What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?

Options

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MagicBeans wrote: »

Plan for the weekend is to use some Tsco Finest Aberdeen Angus Steak Mince that I got YS for 40p a couple of months ago to make some spaghetti Bolognese with the copious amounts of wholewheat spaghetti that I also have lurking around. I plan to add some stuff to the sauce to jazz it up but I don't know what. Suggestions? The sauce is just a big jar of mushroom pasta sauce that i picked up as it's all I could afford and was good value. Will this do or do I really need a Bolognese sauce? To add to it I have some peppers, maybe a tomato, mushrooms, olives (not sure how well they would go...)....... hopefully it will turn out ok as I'm planning to make enough for 2 days. Gonna add some cheese on top which should improve the taste. :j;)

I don't have any experience of jar sauces really, but it seems to me, if you fry off the mince in a bit of oil, then add the peppers, tomato (not sure if you need more mushrooms in a mushroom sauce, but if you love them, go for it :)) to soften a bit, then add the sauce and cook gently till you are sure the mince is cooked through and the peppers etc are soft, it should be fine. Bolognese usually has more tomatoes in it (tinned ones are fine) but if you haven't got them, it sounds tasty, even if not strictly bolognese :) I often add a few olives to pasta sauce, why not? And cheese on top sounds great :D
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Late check in from me, as OH and I have been out for the day. We went to an arboretum, quite pricy at £10 each to get in, but a nice walk (dog came free) and we avoided the cafe, took a picnic and made our own teas and coffees :)
    My brother turned up again today, and I laid down, or rather reiterated, a few ground rules :cool: Sounds awful except these are things such as have a shower (I provide shower gel, shampoo and towels and the spare room has an ensuite) so that you don't smell bad, a reminder (again) not to smoke in the house and don't lie full length across the sofa when others want to sit down :( Long story - hopefully the anticipated work will soon take him back to his base!
    Other things:
    Returned the pair of jeans I bought in the CS the other day as they were incorrectly labelled re size. Felt a bit mean, but they were £6 and several sizes bigger than labelled - I think they had taken the US size, also stated, and equated it to the UK one :eek: They were also quite tatty, when closely inspected :(
    They were happy to refund. I did take along a freshly washed and ironed designer label shirt that OH doesn't like, as a donation, to soften the blow :o Goodness knows what price they will put on that :eek: Much more than the much cheaper charity shop we bought it from, I am sure :rotfl:
    Used the shepherds pie base I made the other day, topped with leftover mash and a bit of grated cheese stretched with veg from the freezer for dinner - late-ish back and didn't want to dig and clean carrots and leeks :o
    Needed some extra shopping given an extra large stomach to feed for at least a few days, so did that.
    One of my late paying ebay buyers has now paid, so I have packed their item ready to post tomorrow. Used RM surveys stamps :D
    Speaking of which, I had an unpaid item to collect from the post office this morning :( Cost me £2 and it was a RM surveys letter. Not sure what happened there. I have emailed them and asked for the £2 to be refunded.
    Can't think of anything else... must do better tomorrow!
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi.
    May I join in with this sensible group. I am returning, as I was debt free but due to 'life' and the DWP taking away one of my children's DLA (despite him still have and always will have a disability!) which has knock on effect on tax credits, our family budget is now over £600 down every month!
    T :D

Hi Welcome,

Please, Please go through the appeals process if you haven't done so, a high number get through, also you can put in a fresh application and there is loads of advice on online in filling in the forms. Don't give up if you feel your child has higher care needs than a typical child of the name age.

PM me if you need some weblinks for filling in the forms and there are many DLA facebook groups too.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MagicBeans, I always grate an equal amount of carrot to the mince to make it go further and it *looks* the same:D Likewise I always add a tin of chopped tomatoes to the sauce.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Day 5 in the new job and still enjoying it. I came home with lots of lovely 75% off cheese by taking my break right after it had been reduced and buying it quickly before anyone else could! I love cheese, I am in cheese heaven :D

My stuff has apparently arrived at Amazon but doesn't appear to be live yet, I need to start selling something soon to pay for my cheese habit!

I start at 7am :eek: tomorrow morning so an early night is in order.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • baggybreeches
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Returned the pair of jeans I bought in the CS the other day as they were incorrectly labelled re size. Felt a bit mean, but they were £6 and several sizes bigger than labelled - I think they had taken the US size, also stated, and equated it to the UK one :eek: They were also quite tatty, when closely inspected :(
    They were happy to refund. I did take along a freshly washed and ironed designer label shirt that OH doesn't like, as a donation, to soften the blow :o Goodness knows what price they will put on that :eek: Much more than the much cheaper charity shop we bought it from, I am sure :rotfl:
    This reminds me of many years ago I took my OH's very very dated grey suit to a CS, a week later a pal asked him to be best man at his wedding (in the days before matching suits for everyone) I rushed back to see if I could buy it back but there was no sign of his suit, so I bought a much nicer Burtons navy suit which I think was £5, he still wears it now over 20 years later so I reckon it was a proper bargain!:rotfl::T:beer:
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    DNMS the damage to my car has really played on my mind. The hassles of phone calls are now beginning but I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it.

really sorry you're going through this. Wish this was facebook and I can hit a crying face instead of the thanks button. This too shall pass, and will be ok. But for now it'll be a massive ballache. What a kn0bjockey :mad:
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    not much to report today :o

woke up late, was 1/2 hour late to work. But no one else in so no hassle there! :o:rotfl:

LSD as only got milk, bread and a bar of choc for madam

took note of mileage

haven't eaten all day, and not even hungry right now so kind of a saving right?! :rotfl:

oh brought me home some bright violet colour and 2 glass jars so I can make some sugar scrub as a gift

That is it! Gosh well at least I'm not spending!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys ... first week back on the debt busting and I'm starting to fell better being in control ��

I was late for job 1 this morning due to blooming delayed trains so I had to stay later then as a knock on I finished job 2 late so its straight to bed as I'm up early for work again in the morning.

At least with all the running around between jobs today turned out to be a NSD. OH is treating me to a cinema trip tomorrow night .. I'm treating him to HM pizzas after ;)

Then day off Sunday ... yay ... boys are at their dads this weekend so I should get some jobs done but all I've thought about is chilling with a box set all day decisions decisions lol ...

Hope everyone has a cracking weekend
    Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    dads this weekend so I should get some jobs done but all I've thought about is chilling with a box set all day decisions decisions lol ...

Hope everyone has a cracking weekend
    Lisa x

man that is the easiest dilemma EVER! Of course chilling out wins, hands down. It's what you desire so will bring you joy and energy. Who knows you may be so energised you get a few jobs done later on. Man if you are in an accident on Monday and are lying on your death bed (sorry for the phrase!) you are not going to be saying "thank goodness I did those chores yesterday"!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills