What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Missed a few days last week due to not feeling 100% ut I'm up and raring to go and need to make this week count as bathroom refit starts Thursday. We've managed to keep all costs down by ripping out as much as we can, which also resulted in a trip to the tip yesterday. Today's list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Appointment at 11am -
    Start prepping for decorating in the attic -
    Ironing -
    Craft -
    Declutter -
    Bump Sale Posts on FB -
    Walk at least 7000 step for Bounts points -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Morning all :hello: thanks for starting us off Ziggy glad you're feeling better. :j to new bathroom. Grateful it's Monday and payday is in sight :o

Ally not seen you for a while hope you're ok and not working too hard.

My Monday will mainly look like this:
    Wrap and post 6 fleabay parcels that sold yesterday, re listed a few others
    Work from home :j
    Man coming to show us some carpet samples, will get him to quote for DD room whilst he's here
    Meals from stores
    Check banking, surveys and FPL.
    Hang washing out that was washed overnight
    Left over croissant for breakfast
    Take something back to friend that she kindly leant me
    Contact charity to collect old sofa, have swapped it in short term for a sofa bed that was gifted to us as it was just so uncomfortable. Trying to work out if I can keep s/b somewhere as it's so useful as we don't have spare room.
    Maybe a run, if I have time but did both Saturday and Sunday so may have this as my rest day :p

Right off to do a bit before school run.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Frugalistas,
    I want to have a productive day so am intending to get cracking in a minute & see where it takes me. Money saving stuff defo on the list is:
    *Peg laundry outside while it's dry & bright (washed overnight on cheap tariff).
    *Re-load for another cheap wash.
    *Turn some of our huge apple crop into apple & ginger chutney.
    *Finish decluttering a kitchen cupboard & sort out my recycled jars/lids stash.
    *Use up some peppers which were given to us. Chop & freeze the rest for pizza topping.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Knit (Christmas presents)
    *Update budgets & move some funds around to keep everything straight.
    *Pay CC in full
    *Start thinking about insurance renewal. I'm really not minded to pay an extra £8 per month when we have not put in a claim.
    OK, off to fetch the pegs (Oooh, the glamour!)
    Have a good start to the week, all.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2016 at 7:09PM
    Options
    Morning :D thanks for starting the thread ziggy! Hope the bathroom renovation is as stress free as is humanly possible! So exciting when it's finished though :D

Hi PF & everyone who follows :D

So today I am off of work and have a child free day :beer: planning to get some jobs done this morning & then have leisure time for the rest of the day :j

* [STRIKE]call gp & see if I can get appt for dgd - she keeps complaining of a stomach ache[/STRIKE]
    *[STRIKE] check banking[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]update spending diary - haven't done it since Friday :eek:[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]lo's for lunch for me and oh. Madam is being brought lunch by cm as they are having a day out :money:[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]dinner is the lasagna I made yesterday[/STRIKE] :money:
    * [STRIKE]flylady house - superflying today as want to do it in less than an hour![/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]load of washing in & online when finished[/STRIKE]
    * iron & photo a few tops to list on fleabay - managed to list 5 things yesterday :)
    * [STRIKE]go to the allotment for an hour and start the prep for winter - will cycle there[/STRIKE] Did 75 mins :) picked handful of runner beans & french beans. Pulled up & composted french beans, dug over bed where squashes were - 1 tiny squash now curing :D. Happy with what I did!
    * make the comforter bars :D
    * transfer wine must into 2nd demijohn
    * [STRIKE]spend some time knitting[/STRIKE] - I have reattempted making the socks Mrs F. I gave up in a hissy fit last year as when it got to the heel it all went wrong
    * [STRIKE]If I have time I might watch a film I love but oh refuses to watch as we've seen it several times and he saw it a few times before introducing me to it![/STRIKE] wactched half!
    * [STRIKE]fill in [/STRIKE]& post a dd form
    * make apple braid
    * [STRIKE]soak chickpeas to make hummus tomorrow v.2 :p[/STRIKE]

Ok that'll do! Happy Monday :p
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all :) A quick check in whilst on my lunch break as work is so busy today! It is my last week though before starting maternity leave so I'm happy about this as I'm not sleeping well at all at the moment! My list for today:
    - NSD
    - Check bank account
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - Do a load of washing when I get home
    - Aim for 30 minutes overtime tonight, I'm not allowed to do anymore as I'm pregnant and suffering!

Have a great Monday everyone! X
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 3:33PM
    Options
    Shuffles in offering chocolate...

Hi guys! So I've been awol. Can say I've been busy? Not really, just thought I had the hang of this "be good with money malarkey". Kick up the bum was double insuring the house (didn't see the automatic renewal letter!) and being scammed leading to us being with sky and virgin (long story - but basically we called "sky" and cancelled except it was a scam number so sky say we have to continue paying, oh and we can't now cancel until we've coughed up!)

So I've realised that I need you lovely guys and hope you'll have me back!

So today I have/will:-
    * Come back here with my tail between my legs and sad puppy dog eyes!
    * Check banks
    * Take lunch to work
    * Work out what I owe on CC and what is OH's
    * Apply for fee free balance transfer on CC
    * Pay home and car insurance off CC
    * Cancel one of the two home insurances (using work phone!)! I'll give the nodding dog their due, they didn't charge me even though it auto renewed on Saturday
    * Cancel hair appointment
    * Get back to snapping receipts
    * Get myself back on track!

Hope you guys are all well.
    Starting again..
  • princess_pea
    Options
    Evening all, thanks for starting Ziggy

Things to do this week...

All meals from stores
    Small top-up food shop
    Don't spend anything not budgeted for on my debit card until Sunday when I'm due to go for a meal and catch-up with my friend
    Having my long hair cut short tomorrow after work courtesy of my home hairdresser :eek:... that is as long as I don't chicken out!
    Change my personal details on survey sites to reflect my married name, then do some surveys!
    Open Help to Buy ISA on Wednesday!
    Still need to wash wedding dress in the bath - will do so at the weekend as I want to put it away in my wardrobe
    Keep checking bank and make sure spending diary is up to date
    Make another cake using ingredients from stores with our new mixer (bought with wedding vouchers but need to justify the purchase by using it)
    Keep an eye out for roadkill pennies when out walking poochy
    Finish book and start one I've already bought on the kindle
    Loads to do at work as usual. I've asked if I can work on another extra project which will mean doing 10 hours per week on top of full-time. Should bring in an additional £1500 which will go towards the house deposit. The northern saying "shy bairns get no smarties" applies so I've asked my manager and he says he can't see any reason why not!

I think that's it for now. Does anyone have a cheap and easy homemade hummus recipe they don't mind sharing? Sick of spending £1.50 on a small pot!
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Mortgage Free January 2048 June 2032
    Long-Term Savings Pot £8750
    DS welcomed 12/2/20 <3
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hi everyone :hello:
    Thanks for the starter this week Ziggy - hope that you're feeling a bit better now. I too am still suffering a bit health wise. I had my blood tests today so now I just need to get in the queue for a doctors appointment for all the results. I'm kind of hoping that there is something that has a quick fix. I don't fancy the thought of having to tackle my stress levels...
    Hi twiggy - bad luck with the double insuring/Sky scamming. I really feel for you...
    Not a nsd today but about as productive as I get at the moment... I have
    ;) checked banking and PAD to money box
    ;) produced a list of annoying jobs
    ;) popped to BM bargains to get enough snacks for school during the week
    ;) marked a set of books
    ;) had my blood tests and ECG and I didn't faint (this is a big deal for me)
    ;) washed dishes and a load of washing done
    ;) planned for tomorrow
    ;) meals from stores
    ;) prepped packed lunches
    ;) Gotten on with handmade Christmas.
    Hope everyone is doing ok - apologies for my prolonged absences at the moment. Life is getting the better of me.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    princess pea here is a recipe I am making tomorrow

https://weezl.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/houmous/

I haven't made it yet so can't vouch for it

welcome back twiggy!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Thanks for starting this week's thread Ziggy - good luck with the bathroom :)
    Welcome back Twiggy :)
    CCL, hope your tests yield some answers to your tiredness /feeling poorly.

:hello: Happy Monday to everyone else

Today I have:
    Done a wash and mostly dried it on the line :) Need to put on the airer in front of the stove overnight
    Dog walks x 2 - free exercise
    Visited sales unit, tidied up and added some new stock. Very little seems to be selling there at the moment.
    Sold 3 items on ebay, need to wrap ready for posting tomorrow
    HM meals from stores, used up more bits from fridge, plus a freezer item :)
    Given the bathroom a really good clean, with stardrops and microfibre cloths (plus loo cleaner and mop and bucket for the floor of course!) I even cleaned the leaves of the bathroom plants :rotfl:
    Cleaned first landing and main bedroom

Better get on and pack those ebay parcels!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure