Great Hunt: Have you ever had a Section 75 claim rejected?

Options
Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 11 April 2017 at 1:11PM in Consumer rights
Have you had a 'Section 75' claim rejected because you paid via a third-party firm such as Sage Pay or WorldPay?

Under Section 75 law, your credit card provider is jointly liable with the retailer for a purchase over £100 if something goes wrong.

But we're concerned you may not get this protection if a retailer uses a third-party payment firm, as we've seen some claims rejected.

The authorities refuse to give us a definitive answer, so we need your help.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, I have not.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2017 at 9:37AM
    Options
    MSE_Sam_M wrote: »
    Have you had a 'Section 75' claim rejected because you paid via a third-party firm such as Sage Pay or WorldPay?

Under Section 75 law, your credit card provider is jointly liable with the retailer for a purchase over £100 if something goes wrong.

But we're concerned you may not get this protection if a retailer uses a third-party payment firm, as we've seen some claims rejected.

The authorities refuse to give us a definitive answer, so we need your help.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
    By " the authorities" who exactly are you referring to :) The FSA?
  • chudleyette
    Options
    I haven't had a claim rejected because of it being via a third party but did book a hotel room which was appalling via hotels.com and tried to make a claim. It was rejected by my CC provider and ombudsman because my contract wasn't with hotels.com but the hotel, which felt completely unfair.
  • afm315
    Options
    How is this even a subject for discussion when the Payment Service Provider doesn't hold the funds at any point, they go straight to the acquirer to process and this is who the card issuer contacts for any claims. Worldpay is also an acquirer as well as payment service provider, perhaps this is the missing link? Interested to understand what has happened to other people as its not the process as I understand it following making a claim recently.
  • Starty
    Options
    We purchased approx £300 worth of TotsBots reusable nappies which failed in less than a year.

The retailer refused our claim and so did Natwest as the transaction went through Paypal.
  • BaldacchinoR
    BaldacchinoR Posts: 135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2017 at 4:53PM
    Options
    What about chargeback claims - under £100? Can they be rejected if made via a 3rd party, whether payment was made via a debit or a credit card?

To answer the question, yes, my S75 claim was rejected once because the purchase was made over 90 days ago, not because payment was made via a 3rd party.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about chargeback claims - under £100? Can they be rejected if made via a 3rd party, whether payment was made via a debit or a credit card?
    No, they can't.

The chargeback however, will be attempted/made against the intermediate party.
    For example, if one makes a purchase from eBay using Paypal where Paypal takes the money from a debit/credit card, them the chargeback will be against Paypal. Paypal will defend this simply because they have done everything they were requested to do - send the money to the eBay seller.

That all of course assumes that the card issuer accepts the chargeback reason.

Do remember though that the chargeback process is not enshrined in law.
  • Rhode
    Rhode Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I paid wit PayPal to stay in a hotel in Sydney Australia via Hotels.Com. When I got to hotel, they tried to charge me an extra $80 Aud for checking in after 10.00pm even though I booked room at 11pm and I was not advised by Hotels.Com on their website. I left and stayed at another hotel. I contacted hotels.com who advised they had contacted hotel for a refund on my behalf and as hotel would not give a refund and they were only a booking agent, there was nothing they could do.
    I then contacted PayPay, they investigated and refunded the cost of the hotel charge and taxi fee to next hotel.
  • Mike7485
    Options
    Tesco Mastercard refused a refund for £495 for a bike I purchased for my grandson (years ago). They stated they had completed their transaction correctly, and I obviously had no redress against the 3rd party payee.
  • Former_MSE_Faye
    Options
    Mike7485 wrote: »
    Tesco Mastercard refused a refund for £495 for a bike I purchased for my grandson (years ago). They stated they had completed their transaction correctly, and I obviously had no redress against the 3rd party payee.

Mike, would you be happy to drop me an email with a few details of what happened? I'm an MSE news reporter. faye.lipson@moneysavingexpert.com.

Many thanks,
    MSE Faye
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income