water pooling round my front door

Options

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    I see only 1 picture, of a path/door and wheely bin wheel. I see no water at all. I also see no DPM on the bricks.

If your garden connects with neighbour and the garden slopes up away from house, then yes the water will run off down hill.

You could dig out all that gravel bit to quite a depth and quite a way away from the house (like 2m or more trench) and fill again with loose stones as a soak away.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2017 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Has your buyer had their survey done yet ? Any competent surveyor should pick up on that wall under the gas box, something has been going on there for a long time :eek:
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/znK32tju4RdGDzQB2

Tried to add a photo. It's hard to see as the water is so clear, but there is about an inch of water over the concrete. I've been sweeping away the water onto the lawn but it keeps coming back, even when it was a dry sunny day yesterday. It's also unusually clear so I'm concerned it's coming from the water supply somewhere.

I'm not sure what that cut-off grey pipe is for, with the cable going down it, but the water seems to be coming up through it.

Any thoughts? should I try and dig down and see what's going on (I've got no idea what to look for?)

no way would surface run off be so clear, if it was coming from the neighbours it would be bringing dirt and leaves and bits of the bark with it.

This looks like a leak to me, from a water main (so clean water).
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2017 at 1:02PM
    Options
    It's that downpipe....it may be just over into the neighbouring property, difficult to tell, but it's either blocked, or doesn't even have a proper soakaway. As I, and others, have said, investigate further - and do it yourself and quickly, as you have a sale in the offing. Guttters and drainage clearing should be part of annual maintenance...

Edit... mmmm Mmmmartinsurrey might be right, if it's coming up all the time. It would be worse in wet weather, if it was a fresh water leak, but if it's only during wet weather, and worse still after a downpour, it's that downpipe!

Sort it today!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I'm not sure what that cut-off grey pipe is for, with the cable going down it, but the water seems to be coming up through it.

I really do suspect it's leaking up from your BT outlet. We had very clean water coming up out of ours. Next time it rains go outside and check and see if the flow rate increases. Ours would come pouring out in fairly heavy rain, then it would continue for quite a while after the rain stopped as the water seeped into the BT underground hole and then drained out by our house (which would explain why you are still getting it the following day when the sun is out). We never had this before the route into the house was changed as all the wires went underground and we didn't have the grey pipe arrangement as we, and you, have now.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• KaratePigeon
    Options
    I did try clearing the stones but it didn't help. the telecoms pipe was full of stones and when I took them out more water seemed to come up. crystal clear water :/ We don't have BT, we've had virgin media for about the last 5/6 years - but no idea if that's BT cables, is it still worth calling them? I'm not aware of any telecoms work being doing lately but we are at work all day so probably wouldn't know.

We haven't got any ladders so will need to pay someone to clear the guttering but will definitely get it sorted this week.

Buyer hasn't had their survey yet, only got the offer a few days ago so this is really bad timing! Worried now though. What about the mortar, can I fill that myself or will it look like I've tried to cover something up? (obviously once the water issue is fixed)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) get a couple of buckets of water on a dry day and slowly pour them out on the boundary with the neighbour near where you suspect it might be coming from (not on the neighbour's property though!).

Does the water flow down to your frnt door?

2) do the same again on your path. Does it flow back to your frot door.

3) get a ladder (and a friend with head for heights....) and pour some water (slowly) into the gutter above the door. Does it overflow and drip down? Does the downpipe leak at the bottome?

Finding the cause is a process of common sense elimination.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Something is bugging me about your photo. Can you clear it up for me?

You said you took a photo but it is difficult to see as the water is so clear but there is an inch of water there.

I see only 1 photo with a dry looking path and a bit of weed by the wheely bin wheel which is clearly not under any water.

Can you confirm the photo posted does not have 1 inch of clear water on the path?

If you have a little electric "liquids pump", then pump the water out of the telecoms pipe. see what happens.

But anyway try to put some mastic into the end of the pipe, if the pipe never dries out and so mastic is no good.... then hopefully someone will say what to use, I can't think of anything except grease, but that's not a good idea.

Thanks
  • KaratePigeon
    Options
    Lol, yes there is a deep puddle of clear water over the concrete. Not sure why it's so hard to see. It's still the same today and we haven't had any rain.

The neighbours land starts literally the other side of the wheely bin so nowhere to try and pour water really!

Can't find anyone to go up a ladder for me at short notice but found a 'maintenance man' who said he'd come and have a look tomorrow to see if he had any ideas. We've also rung BT who said they'd investigate and get back to us.

I haven't got a water pump but when I scoop the water out of the pipe it raises straight back up again and spills out so it's definitely coming up from there but I've got no idea where the pipe goes. would it still be really clear water if it's coming from the BT underground box?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    would it still be really clear water if it's coming from the BT underground box?
    It would be if the BT box is filling because of a burst water pipe nearby.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure