PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deeds Lingo - help!

Options
tightasagnats
tightasagnats Posts: 391 Forumite
edited 24 April 2017 at 8:19PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello folks, just read this in title deeds to property I am buying which is end of terrace, solictor will advise, but anyonw know what this means?

"No house or building erected on any corner plot of land may be erected so as to have a return frontage to the side road without observing any building line"

Thank you!!

I ask as I would like to extend sideways, and wonder if it just means you can't go over a certain height or have glazing or something...

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure where you read anything about height or glazing. Is there more than that one sentence?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it an end of terrace where there is a side road down side of the plot?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it means the side elevation facing the more minor road should not extend beyond the frontages of the other houses on that road. i.e. "the building line."
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think it means the side elevation facing the more minor road should not extend beyond the frontages of the other houses on that road. i.e. "the building line."

That is what I think it means.

All the OP has to do is to look where the front walls of the houses are and that will tell them how big the extension can be. By front walls I mean the actual house wall where the doors and windows are not the garden wall it there is one.
  • tightasagnats
    Options
    That's what's odd, the wall that runs along the side of the house is the BACK gardens of all the other houses. No frontages of theirs at all. No side road either, just a thin strip at the side of the house, not an alley, not mentioned on the deeds of the next door house.
  • tightasagnats
    Options
    My sense is that it may be a general clause for corner plots, and not specific to this property, so may or may not be applicable. It also mentions not running the place as an off license, which is on all the other deeds. SHame, that might have been fun.
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    That's what's odd, the wall that runs along the side of the house is the BACK gardens of all the other houses. No frontages of theirs at all. No side road either, just a thin strip at the side of the house, not an alley, not mentioned on the deeds of the next door house.

Building line could be back walls of houses. It just means that you can't build further out than any existing house wall. Not garden wall.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think the building line is always the front wall of the house, and where there's a recognisable layout in the road, building forward of that line isn't usually allowed.

I know of exceptions for detached garages on 'difficult' sites.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I live in an end terrace with a side street. Looks like I'm not allowed to extend on to the pavement then. :D
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in an end terrace with a side street. Looks like I'm not allowed to extend on to the pavement then. :D
    I extended onto the pavement with few problems.

I find that as pedestrians walk through the kitchen, offering them some tea and cake smooths things down and compensates for their inconvenience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure