The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, good YS haul :j :j

We've not bought anything today but have acquired a bag of veg from Mr cheery's family who are going away so won't use it :j
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am overweight (very) - all my own fault, managed to lose nearly 3 st after being diagnosed with diabetes, struggled with losing more, been through a total hip replacement, yo-yo'ed up and down ever since but still under my original (pre-diagnosis) weight.

Don't drink alcohol at all. Never drank much and if I am going to consume 'empty' calories, I'd rather have chocolate and or cake. Also the things I did drink (usually at family gatherings/ aka funerals) had lemoade added (black Irish drink or martini if I was going to drink lots - alcohol not volume) and venues tend not to have the sugar free versions. Miss fruit juice more. Diet de-caff coke (diet if 'out') and fizzy water are as exciting as my life gets these days (had a glass of prosecco at my cousin's 60'th - nearly 2 years ago). Also alcohol makes you sleepy and I can barely stay awake as it is.

Exercise - want to, would love to but struggling with the bug that came to stay (11- 12 weeks now) which leaves me weak as a kitten a lot of the time. Test results came back Wednesday, 2 flagged as needing to see the doctor, so receptionist made me one for Thursday. Good news - I don't have cancer. However my immune system is severly compromised, probably by the diabetes so I am going to have to live with this every winter? eek. I will survive. Plus, they will continue to monitor me for myaesthenis gravis (complete collapse of immune system and loss of control over some bits - like not being able to close your mouth, swallow food) as it's very rare but mum has it. Oh joy!

I was pondering whether I felt middle-aged, then realised that, as I am 59 in a few weeks, I am about to fall out of that bracket, so what comes next. Will I be old?

However I still, mostly, feel 24 inside and am constantly frustrated that I can't walk for 3 hours a day and that my body doesn't do what I want it to (I know that I have let my body down, taking it for granted for many years).

Have re-started having lots of raw veg over the festive period (with ys dips, so cheap it would have been daft to make them). Following Beanie's sagacity I will be plodding and taking baby steps (not going on a diet with 96 rules, will have carrot and celery sticks in the fridge). Will start plodding round the car park as soon as the frost goes - still aching since the fall 4 weeks ago so if I go round and round the car park I can go in when I hurt too much. Will try doing modified sit ups on the bed - getting down to the floor takes far too long and I might need DS3 to get me up again. I won't be a burden to my children, they won't let me (although DS3 is starting to be a very good chinchilla dadddy).

So onwards and upwards, it's only a number and we won't let numbers define us. Happy New Year in advance.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MN that sounds a very sensible approach - no point setting unrealistic goals on diet and exercise. The car park loop is a good idea (as long as nobody reports the mad woman casing the joint :rotfl:).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

mothernerd - I agree with gally's comments about setting realistic goals for excercise and food intake. I'm also a fan of the 'low-tech' approach when it comes to excercise, so bravo on the car park circuits - sounds eminently sensible to me!

I also didn't realise that diabetes compromised the immune system - you learn something new every day. I had to have a test for Gestational Diabetes when pregnant, simply because of age. You can't tell someone's diabetes status just by looking at them, and I suppose GD is no different. But the HCA doing the test didn't understand why I was there. I was just grateful that the liquid glucose drink wasn't as vile as everyone had said it was. I've no sweet tooth at the best of times, and was worried it would make me wretch. But it didn't. And I had 2 hours in a warm room to legitimately waste crochetting, (pity waiting room seats aren't comfortable), so not all bad - plus I didn't register for GD, so all good in the end :D

Friday today.

We should be having pizza and hm wedges later. Probably a black olive one, as although I have got some of the mrL 'pick of the week' mushrooms (49p 350g), I think I will use them for other things.

We had Jack Monroe's gigantes plaki (butter beans in tomato sauce - but I didn't have feta, so left it out) in a buddha bowl for tea last night with basmati rice and broccoli. It was late when I dished up, so it just got slopped on the plate and scoffed - no pic :( Oh and I forgot to say that on Wednesday night, I ended up using the boil-in-the-bag buckwheat with the beetroot and bay bourginon. I cooked it for the right amount of time this time, but it was still claggy :( I have one pouch left, and the box did only cost £1 for 4 100g pouches, so not too bad, but I don't think that I will buy it again. I don't recall buckwheat bought from elsewhere (not boil-in-the-bag) being so claggy when cooked. But that might be my memory - it's been a while since I've bought/cooked any.

Right, best set too. I was going to say that we needed nothing today. But the thermometer decided that the battery had been used up last night, so I may well need to get a replacement - that is if I can work out to read what type of button battery I need to replace it. Dashed if I can make the lettering/numbers out. It came from b00ts, so maybe they might know...................

*ahem*

Shifting-tail-feathers.............. now :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, we wandered off to see how far it was. It was just far enough today - the black ice on pavements in the housing estates always makes it a bit of a fraught journey, so, yes, definitely just far enough.

I have ordered a battery for the thermometer from mApl1ns (hi-di-hi), because it is obviously too much trouble to have one on the shelf, in the shop....... Let's hope it doesn't take forever to come into the shop, otherwise I shall just plain be kicking myself for not ordering it online - even if I had to buy a case of them at a penny each! :rotfl:

I did some banking and money shifting, to pay some Williams that will be presented shortly :( The gal in the PO was having a 'moment' - which is entirely understandable, it's been a busy time for them, but I'm hopeful that my deposit hasn't been taken, only to disappear into the ether........ still, I have my receipt and stamped stub, so there is a paper trail, at least.

Didn't spot any YS'd bargains today, and only purchased some coloured paper and a bag of apples - go me! I need some spray glue, so must revisit the online retailers that Fortune told me about, because, as much as anything, I'm not even sure if you could buy it in Greying Town anymore - I can't think of anywhere that does art supplies/materials.

I've decided against making a pizza for tea. We'll have pizza from the freezer, baked tatties and cottage cheese. I will need to make some falafel, and I might try to squeeze in a bake to make best use of the oven, but it'll depend on how long BG naps for. We're currently up to 10 mins :j

Right, must away and use my time wisely :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Glad you had a nice walk Greying :)

£land are sometimes good for button batteries, although they don't always have them and I now have a cupboard full of irrelevant ones cos they only came in a giant pack :rotfl: but I'm glad you got what you needed :j

Ooh, ten minute nap, sounds very tempting right now... :rotfl:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Baby Greying's nap lasted for....... 11 minutes......... :(:rotfl:

I did get everything done in the culinary department that I wanted to, but we've got too out of kilter over Christmas and routines are being stretched all the time :( There just are not enough hours in the day and there is always washing up in the sink :(

I bumped into a mummy from an antenatal class that we attended together, today. She's a lovely lass and it was great to natter and share what's been going on - in an absolutely non-competitive manner. She was also very good in describing something that they've encountered that it now looks like we're encountering. Gives me more confidence in my approach.

The potatoes cooked nicely for tea - they were the wilja out of the big bag. They are definitely at their best for baking and some mashing. I need to use up the contents of the fridge, it is over flowing. And the freezer is pretty stuffed too. Although I need to get on and make some veggie sausage rolls and other pastry products that use the mountain of puff pastry that I have in there - maybe then we can store F.O.O.D in there! :D I've to divvy up the bake for a start and pop that in somehow. Don't think that the pizza and frozen mixed peppers that came out have made that much difference somehow :(:rotfl:

DH and I seem to be bickering at each other lately. Probably a sure sign that we are tired. We ought to stop, because we don't have an extensive support network, we've only really got each other, so.......

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a really nice natter, with a lovely gal who is genuinely nice
    (her babs is really lovely too - all smiles today :D)

that we have food in the fridge, freezer and cupboard - we're blessed

that I'm still being made a cuppa, despite 'words
    ' :D

Thanks everso for popping in, reading and cheering me on. Appreciated. As ever. By me. Always.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Options
    aw Greying, sorry you and OH have been having words. Never pleasant. We can be very bickery in our house too - we're always MUCH worse when we're tired, and when we haven't spent enough time together just hanging out. We're both in the house together a lot, but if we're only talking arrangements, or functional things, or DIY, or work, we get out of kilter eventually. Tea is a good sign though :) xx

Glad you bumped into a pal though :j and you just reminded me I've neglected my own gratitude list lately - must get back on the case!

Sleep well x
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    Happy New Year GP, Mr GP, Baby GP and all Pilgrimers from Smilie and I new-year-smiley.gif

animation-happy-new-year.gif
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Thanks Upsidedown Bear - hope 2017 is spiffing for you too.

Thanks to you and smilie for all the wonderful and often 'spot on' gifs, smilies and general support throughout 2016. Polite request for more of the same in 2017 :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure