BT going round in circles

Options
I have Infinity 1 broadband package and have had good speeds on and off over the last 14 months often up to 32 Mb. I now am recieving 17 Mb maximum, sometimes down to just 16 Mb

I have contacted BT three times over the last week

First time by chat, they said that I should only recieve 17 as the maximum I pay for is 19 and that I should be happy, this took two hours. I pointed out that I pay £34 pm and that I could recieve 17 on their £24 package. They did not see that there was a problem.

I then phoned, this was another hour and a half. He said there was an issue at the exchange and that I should be recieving at least 32Mb for where I live and that he would put in a fault report. Someone would contact me within 24hours just to confirm the issue.

No one contacted me.

I then cleared my morning to contact again, three days later.
I phoned and again went through all the turning off, turning on, have I got a filter, where is the modem situatuated, were there electrical items near it. After 40 minutes was then told that 17 Mb is reasonable. When I said that I have often recieved more than that, in fact in the 30's he disputed this. I told him that I was recieving 17 before Fibre came to this area and had changed to a fibre package as soon as possible, He said I needed to be satisfied with 17Mb.

I have often recieved more than 17. I run a small b and b , but now even just me, am finding the BBC does not like my broadband width even for radio sometimes.

Please has anyone any ideas how to stop going around in circles. I have spent almost the length of a working day trying to get some sense out of them.

Be very grateful for any advice. Thank you

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At a guess this speed problem is over WiFi .
    You need to log in to your router and post some stats .OR use your BT member community forum .

Really if its a business you need a business contract with better service level agreements .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Since you're on BT try the http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome checker by putting your Tel. No. in.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you were getting 17Mb on regular ADSL2+ you must be quite close to the exchange, if you only get around that speed on FTTC you must be quite a distance from your copper and fibre cabinets, so something doesn't add up.
    I would suggest posting on
    https://community.bt.com/
    BT representatives monitor that site and may well offer assistance.
    As already suggested you need to post your router stats, and try some speed predicting sites using your phone number or postcode to see what the acceptable speed range is for your location.
    You should also try measuring speed with your router/filter plugged into the master socket test point, using a wired connection, not WiFi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure