Missed credit card payment - effect on credit rating

Options
Hi

I signed up for one of these Debenhams store cards to get 20% off some Christmas shopping in December. Received the bill and paid it in full before the due date.

However, it appears that I entered the wrong reference number and the payment was bounced (I didn't notice the bounced payment).

Spoke to their collection agency this morning to pay the bill again; because it was a genuine mistake, they waived the late payment fee (£12) and any interest on the missed payment.

Is this likely to impact my credit rating given that it was genuine error and I'm a completely new customer? I am guessing not but wondered if anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends on whether the late fee was marked on your credit files.

Either ask them or check yourself.
  • antilles
    antilles Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did ask any they don't have a clue. So I guess checking it myself will be the only way! Thanks!
  • dm19
    dm19 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Something similar happened to me when a direct debit wasn't set up properly. They removed the £12 but left the interest. There isn't a missed payment marker according to clearscore, but my balance is £12 higher than my debits for the month. It looks like £12 just disappeared.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    antilles wrote: »
    I did ask any they don't have a clue. So I guess checking it myself will be the only way! Thanks!

Don't forget you will need to check all 3 credit reference agencies and not just rely on the data from 1.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure