Employer refusing expenses claim because its late

Options
Company has a rule that you've got to submit expenses within 3 months. Which I did. But there have been problems with the system and I checked why it hadn't been paid. For some reason, the claim was back as "un-submitted".

So now system flags that part of the claim is over 3 months old and you have to justify this. Manager can then OK it. So I put reason.

Manager has knocked it back and said its valid but too old. Can they do that? I wouldn't mind but its over £300.

What would next step be?
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it sounds unfair at the very least, and bordering on the criminal possibly.
    Without knowing exactly which criteria the claims have to meet, and the appeals system, it is very difficult to give a definite answer.
    Do you have any proof of when the claim was submitted?
    Has the employer a reputation for trying to cheat employees out of expenses?
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Before anyone spends a lot of effort , OP has a way of upsetting those who try to help

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5478911
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 October 2017 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Ok I'll bite.

- When, in relation to the submission of the claim, did you realise there was problems

- When did you realise it hadn't been paid, in relation to the submission

- What does your contract say about expense (as I believe your a contractor rather than an employee)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 31 October 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Sounds like you'd entered it but never hit a submit button..

If you have an expense policy and it says 3 months is the limit.. well, that's the policy and it's your managers discretion. If you have the kind of boss who will turn down a £300 expense claim because it's a bit over the limit then it would suggest you need a new job because your boss is a tool.

Or.. are you the tool, and have you wound your boss up? Personally, I'd explain to my boss that I need that £300 for XYZ, and that it would put me in hardship if it wasn't paid. I'd also have a problem going on any future business travel because of the non-payment. BUT - I'd do it nicely.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    Before anyone spends a lot of effort , OP has a way of upsetting those who try to help

You missed out the word "repeatedly" - after a few other attempts with this one, I won't be offering any advice. There's only so many times someone can play the fiddle and make people dance.... Perhaps the best advice to the OP and his family is to stop p*****g off employers and you may find that managers get more reasonable.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have the kind of boss who will turn down a £300 expense claim because it's a bit over the limit then it would suggest you need a new job because your boss is a tool.

Not always the boss personally. Cracking down on expense claims - rejecting late claims, those outwith of or in excess of the expenses policy - can be a good way for the company to save money if things are tight, if expense claims are mounting, or the management think people are simply taking the p!ss. Your boss's hands may be tied.

End of the day though, it was late, so was rejected. The amount is immaterial.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    You missed out the word "repeatedly" - after a few other attempts with this one, I won't be offering any advice. There's only so many times someone can play the fiddle and make people dance.... Perhaps the best advice to the OP and his family is to stop p*****g off employers and you may find that managers get more reasonable.

What the OP needs to do is find the common element with the carp managers....oh hang on.........
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    (Goes to check his last expenses were submitted properly)

We've got a 1 month limit. I've not tried going over it yet
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »

Look, with respect, I don't see what you're trying to achieve here apart from causing a bit of trouble for no reason....
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like you'd entered it but never hit a submit button..

If you have an expense policy and it says 3 months is the limit.. well, that's the policy and it's your managers discretion. If you have the kind of boss who will turn down a £300 expense claim because it's a bit over the limit then it would suggest you need a new job because your boss is a tool.

Or.. are you the tool, and have you wound your boss up? Personally, I'd explain to my boss that I need that £300 for XYZ, and that it would put me in hardship if it wasn't paid. I'd also have a problem going on any future business travel because of the non-payment. BUT - I'd do it nicely.

Definitely submitted. No boss tends to not make any effort to help staff out when things go wrong for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport