BT BroadBand issues and cancellation

Options
Gary_Lama
Gary_Lama Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 30 October 2014 at 3:56PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi There,

Just looking for a bit of advice about cancelling my broadband contract with BT which has 5 months left to run. I don't usually post on forums but I'm pretty angry because I've had to take half a day holiday from work waiting for a broadband engineer who never showed up.

Basically issue started on Tuesday 14th October with my router flashing orange and no phone line. Left it a day to resolve itself but when I came home on wednesday the issue was still there so used my mobile to phone the call centre where I was waiting for roughly half an hour(not cheap on a prepaid contract!). After various expensive calls the phoneline issue was fixed on 28th October, but router was still flashing orange.

Don't want to bore anyone with to many details but on Tuesday (28th October) I had to take the afternoon of work for the line engineer to come around and confirm the line was working ok. Broadband problem still there so I phoned the call centre back who again performed the usual line checks and asked to arrange an appointment for yet another call from the service monitoring team in 2 days. Not being happy with this issue dragging on so long I called the complaints department asking if they can show a bit more urgency in this, and they responded by scheduling a broadband engineer to attend today (30th oct) between 8am and 1pm. Called complaints at 1pm after they hadn't shown. I told them I'm not prepared to take anymore time off work waiting for them to show as I don't have many holiday days left, so we either arrange something outside normal working hours or we cancel the contract. I'm still waiting a call back about the out of hours engineer visit so I assume its not an option.

I've lost confidence in them being able to resolve this issue anytime soon and the back office departments there seem to be a total shambles.

If anyone's still reading can you tell me if you think this is a breach of contract from BT, I am aware that they have also increased the line rental charge, could this be another angle from which to free myself of these time and money wasters? Thanks

Comments

• Having more or less the same issues as you but Im with Virgin Media and need to know how to get out of our contract - Im sure they've breached their contract for various reasons but they refuse to release me unless I pay a £250 cancellation fee!

If you ever find out how to get out of your contract early, pls let me know on what grounds you did it, because Im absolutely fuming with the service we're receiving (or lack of!)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have had the price increase letter or email and some of your prices go up you have 30 days to cancel . See MSE forum posts .
    The failure to repair in such a short space of time on a non business contract will require you to break the contract and pay the remaining months .
    Difficult to understand from your post where the problem could be .
    Line Ok
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport