Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• catnicex
    catnicex Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I am looking at the possibility to switch...and I am a bit puzzled by the system...

I would appreciate some advice please.

I am currently on E.On/Energy Plan, dual fuel.

From May 2010 to Apr 2011 I paid a monthly average of £43 for gas and £26 for electricity (real data).

I inputed these data on a couple of comparison websites and these are the results:

Simply Switch (+£40 cashback):
    Scottish Power, Online Energy Saver 14 - total savings £108
    Scottish Power, Direct - £93
    NPower, Signonline v22 - £75
    EDF, Online Saver V12 - £73
    NPower, Billsaver - £70

Money Supermarket (+£30 cashback)
    Scottish Power, Online Energy Saver 14 - total savings £103
    Scottish Power, Direct - £88
    EDF, Online Saver V10 - £85
    NPower, Signonline v22 - £69
    Eon, Saveonline v7 - £69

Now...I am assuming that Scottish Power's prices don't include the announced price increase, and that however the situation will be similar if all the others move them up as well. Am i right?

What criteria would you use to decide?
    Can you enlighten me a bit please?

Many thanks!
    :A
  • Boigne
    Options
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere: 51 pages of replies is a lot to trawl through :)

I currently have a duel fuel account with British Gas which is paid by monthly direct debit. At the moment, my account is playing catch up (i.e. it's in arrears by £200) - this doesn't usually worry me as come November I'm usually in credit by a similar amount.

However, if I want to switch, will British Gas demand the full outstanding amount, does anyone know?

Regards,

Mike
  • davemidd
    davemidd Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Beware!
    I've just noticed that one of the 4 energy comparison sites is not not calculating the correct charges for EONs FixOnline 8 tariff (which I'm currently on but is due to run out next month on 1 July); they're not including the 26.4% discount (if you pay by direct debit and manage your account online) and so give a very false comparison.

energhelpline.com - do NOT include the discount
    uSwitch.com - do include the discount
    moneysupermarket.com - do include the discount
    [simplyswitch - do not list the FixOnline 8 tariff]

I happened to just use energyhelpline.com which reckoned I could switch to EDF's Fixed [EMAIL="S@ver"]S@ver[/EMAIL] 2 and pay roughly the same as I am now...but after applying my current discount, it actually works out at over £400 a year more. Now I have to cancel the switch and work things through once again. Not good.

Hopefully someone at MSE can pick this up too.
  • easilyamused
    easilyamused Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers Davemidd. We're also coming off Eon's Fix Online 8 on 1st July too, and had recently plugged our usage into a bunch of comparison sites and according to them EDF Fixed S@ver 2 and OVO Fixed seemed to be the best alternative. Wasn't sure which out of the two was best to go for, but will go back and recheck now the prices again now......
  • PUREHOMES
    PUREHOMES Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks DaveMidd for raising this.

I have found exactly the same.......it was strange how every other comparison site was saying i would be paying more!

I too am on fixonline8 which expires 1 July. I use about 8700kwh per year, just trying to figure out now which is the best tariff to move to!
  • thommy
    thommy Posts: 581 Forumite
    Options
    Boigne wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere: 51 pages of replies is a lot to trawl through :)

I currently have a duel fuel account with British Gas which is paid by monthly direct debit. At the moment, my account is playing catch up (i.e. it's in arrears by £200) - this doesn't usually worry me as come November I'm usually in credit by a similar amount.

However, if I want to switch, will British Gas demand the full outstanding amount, does anyone know?

Regards,

Mike

Yes - they'll want you to pay them for the energy you've already used. Usually, any outstanding bills have to be settled before they'll let you switch.
  • hjglen
    Options
    I used ustwitch under proviso I would receive a free case of wine which is in fact NOT the case. all you receive is a £60.00 off voucher which is only redeemable against cases costing twice that. About to phone back and tell them to undo my switch as their claim is a blatent lie!
  • hjglen
    Options
    have called them re their wine deal and they have apologised and said I will get my free case of wine - their mistake... would just be careful with this deal but they are saying they will send it!
  • mattmanson1
    Options
    Hi

I'm a Scottish Power customer, my 1 year term ends in September, after the price hike takes effect.

Am I correct in thinking that because Scottish Power have announced an un-affordable price rise then I'm able to changer energy provider without being hit with the £50 cost to change early?.

I spoke to Scottish Power and the guy said that I could but I've just received an e-mail from another at Scottish Power saying that I'm stuck with them unless I pay the £50 cost to change early.

Surely they have broken our contract by sticking the price up so high?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • davemidd
    davemidd Posts: 82 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2011 at 6:44PM
    Options
    Cheers Davemidd. We're also coming off Eon's Fix Online 8 on 1st July too, and had recently plugged our usage into a bunch of comparison sites and according to them EDF Fixed S@ver 2 and OVO Fixed seemed to be the best alternative. Wasn't sure which out of the two was best to go for, but will go back and recheck now the prices again now......
    PUREHOMES wrote: »
    Thanks DaveMidd for raising this.

I have found exactly the same.......it was strange how every other comparison site was saying i would be paying more!

I too am on fixonline8 which expires 1 July. I use about 8700kwh per year, just trying to figure out now which is the best tariff to move to!
    Yeah, I had nearly had a heart attack after deciding to just double check with u-switch yesterday and seeing how much extra we'd be paying!

Having said that, I've gone through the numbers and think in our case, as very high energy users (which needs addressing!), we're probably still best off on EDF's Fixed S@ver 2.

My assumptions/logic being:

- we're already on a great tariff and as it was fixed, we're well below the current market price as we've not been affected by any of the rises that have already happened in the last year (hence why moving to any new tariff is going to be more expensive).

- The cheapest current tariff (across all suppliers) works out ~£250 more (with Scottish Power direct) and the cheapest from our current supplier EON is ~£375 more.

Note that these prices are before any rises so assuming all suppliers put their prices up by the same amount as Scottish Power are about to do on 1 Aug (gas by 19% and electric by 10%, which on our usage works out ~14% on the total bill), that makes Scottish Power direct ~£500 more and the best EON tariff ~£640 more.

EDF Fixed S@ver 2 is ~£470 more and so although it's a lot higher than what we currently pay

- it's slightly cheaper than what Scottish power prices will rise to.
    - it's around £100 more than the best current EON prices, but I would guess that it's pretty likely that they will rise by similar, if not higher amounts
    - we'd be protected against any future rises until Oct 2012 (which I believe have been predicted)

That's my thoughts anyway :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure