MSE News: No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Bod Mor seems to be the sensible contributor. The rest of you are clearly middle class rich with time on your hands. Drinking water provision is a basic essential. This is an excellent campaign. I am so glad money saving expert supports this kind of action. (Mixer taps in wash rooms is the new way operators seek to maximise water sales.) It is a scandal.
    Of course we are, dahling.
    And welcome to MSE. ;)

And being 'middle class rich' I guess we can afford the higher flight prices.

The-Truth wrote: »
    Lovely.

Higher flight costs for us all then!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I would prefer the option of buying a bottle of water at the airport rather than having to pay higher flight costs because airports have been 'regulated' to provide free water for passengers and are recouping those costs (and more).

If anyone bothers to read the article in the original post, most airports who don't provide drinking water say to ask in restaurants/bars.

Not sure where the 'time on your hands' comes in though.
  • mertonwall
    Options
    Jersey's water fountain is in departures, after the bar, to the right in duty free, between the loos
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes it's not a big deal to get water from a bar or restaurant but it's a symptom of something much bigger, I regularly fly to a european airport and when you walk through their airport there's a night and day difference with ours. A ton of comfortable seating available all around the airport, a library / reading space, sockets clearly available etc, it's almost fun to walk around the airport. The approach we take here is to make you so miserable that you'll want to take refuge in a god awful pub at 6am.
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • EpicFishFingers
    Options
    Here's what the Luton airport water fountains look like, for anyone that cares.

Duty free area was rammed but noone else came anywhere near these

imgur [dot] com/9NpXiPY
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    reehsetin wrote: »
    Yes it's not a big deal to get water from a bar or restaurant but it's a symptom of something much bigger, I regularly fly to a european airport and when you walk through their airport there's a night and day difference with ours. A ton of comfortable seating available all around the airport, a library / reading space, sockets clearly available etc, it's almost fun to walk around the airport. The approach we take here is to make you so miserable that you'll want to take refuge in a god awful pub at 6am.

Yes, Schiphol is very nice, however, swathes of European airports are far, far worse than ours, with some being nothing more than sheds with a bar. Firenze, Bremen, CDG, Rome LdV, most of the bucket & spade airports are all bloody awful.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Yes, Schiphol is very nice, however, swathes of European airports are far, far worse than ours, with some being nothing more than sheds with a bar. Firenze, Bremen, CDG, Rome LdV, most of the bucket & spade airports are all bloody awful.
    I prefer a shed with a bar to the typical UK airport - where you pay a fortune to park, or get fined if you drop-off in the wrong place, where you can queue for ages at security and then get told solid rock is actually liquid, where you are forced to walk through a shop selling overpriced perfume to get to your gate, by which time you need a drink but the bar is full of drunks in fancy dress on a hen/stag do, when you finally do get served you've spent your daily holiday spend just on a round...

Yes a shed with a bar sound like paradise!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    I prefer a shed with a bar to the typical UK airport - where you pay a fortune to park, or get fined if you drop-off in the wrong place, where you can queue for ages at security and then get told solid rock is actually liquid, where you are forced to walk through a shop selling overpriced perfume to get to your gate, by which time you need a drink but the bar is full of drunks in fancy dress on a hen/stag do, when you finally do get served you've spent your daily holiday spend just on a round...

Yes a shed with a bar sound like paradise!

Oh yes, it's great when multiple flights are delayed and they run out of food and drink and the departure area resembles a street in Calcutta filled with thousands of sweaty people trying to share 20 seats. Absolute paradise.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Oh yes, it's great when multiple flights are delayed and they run out of food and drink and the departure area resembles a street in Calcutta filled with thousands of sweaty people trying to share 20 seats. Absolute paradise.
    Never happened to me. No security queues, no crowds, no hassle. Park right outside with no charge. Pub priced drinks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At East Midlands now.

They do have water fountains at the back of the security area by the benches you repack your hand luggage.

Maybe you need to update your article
  • jehu44
    Options
    Gatwick South Terminal no longer has water fountains. I don't think it's fair on the bar staff (and bar customers) to expect them to fill water bottles from their taps. I think buying bottled water is a waste of money and resent airports and airlines forcing us to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure