PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to tip the removal men

Options
Hello!

We have a removal company booked for Thursday - 4 men to load, 2 of them to drive and unload about 90 miles away. Their depot is about 70 miles from our new house,

I will be baking on Wedneday, and will buy their choice of lunch from the local deli, about £5 each. There will be as much tea, coffee and juice as they need.

The full bill is about £1000.

How much, if anything, to tip on top, please?
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    your awfully generous to workers who you have already forked out a packet for.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    At what removals charge I'm sorry, but other than a bacon butty and a cuppa they are getting nothing more from me.

£1000 for what, average 6 hours work. £166 per hour (minus costs), actually they may not even get the bacon :rotfl:
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Never mind the tip, I think you're being very generous with the lunches. The tea and coffee would be my limit. I wonder - even though I don't doubt they'd pocket it with a smile - whether they'd find a tip a little condescending.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    I gave them a crate of beers (at the end, when they were leaving!)

They will probably sort their own lunch out. There's always loads of hanging around when they've left the old house and before you get the keys to the new one, even allowing for the journey.

You need the day to be as stress free as possible (my guys kept saying that to me the day before when they loaded a lot of the furniture up) so they won't be expecting you to be serving them.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ours got drinks (limited I must say as they packed the coffee and sugar the day before our actual move date - we don't use either so I didn't leave it out as an 'essential') :o

I believe they got drinks when they were unloading (once things like mugs / glasses had been located) but tbh I was too busy at the house we were leaving clearing up the odds and ends they missed, cleaning and trying to catch the cat to make myself a drink, never mind anyone else.

Since we paid nearly £1k to move less then three miles up the road, plus with all the other costs that come with moving, I don't think it even crossed my mind to tip.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• lydriver
    lydriver Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    don't think there's any figure you can put on what's reasonable

unless you're paying the bill once the job's done with cash, so you can give them extra I wouldn't bother

tipping taxi drivers/takeaway delivery etc kinda makes sense... u can just round it to the nearest tenner or whatever
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At the end of our move, I gave them 2 cases of beer (4 blokes) and had sorted hot drinks from the shop because I'd been an idiot and packed the kettle/coffee. They were happy with that. Sounds like your initial lunch/baking/drinks combo will be just fine
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    Give em £100 to share

fj
  • cjm888
    cjm888 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    i gave the three of them £20 each. that was for two days hard work packing and then unloading. Then one of the guys was off to do a full night shift after...
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello!

We have a removal company booked for Thursday - 4 men to load, 2 of them to drive and unload about 90 miles away. Their depot is about 70 miles from our new house,

I will be baking on Wedneday, and will buy their choice of lunch from the local deli, about £5 each. There will be as much tea, coffee and juice as they need.

The full bill is about £1000.

How much, if anything, to tip on top, please?

Do you tip everyone who ever does work for you? The lady that makes your coffee at Costa? A plumber, electrician, decorator, TV delivery?

They get a wage. I wouldn't imagine tipping, especially with a big bill to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure