Warning - Diamond Manufacturers

Options

Comments

• kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Synthetic diamonds for use as gemstones are grown by HPHT[36] or CVD[94] methods, and currently represent approximately 2% of the gem-quality diamond market.[95] They are available in yellow and blue, and to a lesser extent colorless (or white). The yellow color comes from nitrogen impurities in the manufacturing process, while the blue color comes from boron.[34] Other colors, such as pink or green, are achievable after synthesis using irradiation.[96][97] Several companies also offer memorial diamonds grown using cremated remains.[98]

Gem-quality diamonds grown in a lab can be chemically, physically and optically identical (and sometimes superior) to naturally occurring ones. The mined diamond industry has undertaken legal, marketing and distribution countermeasures to protect its market from the emerging presence of synthetic diamonds. Man-made diamonds can be distinguished by spectroscopy in the infrared, ultraviolet, or X-ray wavelengths. The DiamondView tester from De Beers uses UV fluorescence to detect trace impurities of nitrogen, nickel or other metals in HPHT or CVD diamonds.[99]

At least one maker of laboratory-grown diamonds has made public statements about being "committed to disclosure" of the nature of its diamonds, and laser-inscribes serial numbers on all of its gemstones.[94] The company web site shows an example of the lettering of one of its laser inscriptions, which includes both the words "Gemesis created" and the serial number prefix "LG" (laboratory grown).[100]
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    geerex wrote: »
    Diamonds are a cartel and only cost so much because of the gullibility of females based on a hugely successful marketing campaign decades ago.
    The fact is, their price is kept artificially high due to one company restricting supply.
    Don't believe me? Locate a source of diamonds and open a mine. De Beers will pay you millions to close it down or mothball it.
    Still don't believe me? Buy a diamond today for the best price you can find. Try to sell it on tomorrow without at east a 30% loss.

tl;dr : Cartel, gullibility.

But the majority of diamond engagement rings are purchased by men. Doesn't that make them "gullible" too, or just henpecked? :)

I've had my engagement ring for 9 years and wear it every day. To date it works out as a cost of around £2·75 per day which I think is a bargain.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    But the majority of diamond engagement rings are purchased by men. Doesn't that make them "gullible" too, or just henpecked? :)

I've had my engagement ring for 9 years and wear it every day. To date it works out as a cost of around £2·75 per day which I think is a bargain.

Gullible by proxy.

Hell, I understand why we do it. It's for an easy life. Fact is that if we hadn't been hoodwinked into the whole "diamonds are a girl's best friend" bullpoo, then people may spend money on something that is both worth it, and has value.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Buy CZ, plus a bunch of flowers a week for three years ;-)

Diamond is more common than many cheaper stones, so the value isn't in scarcity, it's in marketing.

Actually diamond has a few useful mechanical properties for drilling/cutting non-ferrous metals, but nothing like the crazy values people put on rings, otherwise we'd all be wearing crystalline boron nitride rings too!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to have my husbands ashes made into a diamond. Just trying to choose the best company to use now if anyone has any input for me.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I'm going to have my husbands ashes made into a diamond. Just trying to choose the best company to use now if anyone has any input for me.

I'm a little wary of these companies - the diamond you'll get will be tiny, discoloured, or very expensive if they really do as they say. I'd personally be inclined to suggest maybe getting some of the ashes set into a glass pendant which will last just as long and give you more creative options - and your local/some UK glass-creative place will do it for staggeringly less money. You could even get them made for the kids too - then you can take them on a cruise or business class to Australia for a month to remember him by with what you save (it'll be this order of magnitude in savings to get any diamond of any size/attractiveness)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

As i understand it, the ashes you receive after a cremation are a mixture of ashes. Not just from your nearest and dearest. I wouldn't spend large amounts of money on something like this.

I would spend my money on something else to remember your OH by.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Is it me or am i the only one who wouldn't pay for a diamond without seeing it myself first ?

Which would make you a diamond in thei proverbial
  • jamie11
    jamie11 Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting thread, I've never ever bought a diamond as jewelry, diamond cutting wheels though by the dozen.

You can't eat 'em so I see them as a completely useless mineral.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Not sure if it's the same company but I found this on Google:

Welcome and thank you for visiting Vashi (formerly Diamond Manufacturers) We're really glad that ..... 90 Long Acre, Covent Garden London WC2E 9RZ U.K..

So maybe they have changed their name.
    meer53 wrote: »
    As i understand it, the ashes you receive after a cremation are a mixture of ashes. Not just from your nearest and dearest. I wouldn't spend large amounts of money on something like this.
    I don't know if meer is correct about mixture of ashes (I'm not saying she's not, just that I've not done any research to verify) but I agree about the cost.

I picked up a brochure on 'ashes to diamonds' from a Funeral Director when we were arranging my Dad's funeral (just out of curiosity) and the cost was pretty high.

This article (yeah, I know it's the Daily Fail :p) says someone paid £5000 for a .75 carat diamond made from her husband's ashes.

It seems they are mostly canary yellow because of the nitrogen content of the ashes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure