PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :D busy busy here and packing on top !
    I have a 'powercut' menu somewhere will dig it out when I have a mo..
    I picked the first cucumber yesterday :j its only a mini one as I only grow them but still,I almost have a full salad just need my tomatoes to hurry up!
    The heirloom ones are looking FAB can't wait to try them,so far so good
    Have a great day all XX
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 June 2013 at 9:06AM
    Options
    People will be piling in, buying out the crisps and the chocolate biscuits first, before buying out all the real food.
    Plus milk and bread. It astounds me that in these parts, before every bank holiday or forecast of bad snow. there is a run on these items - as if life depended on them.:rotfl: But most of us would already be stocked up with flour and long life/powdered milk no?
    You'll be able to tell who the preppers are in a panic situation because we will be the ones filling our trolleys with nutritious basics (if we are there at all) and the rest of the world will have trolleys piled with milk and H*vis :)
    Apart from anything else, filling your freezer with loaves of bread in such a situation would be a terrible waste of space.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Plus milk and bread. It astounds me that in these parts, before every bank holiday or forecast of bad snow. there is a run on these items - as if life depended on them. But most of us would already be stocked up on flour and long life/powdered milk no?

Which reminds me, must get some more tinned toms - I'm down to my last tray! And I'm planning a trip to the mill next week to stock up on flour, as I've just started into the last 3 8kg bags, strong, plain & SR, although I still have a couple of the more exotic varieties in hand. This trip is dressed up as a trip to the beading shop as far as the DDs are concerned, where no doubt we'll spend twice as much on small glittery things as on essential food stocks. But they'll use those to make more money, so there is some justification for the trip!

Off to run an errand & call into the farm shop on the way back, to buy yet another sack of spuds - had hoped the spud buying would ease off once a few of the Offspring had left home, but we still go through a sack in 4 weeks - & boost the feed supply for the animals too. There's no end to it...!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 June 2013 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Morning all, D&DD I cooked the first beetroot yesterday, it did come from the polytunnel so I can't crow to loudly but I have a whole stand of them ready to use along with the little gem lettuces and a courgette plant that has one fully formed and two growing on fruits on it. I'm also picking outdoor strawberries from the garden too.

I know folks who don't even have the next meal indoors for today, let alone a store of non perishables just in case. In the event of a societal breakdown I think we would all be at equal risk, no matter how prepared we are, no matter how skilled and forward looking, no matter how many ways we know to defend ourselves and no matter how big or sharp out weapons are. If a mob is determined to take - then take they will and no action of yours will stop them. I see it as sense to make preparations for bad weather events, acts of terrorism that occur and might mean that you were confined indoors for a finite period, illness outbreaks that put you at risk if you mix with Joe Public, but I'm not going to tackle even a small and puny looter/housebreaker who has a weapon, I'd much rather say take what you want and leave us alone, our lives are worth so very much more than our stores. I think that we have to be realistic in what we could do to defend us and ours and I don't think arming ourselves to the teeth and looking scary would do anything in extreme situations than make others see us as the threat to be dealt with first and then they would take whatever they wanted to. I have a penknife, as previously stated, and that is only because it is useful and has gadgets that are useful, in my preps there is NO room for guns, big knives, crossbows or any other weaponry you can name, I couldn't hurt anyone, couldn't kill anyone for any reason, no matter what happened so I'm possibly a failure at being a prepper but I can say I'll do my damdest to survive and keep my family safe by any other methods than violence.
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I echo your thoughts Lyn. The most offensive weapons we have are two slobbery Labradors. One of them has a little bark when someone comes to the door and I'm happy to let her do that to discourage any sales people, but otherwise they are very docile! Any prepping we do is aimed at weather related problems - we've had floods in the summer and snow in the winter which have left us without power/water/access to the shops for a few days - or any other infrastructure problems or strikes which might see stocks in the shops running low. I keep a stock of long life milk so we wouldn't have to go without a cup of tea ( now that would be a real emergency) and enough tins, packets etc of food to keep us going for a while. This year I'm aiming to make more chutneys and jams and bottle some fruit rather than putting everything in the freezer. Also I hope we'll get enough apples to be able to store them away individually wrapped like my gran used to do. I hate clutter so it's quite hard to reconcile that with the prepping, but dd18 and dd16 finish their exams this week and are off till September so I have plans for them to sort out all their stuff into CS/rubbish/car boot piles and free up some space for my tins :rotfl:
  • S_Wales_Saver
    Options
    Thriftwizard

My local Morrison's has tinned tommies @4 for a £. Brand is KTC I believe. You'd be amazed how many people were buying 1 or 2?? Not me lol, more like a few trays :T

My next job is sort out the storage area. It's a bit like Arkwright's shop at the moment. DD is afraid to venture too far
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: DGDs though always want to 'play in your shop Grandma' :eek:
    Dor
  • pineapple
    Options
    Mrs L - back when a certain killer was stalking Yorkshire streets - I always seemed to have some chilli powder in my pocket. ;)
  • pineapple
    edited 11 June 2013 at 2:12PM
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I know a lot of people, and not the poorest by a long chalk, who are tapped out 10 days before payday
    I caught part of a radio phone-in on the use of food banks. The caller said he had to go to a food bank because he lost his cash and couldn't afford to buy food. Now I didn't hear the whole thing and he may well have been one of those who have no choice but to live hand to mouth. Or someone with kids - which must make it a lot more difficult. But I do wonder just how many don't have a bit of flour, pasta or rice to their name. Or who can't cobble together something from basics. Can't or won't....
  • The_Thrilla
    The_Thrilla Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Morning all.

Thrilla, excellent post.

Thank you, GreyQueen.
    A lot of people are, not to put too fine a point on it, as daft as brushes. I blame several decades of a welfare state and urban living, and the UK is a predominantly urban population.

Did you see clips and photies of the the citizens of Noo Yawk in the hours running up to SuperStorm Sandy? Bearing in mind they had been told, with several days warning, that there would be a hurricane, and to expect power outages and all sorts of chaos?

I saw people buying emergency supplies which consisted of a single handful of deli foods. As in one day's worth of snacks which required refrigeration. According to the newspapers and backed by photos, by day 5 people were raiding Dumpsters for food and complaining they had no clean clothes.

Hel-lo, people, you had several days to organise yourself, and you did a very poor job of it. How bad would your life be if a crisis hit with no warning?

Compare and contrast the preps done by one blogger who was on the very edge of SSS's path but who made sensible preps.

1. On his usual shopping day (Friday) he bought more shelf-stable and no fridge-only food, and had eaten down his fresh foods in case the power was off.

2. He was up-to-date on his laundry and his housecleaning.

3. He went onto his balcony and removed items such as table, chairs, pots which would be likely to go flying.

4. He had cash and was charged on mobiles etc, with alternative methods of heating, lighting and cooking in place.

As it happened, the edge of Sandy just clipped his area and the only one of those actions which was necessary was the removal of balcony items (neighbours had theirs blown away or damaged) but he had peace of mind, and clean clothes and clean home are things he would have done anyway.

There was also New Orleans, where they herded those people into the stadium, and left them there without food or water.

I know a lot of people, and not the poorest by a long chalk, who are tapped out 10 days before payday, who have absolutely zero savings, only and always pay by card, never carry cash beyond the odd twenty, cannot read a map to save themselves and don't own a pair of shoes you could walk in for 5 miles on a tarmacked road, never mind across country. They shiver every winter because they haven't the wit to buy a fleece or a jumper and get wet because they're way too cool to own a waterproof coat.

That sounds like one of my sons.

If you are going to hit the road and walk for miles, you would have to practise some walking. Apart from anything else, walking boots need not be friendly. You would at least have to break them in. A lot of people sneer at the people who 'do not have the right footwear,' whom they meet in the Lake District or the West Highland Way. In reality, you start off with a proper pair of walking boots; then, after the blisters come, you change into a pair of trainers or tennis shoes, and walk the next hundred miles in those. That's happened to me often enough. That's why you need to practise these things before they happen on the real run, so problems like this can be ironed out.
    What the hell will become of them in a crisis when the government cannot or will not ride to their rescue? I wouldn't fancy their chances of surviving.

Well, these are the people who are going to spill out of the towns and cities when the food runs out, and the water stops coming out of the taps. They will be in among the rows of brassicas you have painstakingly grown...
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But they probably won't know what to do with brassicas.....or that you can eat them....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure