Samsung TV - Removing Features, Still Under Warranty

Options
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help. I bought a Smart Samsung TV from Marks and Spencer about 4.5 years ago. It came with a 5 year warranty and has been really great.

However recently Samsung has started removing many of the 'Smart' features. For example I can no longer access Youtube, Skype or Euro-sports with it.

As I said the TV was sold as a 'Smart TV' and specifically stated it could access these (it even has the logos of the above on the box).

While the TV is great, not being able to access these really makes it useless for me as I rarely watch standard TV and use the Smart functions all the time.

I know that I can buy an additional piece of hardware that will give me access to these, but I wanted to know if the retailer has any obligation to resolve the issue, as it is still in warranty. I would say it is not fit for purpose as a Smart TV anymore.

I wanted to know what your thoughts are. Please done go into what hardware I could buy (I am aware of that), I just want to know what to expect from Mark (or Samsung).

I hope this is in the correct place. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Most of these services are listed as "Subject to Status"
    So they have to rely on the providers (i.e. NetFlix, YouTube, Skype) to keep the apps up to date for that particular TV's OS.

Youtube and skype have changed their delivery format a lot over the past couple of years and now most Smart TV's will loose these services (if not already) because the apps won't be released for their TV's OS and older versions switched off.

They are basically forcing older "Smart TV" owners to either change TV's or buy something like an Amazon Firestick or Chrome Stick to give the old functionality back
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd check the advertising and description. As above, I imagine that these features are offered "subject to availability". If not, then you'd have a claim for the TV being not fit for purpose.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is it running the latest software for the model?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • S0litaire
    edited 17 July 2017 at 4:53PM
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    Is it running the latest software for the model?
    If the TV's 4-5 Years old then their would probably not be a recent update.

They tend to only support a Smart TV for 3 years, or while it's still in production. (that's what I've seen in my experience!)

And you tend to get a warning message on screen when using features which are about to end telling you the date when the service is being withdrawn.

Example :
    "Youtube" is stopping supporting all "Flash based" players this month. My LG Smart TV is one of the players affected so I will no longer be able to cast things from a Youtube tablet/phone app to my TV without getting a chromecast now
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • 97browng
    97browng Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it is running the latest version.

I know why the apps are not supported - the OS on the TV is very old (in IT Terms) and the developers are no longer writing applications in that code.

Youtube started moving away from Flash several years ago and are now stopping it completely. I assume its the same for the other Apps.

Just seems stupid that a 4 year old TV (that cost several hundred pounds) is now redundant because of this.
  • S0litaire
    Options
    it's not redundant.
    It still a functioning TV. (To be honest the thing I use the most on my Smart TV is the DNLA function to play Media from my MediaPC onto my TV.)

Shell out for a ChromeCast or Amazon stick.
    Cheaper than a whole new TV ;)
    Laters

Sol

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is why when buying a smart TV the smart functions should be way down the list of priorities when looking for a TV.

As suggested get yourself a Amazon Fire stick or a Chromecast.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who is this extra 5 year warranty with ??

Vendor and not fit for purpose is different to a manufacturers warranty .

You could try claiming against a warranty but its almost certain that the terms and conditions would exclude your problem .

You could try to claim against the vendor but if successful you wont get much for a nearly 5 year old TV circa £50 .
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    This is why my next TV won't be smart. A dongle is much easier and cheaper to replace when technology moves on.

Skype has gone because Microsoft dropped support for the older Samsung TVs, nothing Samsung can do about this. I hadn't been informed that YouTube was going but I can see now that it's gone... It was old and annoying anyway (playback from mobile devices to the TV always failed). More annoying for me is that Netflix is well out of date and doesn't support multiple users.

The warranty won't help you and Samsung will argue that this is beyond their control (which it is). Just be grateful we still have iPlayer and the other channels' apps, their days will be numbered too...
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Options
    So we don't really need smart TVs then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts