Money Saving Spreadsheet to use in addition to Martin's

Options

Comments

• COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks eagerlearner... looks as though i dont have excell... oh poo.....
    can i down load it somewhere.... or do i need to go and buy it ?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks eagerlearner... looks as though i dont have excell... oh poo.....
    can i down load it somewhere.... or do i need to go and buy it ?

If you don't have MS Office suite (including Excel). You can download and use the completely free Open Office. This will let you open and use Excel spreadsheets (.xls format).
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks rex_mundi...... will download......now...really appreciate it.....:T
  • chrisbagsy
    Options
    great spreadsheet... I had planned to spend a few hours (days!!!) putting something like this together for myself. Thanks for taking your time to generate and disseminate it!!!
    Thanks
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to EagerLearner, this is perfect - saves all those post it notes dotted around the place with random figures for my savings account!

I have a small techie question though...

On my chart the bottom dark green column does not show the total saved so far for that 'field' on the actual block itself wheras all the others do. It was showing when the original figures were there but it's not any more - any ideas how to get it to come back? I use Open Office if this makes a difference.

Thanks.
  • **purplemoon**
    Options
    I'd just like to say a huge thanks again to EagerLearner (and also Rex_Mundi for hosting the webpages) for producing this great spreadsheet :T

I've spent the last few days inputting our data and tweaking the spreadsheet to give me a complete overview of ALL our finances for the year. Fortunately I also use MS Money so locating all the data was a fairly easy task, although we did get rather a shock to see just how much we were spending on a monthly basis when we looked at the charts, especially the months where our expenditure exceeded our income!! :eek:

What I've done is to create some extra pages so each area of spending is collated together i.e. bills (gas, water, electric, phones, internet, insurances etc) essentials (groceries, pets, cars) household (DIY, repairs, furnishings, garden etc) and frills (entertainment, beauty, eating out, holidays, gym etc) and also added an income page.

Each section then has it's own chart, which I've collated all together on one page so it's easy to see at a glance where the money is going each month! Then a final chart which plots total monthly expenditure against income - that's the scary bit lol! Hopefully we'll start to see the savings pot growing each month now instead of sitting stagnant or dipping as it has done recently :o

I must say though, I couldn't have done all this without EagerLearner putting in the groundwork to create such a fantastic spreadsheet in the first place, and as such, I've learned so much more about Excel and how to use it effectively, so thankyou. :A

I'm going to nominate you for post of the month to show my appreciation :T
  • Rex_Mundi
    Options
    That's a good idea about post of the month. I'll pop over there in a while, and second any nominations for EagerLearner.

EagerLearner emailed me over a revised copy of the spreadsheet yesterday. She has tweaked one of the cells, and also put right a typo. I uploaded this yesterday afternoon.

This morning, I also added a link to the instructions page for Open Office. This could be handy for anyone that can't open this file already.

If anyone has any suggestions for additions on either of the pages (more instructions, extra info etc), post them here, and I can edit the pages as needed.
    Fish
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    i have tired undloading the package for excel.... but there is not enough space on my computer, so hubby is going to go through the computer to sell what we can bin.... or can i just down load excel ?.........if so how do i by pass all the other stuff ?
  • Rex_Mundi
    Options
    Sounds like your hard drive is full.

You can run the Windows Disc Cleanup to empty your temp files. It's also worth going through your add/remove programs list to remove any programs you don't use anymore. I did this yesterday on an old PC, and cleared up nearly 2GB of space (unused programs).

If you only have one hard drive. It's quite easy to add a second drive to add more space. It's a simple case of making sure the jumper on the drive is set to slave, and then plugging it in (there's normally a spare plug for this on the same cable as your first HDD). This is an excellent (and fairly easy) way of adding more space to your computer.
    Fish
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    I must say though, I couldn't have done all this without EagerLearner putting in the groundwork to create such a fantastic spreadsheet in the first place, and as such, I've learned so much more about Excel and how to use it effectively, so thankyou. :A

I'm going to nominate you for post of the month to show my appreciation :T

Thanks Purplemoon - this is fantastic and I really wanted everyone to get as much out of it as possible - customising it is almost an essential as each person will have different priorities - you've done a great job and hopefully it will allow you to re-assess spending - much like I need to do (more of!) :T

Thanks for voting me on post of the month *bows humbly* - it'd be an honour but with so many deserving folk on here, that remains to be seen!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business