PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I Need Help!

Options
I'm about to move in with my other half and need some serious help and advice!!!

Firstly, it will be me doing most of the cooking. We both work fulltime, but I will be home before he is, so it makes sense for me to start the meal beforehand (and leave the washing up and clearing up afterwards to him ;)).

Even though I was at uni a few years ago, I practically lived on pasta and sweet and sour chicken (not together!). However, although OH doesn't mind pasta, there's no way he would eat it four or five times a week.

Can anyone recommend some delicious, yet quick and easy (and I mean REALLY easy!) meals to cook? I have seen threads on slow cookers and am very tempted to invest in one, although OH isn't that keen on casseroles. However, is there a thread for non-slow cooker recipes? I've tried searching for one, but it keeps bringing up an error.

Also, I'm a bit weird and don't like onions or peppers in food. If I cooked anything like a casserole, I would cut the onions big and then pick them out as I know you need them in there for flavouring.

Another thing is that I've been reading about ways to cut down on weekly shopping etc, but as I've never had to do a weekly shop for two people so any hints and tips for a newbie would be most welcome! (I obviously used to shop for food when I was at uni, but all household type things came out of the house kitty and having one cupboard and one shelf in the fridge at uni isn't quite the same as having lots of cupboard space in your own house to fill with the "basics" such as flour, gravy granuals, bicarb, etc - all things that I never used to have at uni).

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you look at the MEGA themed index, there are loads of really good recipe ideas there!!! Good luck when you move!!
    Catherine x
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=69218
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Here you go, have a look on HERE

Good Luck, it'll be fine, and once you get into the swing you'll wonder why you ever worried.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then there are indeed other non-slow cooker recipes in an index. You need to follow links through to our Old Style Recipe Collection...

You can find them in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have you tried blending the veg? I made the tastiest sausage casserole using blended tomatoes, onions and carrots as the sauce, and even my fussy daughter ate it.
    Why are you doing all the cooking? What did he eat before!?
    Getting the basics gradually will make less of a dent in your budget, and cooking double or more of dishes you like and freezing them will create your own store of ready meals. Things which freeze well are bolognese sauce (which then may become chilli or lasagne with a bit of tweaking) roast potatoes, curries, cooked pulses.
    If you like takeaways try yuk sung pork, I did it last night.

1 iceberg lettuce
    block of thin rice noodles
    soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, salt and pepper
    lump of leftover pork or about 200g pork, cooked then minced
    a bunch of spring onions.

fry the noodles in very hot oil til crispy, drain on kitchen paper
    fry the onions, chopped, and pork, in 1tbs sesame oil
    add 1tbs sherry and soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste
    cook til warmed through
    add the noodles and stir til evenly mixed
    serve by spooning into lettuce leaves and eating :)you can add other veg like beansprouts, mushrooms, water chestnuts, all chopped up really small.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Or there's the shopping index HERE
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Menu planning is a god-send - it really helps to keep the costs down.

HTH
  • dormy
    dormy Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

My daughter doesn't like onions either so I just puree them to put in dishes that need them and she doesn't notice :)

I have a slow cooker and use it regularly not just for casseroles. I cook joints in it and curries. I often put a chicken in whole, then a separate bowl with potatoes in as well. Only need to do veg then when I get home.

Stir fries are also quick and easy and a good way to use leftover meat.
    "You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it." Henry Youngman
  • nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Just want to say thank you to everyone for their quick responses. I didn't get chance to reply yesterday, but everyone has been so helpful and the links you have provided are wonderful.

I'm going to spend the next few lunchtimes at work going through them and making up my own recipe collection containing all the ones that I think OH and I will like (and even add in a few "not sure" ones, as we might surprise ourselves and like them when we think we won't).

xxx
  • nic82
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    have you tried blending the veg? I made the tastiest sausage casserole using blended tomatoes, onions and carrots as the sauce, and even my fussy daughter ate it.
    Why are you doing all the cooking? What did he eat before!?
    Getting the basics gradually will make less of a dent in your budget, and cooking double or more of dishes you like and freezing them will create your own store of ready meals. Things which freeze well are bolognese sauce (which then may become chilli or lasagne with a bit of tweaking) roast potatoes, curries, cooked pulses.
    If you like takeaways try yuk sung pork, I did it last night.

Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for your reply. To answer all your questions....

I haven't tried blending the veg, but that's a brilliant idea and I will definitely try it. It will also be good for OH. Although he eats onions and mushrooms (which I don't), he doesn't like carrots (which I do) :cool:, so blending the whole lot should make us both happy. :j

The only reason I'll be doing the cooking is because I'll get home quite a bit earlier than he will from work. At weekends, he will be taking his turn! Unfortunately, he is moving in with me straight from living with his mum and dad's, so his mum has always done the cooking for him. He *thinks* he can cook, but he thinks getting turkey drummers and oven chips out of the freezer and putting them into the oven and then heating up a tin of beans is cooking.

I want to start with good habits (i.e. cooking as much from scratch as possible) and then - hopefully - they'll be easier to carry on, rather than starting with bad habits (i.e. freezer food every night) and then trying to change at a later date.

That's a really good idea about making double portions and then freezing half for another meal. I used to do this at uni sometimes since I was only cooking for one, but hadn't thought about it for the two of us.

Thank you for the yuk sung pork recipe. I shall definitely try it out.

Also, I saw on another post that you keep chickens. I mentioned it to OH as I think it is a brilliant idea and he looked horrified and asked me what was wrong with buying eggs from the farmshop? At least they're free range I suppose. I'm obviously going to have to work on my persuasion tactics though if I want to win this one!

xxx
  • nic82
    Options
    dormy wrote:
    Hi

My daughter doesn't like onions either so I just puree them to put in dishes that need them and she doesn't notice :)

Stir fries are also quick and easy and a good way to use leftover meat.

When you puree/blend vegetables, can you still taste them? I don't mind the taste of onions, I just don't like biting into them (I'm a weirdo, I know!) and I know that you need onion in most homecooked things for flavouring.

Do you have any recipes for stirfries? I've seen chinese vegetable mixes in the supermarket (I think they're Findus) but don't know how healthy these are. I know supermarkets also do fresh stirfry mixes containing beansproats, etc, but again, don't know how good these are, or whether I should just make my own. If I make my own, what vegetables are good to put in?

xxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport