Installing Fibre methods

Options
2»

Comments

• societys_child
    Options
    Unsure if there is an existing line as there is only one phone socket to be found and that has no life to it
    It may simply have been disconnected at the nearest cabinet.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:29PM
    Options
    It's not really clear why you want to get a non active line installed which you can later get brought into service, seems a really strange way of installing a master phone socket to me , but obviously it's your decision.
    As already stated, the nearest thing to what you apparently want, is to pick a phone only provider that has no minimum 12/18 month term ( so in effect you can quit with 1 month notice )...these company's do exist but tend to be smaller niche providers, chose carefully though, and raise a phone line order with them.
    Typically, you get charged for the install ( could be anything from £60-£130) and 1 months rental (£20 ish) , as soon as the line is and working, give the company notice of your intention to 'cease', so for about £150 you get what you want, a newly installed but 'dead' master socket ( well a socket that was 'live' for about a month ) that can be reactivated by another Telco/ISP as and when you want.
  • Ianb2017
    Options
    The reasons for this are as stated, it is a hotel and as such will require quite a set up to keep behind the scenes and customers working well. If one was to sign up to something now, there would be at least 6 months of outgoing bills whilst work is continuing to be carried out - does that make sense....

Secondly, I already mentioned "the new floor" analogy, does it make sense to not even pursue a line of enquiry about an installation to avoid a teeth sucking engineer saying "sorry mate" as he knocks a hole in something...

I wouldn't have thought it would require a further lengthy explanation, but I guess I was wrong..
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 6:21PM
    Options
    I suspect ( unless you are ordering 'business grade' structured cabling) then you may be expecting more from a standard line install than you actually get.
    If the property is served by overhead means ( so the is a telegraph pole outside with 'drop wires' to neighbouring property's,) then all you would get is a cable drop wire from the pole to the property, the cable ingress via a hole in the wall and a surface mounted socket fitted on the inside wall pretty much where the cable enters.
    I cannot really see the advantage of this socket fitted now , but left 'dormant' for a few months , or fitted in exactly the same place shortly before you want the service to start.
    The Openreach person fitting the socket will not be touching your own equipment, connecting that would be upto you, or you would have to employ someone to do it, but it wouldn't be done by the Openreach engineer ( if you use a company that use OR 'lines' ) they certainly wouldn't be cutting into floors are walls to hide cables etc
    If the property is served by underground cabling, then you would already know where the cable enters the property and a socket would already exist.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know your location, but in my village lives the boss of a commercial TV/CCTV/internet/network business. His company supplies hotels, social housing, schools and various other places with exactly the kind of services that you describe. I suggest you Google for something like that in your locality, or ask at your local Council, who almost certainly use something similar. You could have all the infrastructure in place, paid for and inert before you needed it active.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 9:41PM
    Options
    OP do you know which providers are in the area? Do BT provide FTTC and/or Virgin Media cable the area? I mean if BT can't provide fibre but Virgin are in the area, bit of a no brainer to go with VM and get 350Mb internet being shared on a wifi network across a hotel. You don't want to be sharing a BT 8Mb ADSL line... However if a small hotel and can get BT FTTC (up to 78Mb) then it would be acceptable.

If it's a hotel, could you share the address/postcode? Would help enable us to give more accurate advice. I think you are overthinking the logistics of what's needed.

If you already have the building cat5'd up, access points ready and have the infrastructure and knowledge to sort this, then you're fine in terms of internet supply.

If you order VM - the engineer will come, if they haven't already connected up the building you can sort with them the entry point and best place... If the cable already enters the building, they'll just activate the coax already in situ. VM are likely easier to negotiate having an engineer out to reroute cable if it's already there. Openreach can be a nightmare.

If it's BT/Sky/Plusnet/Talktalk/etc and there is an inactive phone line already there, they'll reactivate that line. You can then sort the logistics of moving the BT master socket, or extending it, or living with where it is. Or paying a new connection fee (£50-120) upon ordering and say you want 'a new line' then you can negotiate with the Openreach engineer the placement of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure