Currency Help

Options
Evening all,

My wife and I are travelling to Las Vegas on Wednesday and we need to exchange some currency.

Ideally I'd like to get the Halifax Clarity Credit Card but I assume it's too late to get this now?

The best option looking at the comparison site appears to be a delivery option, which is fine. However, we also have some Euros leftover from a recent trip to Ireland but I can't seem to find any rates to change Euros to Dollars?

I assume the only option here is for me to exchange the Euros back to Sterling and then the Sterling to Dollars?

If that's the case I'll be paying the fees twice, infuriating.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Simon

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    There have been a few threads recently about purchasing currency which have good advice.

You are correct it would be now too late to apply and receive a Clarity card unfortunately. Re changing Euros I would just take them with you to the States and exchange them once in Vegas.

Have a good trip.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    You can try for a Revolut emergency card. Won't hurt to apply by putting £10 on account and then going to online chat support and requesting an emergency card to be sent out. Goodness know why you left it until this moment.
    If the card doesn't arrive in time, you've only lost £5.
    If it does, you can then transfer more funds to the account.
  • siross
    siross Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I think the best thing would be to just get cash.

I've looked at changing the Euros in Vegas but the rates don't look particularly preferable?

The reason it's been left so late is that it was a surprise for my birthday last week and I'd like to take some more money with us.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    siross wrote: »
    I've looked at changing the Euros in Vegas but the rates don't look particularly preferable?
    What rates do you see? Today's mid-rate is about $1.12 / €. A reasonable rate would be 1.10...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • siross
    siross Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not seen any rates but a quick search reveals rates on the strip aren't particularly preferable?

Everywhere I'm looking seems to be dollars to euros or pounds...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure