Getting "shorted" when someone owes you money!

Options
Recently paid for something with friend. At the time we agreed I'd pay on credit card and then we'd sort out bank transfer when credit card bill came. Talking about few hundred quid here. Total was something like £716.

So out of the blue friend turns up with £350 cash in an envelope. Says sorry I'll have to owe you the £8.

PITA getting cash because I've got to physically pay it into the bank now and surely if you owed someone you'd round it up and they'd owe you (especially if its £8!) i.e £ Heres £360.

Of course, if they'd done a bank transfer you can't do this. Which makes me think!

I know its only £8 but I found this a bit rude. I knew at the time I'd never get that £8 and they've never mentioned it again. Bit annoyed.
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Surely everyone knows you never lend money to a friend? But if you do, you do it on the basis that anything can happen and not to expect the exact (or even any) amount back?
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Recently paid for something with friend. At the time we agreed I'd pay on credit card and then we'd sort out bank transfer when credit card bill came. Talking about few hundred quid here. Total was something like £716.

So out of the blue friend turns up with £350 cash in an envelope. Says sorry I'll have to owe you the £8.

PITA getting cash because I've got to physically pay it into the bank now and surely if you owed someone you'd round it up and they'd owe you (especially if its £8!) i.e £ Heres £360.

Of course, if they'd done a bank transfer you can't do this. Which makes me think!

I know its only £8 but I found this a bit rude. I knew at the time I'd never get that £8 and they've never mentioned it again. Bit annoyed.
    Would getting cash bother me, hell no, use it to pay for petrol, shopping, whatever, and then the money is still in the bank when you need it.
    As for £8 quid, if it bothers you that much get said friend to stand you a few coffees and jobs a goodun.
    Friend paid you back quite promptly (you said recently paid for) so frankly you've have a good outcome, find it very strange you should moan about it.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • DoaM
    Options
    find it very strange you should moan about it.

If you check some of OP's other threads, your opinion may change. ;)
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree about the cash. It is very annoying when you pay with a debit card but someone then gives you a large wad of cash! Often means a trip to the bank which is a pain
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tend to keep a float of cash at home in case of emergencies like perhaps the debit card stopping working. Doesn't everyone keep some folding on-hand at home?

But yes friends who take financial advantage of a situation like that probably aren't true friends.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Its eight quid! I normally pass that inn my water Saturday morning after a night on the lash!
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    If you check some of OP's other threads, your opinion may change. ;)

Ho hum :-)
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    An irritation, but TBH you're lucky to get back 98% of the cash. No good deed goes unpunished, and you were only stiffed for the cost of a couple of pints - that's a HUGE result lending money to a friend.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    ... and they've never mentioned it again. Bit annoyed.
    Why don't you????????
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • DoaM
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Why don't you????????

I remember that TV show as a kid too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure