Quote for small bathroom refurb very high?

Options
Got a plumber in for a quote for a remodel of my bathroom and not sure whether it's reasonable or not. Current bathroom has the following:
bath with 200x200mm tiles above it to ceiling
remainder of walls wood panel to top of cistern level, then paper (I know, paper!)
vinyl flooring
electric shower

I want the following:
remove and dispose of old wall coverings and bath and sink
install corner shower tray and doors
install new mixer shower fed off gas
install new handbasin in corner of bathroom (can use old bath outlet pipes)
tile all walls and floors
install heated towel rail in place of current 'regular' rad

Room is small 1.6*2.3m so total area max for tiling is 19msq
He reckons 8 days work

Apart from being ceramic we didn't discuss colour or anything else about the tiles, however I've got a quote from him for all materials, disposal and labour. How he can know the price of the tiles when I even haven't chosen is beyond me. All in it's just about £3k, nearly £2k of which if for the labour.

Based on experiences of people on here, does this seem reasonable? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Seems to be on the cheap side of cheap.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    It might be cheaper to get an electric power shower such as a mira or AKW, they are thermostatic as well so you dont scold when someone runs a tap down the street.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    8 man days is probably about right, but that's £250/day per man, possibly including his assistant. Up to you if you want to pay that or not. Where in the country are you?
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    8 man days is probably about right, but that's £250/day per man, possibly including his assistant. Up to you if you want to pay that or not. Where in the country are you?

You pay that an hour in a big city.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • firely2327
    Options
    Wow, thanks for speedy reply guys. I'm in Manchester.

Not going with electric shower, they are too expensive to run... I am fond of a long shower ;)

He wants to do the 8 days as a block too, which I'm not overly happy about. I work from home a bit and would like to do that in peace. Been toying with the idea of just getting the ripping out and plumbing aspect done, and deal with the tiling myself. I'm in no rush, to get it completed and I do like doing things myself where possible. I've not done any proper tiling before myself but reckon I can manage, I'm pretty handy at diy in general but I draw the line and jobs where I could flood the place or electrocute myself!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You pay that an hour in a big city.

For a bathroom fitter? I doubt it. You know bathroom companies that charge £1500-2000/day per man?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    An average bathroom, well done is realistically around £5k.

Labour is about right, materials are cheap. I'd spend more so you don't buy cheap, pay dear.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    It might be cheaper to get an electric power shower such as a mira or AKW, they are thermostatic as well so you dont scold when someone runs a tap down the street.
    Bet your neighbours love you, telling them off whenever they use their taps. I don't quite understand why owning a thermostatic shower would stop you scolding them though?
  • firely2327
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »

Labour is about right, materials are cheap. I'd spend more so you don't buy cheap, pay dear.

Thanks, I agree on the materials side. I've already been to choose my own tiles since. He'd never bring in the materials at what he said with my chosen tiles, even with his trade discount.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Labour sounds right. £250 a day is a fairly standard rate. Though he should have discussed tiles with you because smaller tiles will be a lot more work than larger ones. I'd be inclined to spend for a higher spec if I could. Particularly for things like thermostatic mixers.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport