Eon billed me 450 for 14 years of unused meter, please help

Options
After moving house I have a bill for £450 for a gas pre payment meter which was unused for 14 years. The bill is for 0.08p a day for 14 years, standard daily charge. I never received a bill during the 14 years and was never contacted by eon other than to occasionally check the meter. I am now receiving the standard debt collection threats if the bill isn't payed in 2 weeks.
Surely what they are doing can not be legal, why I wasn't informed of the gradually increasing bill and why they didn't question why the meter hadn't been used for 14 years...

Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you haven't already done so, make a formal complaint to them. That should force them to investigate.

There is a code of practice on back-billing: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-back-billing-your-rights
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • probes1
    Options
    Thank you that is very helpful, I had a feeling there maybe something regarding back billing.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning probes1 and welcome to the forum,

As Ectophile has said this certainly does need investigating, it sounds like we supplied that meter although you didn't use it.

There would still be standing charge to pay for a meter that is still in a property, so we need to look at why we didn't send a statement etc. We'll also need to have a look at what meter reads we're being used. If the meter had never been used these should stay the same.

Did you contact us when you moved house? Did you provide us with your new address details and final meter reads?

As I say, contact us and we'll raise a complaint and investigate.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup - Back billing applies

The date on this first bill you've ever had is the key.
    The supplier cannot claim payment for anything supplied 12 months before the issue date on that bill.
    So 365 days back from the Bill date @ 0.08 pence per day - £29.20 + VAT = £30.66

I'm quite surprised Eon have got into this as their accounting is better than most, (That's not saying a lot ), but they must be aware of the Statute of Limitations that means even without back-billing, they cannot go back any further than 6 years

WRITE a letter headed Complaint
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 June 2017 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Complaints based on back billing are where the supplier is entirely responsible for the failure to bill. e.g. they still fail to bill after the customer has asked for such a bill

You can see more details on back billing here
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-back-billing-your-rights

All claims based on back billing are assessed individually according to their merit.

However, you may have more luck with the limitations act which prevent creditors legally enforcing debts more than 6 years old (in England & Wales)

Any bill must also be based on the applicable tariff at that time.
    Yes, you should have been receiving annual statements, and the question equally applies why you did not request one after a year or 2 if you had not received them.

I guess it would be too much to ask to see a legible image of the full, itemised bill you have been sent, so I suggest in the first instance you accept the offer by Helena @ Eon to assist you further :)

What you do need to do is contact the supplier or face a knock on the door (for which horrendous charges apply! :eek:)

Good luck!
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - Back-billing does apply

The OP states that he was contacted by Eon several times for meter readings during this 14 years, so this not a case of a customer failing to register with a supplier, then keeping quiet whilst burning gas.

It's a case of Eon failing to bill a known and properly registered customer
    Back-billing applies in spades
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has any gas been used since you moved into the property ? If not then, in the opinion of OFGEM, a deemed contract does not apply and nothing should be billed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure