What energy source bets for new boiler?

Options
2»

Comments

• dllive
    dllive Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks all - very helpful.

Another thought that comes to mind is an air source heat pump. I know its expensive to install, but does the government pay you each month for the energy generated? (I probably wrong about that!)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    dllive wrote: »
    Thanks all - very helpful.

Another thought that comes to mind is an air source heat pump. I know its expensive to install, but does the government pay you each month for the energy generated? (I probably wrong about that!)

If it is a air source heat pump supplying radiators/underfloor heating(i.e. not air to air) then you can qualify for RHI(Renewable Heat Initiative) payments.

You need to read up on RHI for domestic dwellings. You also need to read up on ASHPs - not everyone's cup of tea.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had a similar dilema seven years ago and when we moved to a large detached bungalow out in the sticks. We installed a hotwater heating sytem with an air source heat pump. We considered oil or LPG but decided we didn't want a big tank in the garden nor the hassle of getting it filled or the possibilyy of having the oil stolen.

It was more expensive than an oil or lpg boiler and tank but it is ver economical to run and we do get a government subsidy called the renewable Heat Incentive which in our case is £173 a quarter for 7 years which is around £4900.

We are all electric, cooking as well (induction hob and electric oven), we use a washing machine and dishwasher and my wife doesn't stint on the use of the tumble dryer (even in the summer) We are at home all day so have computers on all day. All lighting is LED and the unit provides all the hot water as we need

This year our total electricity consumption will be around 6500kwh at about 13p/kwh (incl standing charge) = £860 and I've just signed up for a similar deal for next year. Because the unit runs nearly all day we wont get any benefit from an E& off-peak tariff.

If you do investigate heatpumps be aware that it needs to be done properly by an accredited installer if you want to claim the RHI.

The system needs to be properly designed to ensure that you get the benefits, as heatpumps work differently to conventional boilers and have a lot slower response. Radiators or heat emitters have to be larger and suited to the purpose as the lower flow temperatures improve the efficiency. Insulation should be as good as you can get it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport