i would strongly advise you to find exactly how the changes affect you and fully understand the rules before you try to phone the tax credit helpline! If your disabled make sure they know what disability benefits your on and that it is actually noted on your account!

Hope that helps someone!

This highlights a potential problem for many who have a partner who can't work for the reasons you have covered.

The system didn't require their details be recorded in the past as it had no impact on entitlement in most cases if they didn't get the severe disability element. (Even then I suspect some wouldn't have been recorded properly.)

With the rules changing for wtc entitlement, people need to make sure both sets of circumstances are accurately reflected in the information held.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    Let's be fair, 24 hours a week between two able bodied parents is hardly asking for the moon is it?

I see what you're saying, but rather than laughing at full time workers I suspect that most part time workers have taken any job they could find rather than not work at all.

My brother works part time in the hope of getting more hours. He doesn't get tax credits because he's childless and works less than 30 hours - but for him the part time job is better than not working. He gets a reference for his CV and has the chance of extra hours of they arise. I reckon most part time workers are hoping for the same.
    52% tight
  • maryannep0151
    maryannep0151 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 15 March 2012 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Hi i am due to go back to work on 8th may after having my first baby me and my partner each earn 17,000 a year and have been told we will not get any help with our childcare costs even though i am going back to work full time is this correct surely we should get some help or it would be more beneficial for me not to return to work? help me please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure