Fury as Ryanair seats passengers 'rows apart' unless they pay to sit together

Options

Comments

• Purrpuss
    Options
    Priority boarding is a farce. I was recently on flights to and from Glasgow to Wroclaw and was supposed to have priority boarding. All one gets is exit from the airport lounge into the stairwell before the other passengers and then have to wait for a least 15 minutes before the incoming passengers disembark. Meanwhile non-priority passengers have been let through and are pushing against you. When the doors finally open and boarding is permitted non-priority passengers are pushing their way past so one does not get on board before anyone else. This happened to me on both flights so I complained and got a partial refund (about £6 per flight) No apology however but that'd be too much to expect.
  • Tigertone2000
    Options
    It's not just Ryanair - I think EasyJet may be trying the same thing: I recently went to check in my wife and I with Easyjets' computer 'randomly allocating' me seats 30F and 31D; as there were loads of empty seats available I decided to leave it for a day or two before trying again - only to be offered the same two seats! Looking at their seating plan, neither of these seats appear to exist and a quick google showed other people had the same experience. When I asked EasyJet what was going on, they waffled on about chartering different aircraft but evaded my question about how customers could book seats if incorrect seating plans were shown! I'm wondering whether it's just a scam to make customers cough up a few extra quid without simply being honest and upfront about it.....
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2017 at 9:42PM
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    I find it hard to gather much sympathy for people who are caught out by this. A seat can usually be prebooked for £2. How angry can you really be if you don't get something you don't even value enough to pay £2 for?
    That's because your moral compass may be skewed - lets be happy that the captain's compass is more on target.

The "measly two quid" that one other slightly lost soul also mentioned belongs up front within the headline ticket price, but you might not see it that way if you work in a typical 2017 UK (or Eire) corrupted corporate culture. Not exactly your fault, but some of us know better how to run fair businesses. It's difficult to rationalise such obvious rights and wrongs because it is about first principles which cheeky Michael O'Leary (who'll only be a "Sir" in his dreams) always had a knack of straying beyond.

If I have to pay two quid a leg for this or even 2p, it'll cost them 750 euros (for three separate EU261 claims I'd let them off so far) to work out the error in of their ways in their inadvertent careless handling of this particular regular customer.

Amateurs and Idiots. Warped Thinkers. They are probably doing it because it's gone quiet since Ryanair started being civilised, and they need more rabble who don't know rights from wrongs to keep the numbers up

This is something OFT should immediately clamp down upon as an unfair and misleading commercial practice. It's just as bad as arbitrary card fees being added late in the booking process which was clamped down upon ... eventually. It's worse actually because you don't get it forced on you until you try to check in.
  • starkraving
    starkraving Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know when I book with Ryanair that I have to play the game. However it is irritating when they lie to you. The seats are not randomly allocated, they are deliberately allocating seats apart. Ask any computer programmer if it's difficult to allocate random seats that ensure that the passengers on the booking sit together....

I've just flown to Zadar in Croatia from Bristol. Boarding got held up because virtually everyone was swapping seats before take off.
  • Joobsie
    Options
    Allocated 32c and my husband 08d
    Have completed complaints form as suggested.....watch this space!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    agarnett wrote: »
    The "measly two quid" that one other slightly lost soul also mentioned belongs up front within the headline ticket price

Why? If people don't care where they sit I don't see why they should be forced to pay for it just because you do. That's the kind of egocentric logic sympomatic of a "morally skewed compass" :)

In any case, seat selection IS included in the headline price if you pick the appropriate fare type (i.e. leisure plus).
  • Polmop
    Polmop Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jet 2 do the same, we have a party of 9 and they have given us 9 completely different seats
  • agarnett
    edited 8 June 2017 at 9:38AM
    Options
    When challenged by MSE on whether it had changed its policy to deliberately separate groups, a spokesperson said: "No, there has been no change. Customers who do not wish to purchase a seat are randomly allocated a seat, free of charge."
    I haven't witnessed the phenomenum firsthand yet, but I expect to very shortly based on very credible reports on this thread so far. An outright lie by Ryanair, like the above quote appears to be, is an insult to the intelligence of those of us who have flown with Ryanair since before jpsartre was out of short trousers (if jpsartre is yet out of short trousers).

If they lie so easily about this, how can they be trusted on anything else? Particularly issues directly affecting safety? Do they lie to IAA about how they monitor and maintain their rapidly ageing aircraft, for example? It is a very valid question when you get such a bald lie as the one they have apparently just told MSE.

If I was in charge of a supposedly safety-first company caught out like this, I would sack both the slippery spokesman and the director responsible for the error, and retract the bloody stupid reputation killing seat charging policy immediately.

Ryanair are not like any other airline and that includes Easyjet. Ryanair are totally in command of their seating and booking policy. They quite evidently have some of the best statisticians adjusting their pricing up and down continuously to maximise load factors and revenue. It is a beautiful statistical model for those stats people to play with - every single one of their 400 aircraft has exactly the same seating plan and they keep a database containing the details of every single customers' activity with them over years with which to decide whether or not to offer flexibility. I would not be surprised actually to find that as a very regular traveler, they may even have programmed the booking system to exclude me from this new policy and give me seats next to my normal travel partner when we travel together.

As for milking the bulk of their passengers, they patently do not need to break laws regarding unfair commercial practice in this regard, so why the hell are they apparently doing so? They adjust up front prices for the exact same flight continuously up and down over months and weeks and days by huge amounts - one particular flight price I have been monitoring has gone from £80 to £95 to £135 to £55 to £95 to £41 in as many weeks and in that order. Why are they taunting OFT by messing with these two pound unnecessary post-booking tweaks?

I do not believe in exploiting the many with a new tax-like charge on normal living habits, and favouring the few who choose to live their lives like lone wolves.

Ryanair's long-term processing of customer personal data - that's another security question - if a company is caught lying so easily, are they a safe company to hold so much data on so many people for so long? Have they also told porkies to ICO about their data security policy? I am not kidding. They must have one of the largest repositories of dangerously combined personal data on the planet. Have they ever been hacked? Could we trust them to ever tell us if they had been?

Whatever next? An extra charge payable to stop the booking engine asking your wife if she and her husband would like to sit next to a named someone who happens to be the lady you last booked to sit next to on a 2 day mid-week break for two in Majorca?

Ryanair are playing with fire.

We can only trust responsible adults to play with fire as big as this. Are they?
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 June 2017 at 10:25AM
    Options
    Purrpuss wrote: »
    Priority boarding is a farce. I was recently on flights to and from Glasgow to Wroclaw and was supposed to have priority boarding. All one gets is exit from the airport lounge into the stairwell before the other passengers and then have to wait for a least 15 minutes before the incoming passengers disembark. Meanwhile non-priority passengers have been let through and are pushing against you. When the doors finally open and boarding is permitted non-priority passengers are pushing their way past so one does not get on board before anyone else. This happened to me on both flights so I complained and got a partial refund (about £6 per flight) No apology however but that'd be too much to expect.

If I pay for greedy boardng the last thing I want is filthy scumbag steerage passengers pushing up against me in their charity shop bought clothes.
    I have a timeshare in marrrbella and as such I am not used to mixng with these common lowllfe hoards
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • agarnett
    Options
    antenna wrote: »
    If I pay for greedy boardng the last thing I want is filthy scumbag stearage passengers pushing up against me in their charity shop bought clothes.
    I have a timeshare in marrrbella and as such I am not used to mixng with these common lowlfe hoards
    'Stearage' sounds to me like there might be soap involved - I don't think that's what you meant? :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure