PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    good honest responses on her as always. If I knew what I know now! we could all say that. I could not live in a town again, don`t want to but where I am looking at has all the facilities that I could need, including the friendly community and various groups, one of which I already attended in the past two years. Other groups await, including one which does trips away for older single women. I am not ready for that yet but will involve myself when I move

My present village is lovely but very small and quiet, three buses a day, 4 miles in either direction, very limited. Tbh I also need a project, I am sat here twiddling my thumbs, having done all the de-cluttering etc.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Kittie - I think we'll call this the "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" househunt - ie getting porridge that is just the right temperature for you personally.:)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2017 at 1:10PM
    Options
    A lot to think about. I would also like to express my point of view having been a carer for a little while. Sometimes staying put becomes a noose around an aging neck. I've seen depressed people stuck in their family home dealing with constant reminders of what they've lost and loneliness. I've seen people struggling with stairs and living in their living rooms, washing at the kitchen sink and toileting in a commode that they have to have in their living room until a carer can get upstairs to empty it. I've seen properties run down, damp and over run because the older occupants are just too overwhelmed. I've seen old people who desperately want to keep their property even though their health doesn't allow so their children can inherit the house and unfortunately I have seen children become Power of Attorney and do whatever they can to ensure that elderly person stays in the house, not go into care and not having to sell the house that would be inherited.

I like money's analogy about the porridge and as we know on here we all like porridge in different ways. Salt. Yak ;)

For me, I live in a very small house that although is thick stone outer walls, the joining internal wall is simply one brick width thick. I'm already concerned about attaching a stair lift!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »

For me, I live in a very small house that although is thick stone outer walls, the joining internal wall is simply one brick width thick. I'm already concerned about attaching a stair lift!

You need not be concerned fuddle stair lift run on rails up the actual stairs not bolted to a wall, easy to fit and remove.
    With our pending move the downstairs bathroom I've always hated within house's we now consider a bonus as it would allow one level living if required. Having worked in care myself I fully intend to stay in my own home unless I lose my marble that I become dangerous to others.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    You have no idea how useful that info is to me. Thank you :)
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Hello all, it's been such a long time since I've been here! Lovely to see old favourites still here, kitty and madatha!

I used to manage to keep up with so man threads but since having my son 2.5 years ago life is a whirlwind!

I've been looking through to remind me of the jobs we'd do to prep for winter and things I'd make sure I had in. I always keep a well stocked tins cupboard and chest freezer, although I am running this down a bit for christmas bits.

I need to check through the medicine cupboards and tins. Have a tidy up outside etc. I'm sure there was a pinned list for winter prep but I haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking and reading. Hopefully I'll manage to keep up with you all now. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thanks for this, DfV - I was having a mooch around their website, as you do :D, and saw the sprouting jars. They *look* great, but the reviews are uniformly terrible abou the lids, but the really great thing is that there are pictures of the rack that they're kept on, where you can see that they're tilted downwards slightly..

If you are going into sprouting then little jars are no good, too small for water and air flow and you can build microbes. A cheap way is with kilners and a piece of tights with an elastic band. You need to rinse often via this method, at least three times a day. I have been sprouting for over 40 years and tried numerous methods but this one below is the only one I do now, far and away the easiest, no daily rinsing and the sprouts keep very well in the fridge. Takes about 3 days to get alfalfa sprouts, lovely with peanut butter. I got mine in the uk, you have to hunt them down

https://sproutpeople.org/easy-sprout-sprouter/
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that, kittie - I've been offline for a few days, so good to see this. I've tried to start sprouting previously :) after convos on here, but immediate needs took over - as they have right now, actually, the kitchen table, and some of the work surfaces, are stacked a couple of feet deep in books from the living room. Acoustic insulation installed, some white paint needs to be sloshed on, and then things can start to go back (though I have an idea about how to cut down the mahoosive, pressed mdf bookcase, to make it fit into an alcove and free up a huge amount of space in my living room, and that will take time).

Plus a probate trip next week - after that, sprouting might just be on the cards :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hi Karmakat; word to the wise - if cutting up MDF please use a face mask, the stuff produces hazardous dust when cut into.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Our internet was playing silly beggars this morning. OH rang our service provider who said the earliest they could get someone out to us was next Wednesday! OH said Sod that for a game of soldiers, and went out and bought a new router for sixty quid. It is working beautifully.

It got me thinking, how scary it is that we have become so dependant on the internet. How do you prep for an internet shutdown? I suppose you make sure mobile phones are charged up so people can communicate by text, and make sure you have food etc in store so you can manage without online shopping. Getting some books to read or DVDs to watch, instead of mindless net surfing. Talking to people in real life instead of via social media. Businesses would have a problem, though, especially if all their trade was online.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport