Travel Money

Options
Please can anyone clear up what is the best way for me to take holiday spends to New Zealand and Fiji in a couple of weeks time? Do I take cash Stirling? get NZ dollars and whatever I need for Fiji? or take my debit card? I was reading a bit on here last night about getting a credit card and using that???? wont that cost a lot? Asda customer services tried to get me to take a travel card and put cash on and use it in wherever I went.

Please can you help as am hopeless on travel etc.

Many thanks

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A suitable 'travel' credit card will cost you nothing if used correctly, so unless you can learn quickly it may be best to avoid the complication.

Avoid cards from Asda, other supermarkets, travel agents and PO, they're bad value. Don't delay signing up for a Starling Bank account, I also suggest Loot. Take both and some cash pounds in case.

Always pay in local currency if a card terminal gives the choice, and if an ATM offers a rate to exchange your pounds be sure to decline it by selecting 'Without Conversion' (or similar) so that your card does the conversion.

https://loot.io/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Options
    Daily Limit Top Up.

I manage to dip my toe on the water and managed to open Starling Bank Account in addition to my Monzo which I have had it since a while ago.

I top it up using the Debit card and it seems to me there is a daily limit of £50 debit card top up.

Is there any particular daily limit if the top up is done via Faster Payment instead of Debitcard?

With Monzo Start in December 18, I understand we'll only be able to make one fee-free overseas withdrawal a month, up to a maximum of £200, before incurring fees.

I understand there has not been any particular limit in term of number of withdrawals and the amount to be withdrawn per month as long long as you have enough balance on your account. Is it still the case or it will be changing soon ??

Any info will be very much appreciated.
  • alwaysskint96
    alwaysskint96 Posts: 984 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2017 at 7:27PM
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Daily Limit Top Up.

I manage to dip my toe on the water and managed to open Starling Bank Account in addition to my Monzo which I have had it since a while ago.

I top it up using the Debit card and it seems to me there is a daily limit of £50 debit card top up.

Is there any particular daily limit if the top up is done via Faster Payment instead of Debitcard?

With Monzo Start in December 18, I understand we'll only be able to make one fee-free overseas withdrawal a month, up to a maximum of £200, before incurring fees.

I understand there has not been any particular limit in term of number of withdrawals and the amount to be withdrawn per month as long long as you have enough balance on your account. Is it still the case or it will be changing soon ??

Any info will be very much appreciated.

£50 is the MINIMUM top up by debit card- if you want to increase it then press the little up arrow next to the zero This is starling BTW
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Options
    £50 is the MINIMUM top up by debit card- if you want to increase it then press the little up arrow next to the zero This is starling BTW

Thanks
    Is there any particular limit in term of number of withdrawals and the amount to be withdrawn in foreign currency per month ??
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    Not with starling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills