Thailand ATM charges updated

Options
I hold a (UK) Halifax clarity credit card and find I can get Thai currency without Thai bank or ATM charges, but only at Bangkok Bank branches, (I used these, this month, February 2017, in Tesco Lotus stores in Chiang Mai, on route108, and Tak, on route 12, These in-store banks open on Saturdays and Sundays ). Documents required: Passport, Credit card and PIN.The Halifax card charges interest, about 12%, but by paying off the advance as soon as it appears on your statement by internet banking this can be minimized. Suggest you do not try to pre-load card with credit, banks do not like this and may cancel it. The withdrawal limit should be the available balance on your card, but I did not test this.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So you were able to withdraw cash 'over the counter' at branches of Bangkok Bank Ltd with your Clarity card, but not at any other banks?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    You can do the same at other banks..
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting that you used your PIN to get money over-the-counter -- I hope you did not have to tell it to anyone!
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use my PIN when taking a cash advance.
  • dannic6
    Options
    Hi
    What other banks allow you to do this? I'm going to Bangkok and Phuket in 2 weeks. Also can I do this in Phuket?
    Note I've got the Halifax clarity card.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's potentially even more of a bonus now as a couple of the banks have put their charges up to 220 baht. The rest of the Association will surely follow.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I am off to BKK in a week or so and remember from a previous visit that the Clarity rate from an ATM was horrendously low compared to the rate of the day. Do the Thai banks load a bigger surcharge on withdrawals with credit cards? The rate when using clarity in shops or the hotel was as expected.
    I don't normally take much local currency when travelling but learning from experience on this trip I am taking no chances on being caught short again and taking a few £000 in Bahts.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    I am off to BKK in a week or so and remember from a previous visit that the Clarity rate from an ATM was horrendously low compared to the rate of the day. Do the Thai banks load a bigger surcharge on withdrawals with credit cards? The rate when using clarity in shops or the hotel was as expected.
    I don't normally take much local currency when travelling but learning from experience on this trip I am taking no chances on being caught short again and taking a few £000 in Bahts.

The rate would have been that set by Mastercard, which is pretty much as good as you get. A couple of reasons you may have lost out is that you accepted the ATM's kind offer to do the conversion for you (always a no-no) or didn't notice the ATM fee mentioned in the post before yours.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    The rate would have been that set by Mastercard, which is pretty much as good as you get. A couple of reasons you may have lost out is that you accepted the ATM's kind offer to do the conversion for you (always a no-no) or didn't notice the ATM fee mentioned in the post before yours.
    You may be correct although I am pretty particular when using the clairity abroad. Hopefully I won't need to use at an ATM on this trip, thanks for the heads up.:)
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    You may be correct although I am pretty particular when using the clairity abroad. Hopefully I won't need to use at an ATM on this trip, thanks for the heads up.:)
    It's hard to miss the offer of the ATM to convert your pounds for you instead of letting MasterCard do it, or the announcement that a fee will be charged for the withdrawal.

You could try withdrawing 'over the counter' at a bank with your Clarity, as discussed above. Exchange your cash for baht in Thailand for a better rate.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport