Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Happy hump day :D

Wot has Wednesday got in store for us?

The menu planner says 'something' with rice. I'm not too sure whether to dig the brown rice portions out of the freezer and pair it with the spinachy lemon hot-pot that is in there too, or whether to do something different. The difficulty with that is that I would be using up a few key ingredients, and i actually need to keep my options open, as I've invited a mummy chum over for lunch on Friday. And I've no idea what to prepare, yet. She doesn't have any intolerances, and will eat most things, so my scope is pretty wide :D But i'd like to come up with something yummy, because, well, why not? :D

We need to pop out today. To get some fresh air and exercise as as much as anything. Although I am keen to try to carry on tidying. If we could get at least 1 room sorted, well that would be a big boost. If we do go out, then I'll pick up the tv listings mag.

Right Baby Greying is starting to get fractious, so I'll quit whilst I am ahead.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Well, I am a doofus.

What on earth was I wittering on about this morning about taking stuff out of the freezer to use. I actually had a plan as to what I was going to cook for tea this eveing - and it wasn't rice.......... Doh! :doh:

There is a tenuous link to rice..... I intended to make orzotto, which, dear Reader, as you know is the pearl barley/spelt version of risotto which is made with rice! I plumped for PB, partly because the 'recipe' (actually an amalgam I did yonks ago when I had a glut of HG tommies, of 2 recipes in Lindsay Bareham's Tomato cookbook, plus a bit 'o Greyingness chucked in ;)) called for it, and partly because I had 2 portions worth sitting in the jar in the cupboard. It was also the reason that I purchased the cherry tomatoes from mrL! Lawks, I do make it hard on myself, don't I?

Anyhoo, it's kinda orzotto, but it's more spicy than perhaps a tomato risotto might be. I didn't roast the tomatoes (hadn't got the oven on for anything else) although I did chop up a couple of sun-dried tommies that I had in a jar, in the fridge. The barley was cooked with a bay leaf - adore bay! and the spices in the dish were; turmeric, allspice, paprika, cayenne and salt & pepper. Oregano and basil completed the seasoning, along with lemon zest and juice. The lemon is essential to lift the dish :D The orzotto base was, as ever, onion (red on this occasion), celery and garlic and I used a stockpot.

So, no recipe 'link' i'm afraid, but it looked like this;

050_zpsgrt2xb7c.jpg

Was tasty, autumnal food, used up stores and didn't cost the earth. Grand :D Failed on the '
    with rice' element though! :o

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

for a walk, a breath of fresh air and the sunshine - we'll gloss over getting slightly damp in 3 separate showers on the way home :(:rotfl:

saving the pennies - bagged it all up today and took some to the PO; future birthday gifts for the family 'young adults' sorted, bit by bit :D

for using up stores - when my mind played catch-up!!! :rotfl:

Ta for popping by and reading. Very, very much appreciated. By me. As ever.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

mmm, just had a look at the new mrL 'pick 'o t'week' not inspired.

The mrAl S6 is marginally better - the butternut squash and the satsumas may be worth a punt, but the previous offerings were better.

I did laugh at mrL labelling the apples 'bobbing' apples. Does anyone do that anymore? Haven't elfin safety-pin top brass clamped down on it yet? Funnily enough, that is all our halloween used to be. None of this consumer-fest, and certainly no trick or treat - aided by the fact we lived in the country, and our nearest neighbour was 100 yards away, beyond that, it was half a mile in either direction, on an unlit road that folks used as a test track for s1lverst0ne. I don't know how we'll manage that one as Baby Greying grows up. It really is something I don't support. It was ironic last year, reading several different US blogs (and the attendant comments), where the parents were paying the kids for their excess candy, in order to prevent them eating it...... say what?

Today is 'buddha bowl'. I don't know what it'll be, but I know that the protein will be egg, as that's all we have! :D

I need to pick a couple of things up from the high street, for lunch tomorrow.

If I've spare time and inclination, tidying still beckons :o And I need to finish off the menu-planner for next week, to make sure I'm using up what I have.

Plenty to keep me out of mischief then? ;)

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2016 at 9:49AM
    Options

Well, tas been a funny few days.

There have been a series of events around the towers that truly have rocked my belief in the inherent goodness of humankind. One act in particular can at best be described as highly thought-less, at worst, out and out vindictive against our household :(

It got to the stage where as each further event happened, you began to question it all as coincidence? connected? or conciously misanthropic.

Over the weekend I had carefully worked out the budget and got the 'missing' ingredients for the meal-plan this week. This just left enough to get 6L of ss milk for the food bank. The events of the weekend left me to question why was I bothering with kindness, when it wasn't headed in our direction in any great numbers. But luckily, my stubborn streak kicked in and I pressed on with my purchase. As I wandered over to the community hub, I thought how disapproving Great Aunt Maud would still be :rotfl:, As I dropped off the cartons, I was pleased that the receptionist was a little bit more smiley :D the reception was quiet - perhaps 'anyone' is better than 'no-one' ;) And as I left, folding up my carrier bag, I was relieved..... relieved to feel the blood rushing into my hand and sensation returning :rotfl:

Someone who has been a great influence in our lives this past year is retiring imminently. They are the sort of person who you want to remain in post 'forever', because they are that good; that dedicated; that vitalising. And yet, they have a 'future plan'. They will continue to transform, influence, improve, support and imbue love and themSELVES into new areas, new spheres, new genres. We took the opportunity to share how much they meant to us, and send them our love and best wishes for their future. It cost nothing, but meant everything.

Remembering the nice bits of the weekend; the lovely lunch and wonderful company of mummy chum R on Friday; the day trip out to see the changing (tree) colours of autumn; the 'firsts' and the love and support from others, far, far outweighs the petty, the small-mindedness and meaness. By a long chalk.

It is probably no surprise that I 'came across' (?) a list of Gandhi's 'fundamentals' for changing the world this morning. The thing I like about the list is that actually, it isn't about changing anyone but yourself. But the one that stood out most today was no.4 (on this particular list) - 'without action, you aren't going anywhere'.

A reminder. In print. To self ;)

Tuesday, so we've soup on the planner. A jolly nice one (made it before) gleaned from a student recipe book and for which I think I only had to buy peas for - but then (if you like them) you should always have frozen peas in your freezer, right?

Thank you for popping in and reading. It's wonderful to know that you are here.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Aw Greying, I'm so sorry you've had your faith in kindness wobbled :( how very awful :( I'm on my phone at work so cant stay (and cant think of anything intelligent to say anyway) but just wanted to say you are a good person, the world is mostly full of good people, and if any horridness comes your way it is NOT because you deserve it xxx

Some people are just (insert rude swearword of choice here)

Xxx
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    *Diving in quickly to note* OOH! You've been money tipped according to your first post! :T:T:T

And as for the other stuff - vile when it feels as though everything's against you, but you know it'll pass, don't you. People are in all shapes, sizes and types - some good, some less so. It's about balancing out the less than pleasant with the utterly lovely. I think.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    *Diving in quickly to note* OOH! You've been money tipped according to your first post! :T:T:T

Lawks! How not to live your life, by Greying Pilgrim, aged *I ain't telling* & 3 quarters :rotfl:

I don't know what it means, but thank you.........

I agree about the 'this too shall pass'. I was trying to say as much in my post - but i know that I didn't. What I meant was, that although the one thing was - inadvertently or otherwise - aimed at 'Greying Towers' I think that the other things were actually coincidental. So what I'd meant to say was that i was glad that I'd carried on with my plan regarding donating to the foodbank, because it had no connection with what happened at home; made me feel better and actually kept the *carp* separate in their own little boxes, not adversely affecting things to the point of altering behaviours. And it's given me a kick up the bum to get my act together and get out of here..........

And Cheery thank you. I have only just recently been able to access the web by mobile. Mmmm, definitely too difficult for a luddite like me to navigate/respond. I'll stick to me steam-driven table coverer for the time being :D

Well, Baby Greying and I got out and about to see how far it was, and found it to be just far enough :D I have inadvertently grasped a NSD today :j And I've pootled about doing house chores :(:T

I need to go and finish off the washing up, now that I have stopped making a mess. So that I can begin to make tea, dirty dishes and utensils and start the process all over again...... :rotfl:

Right, I'm away to action...........................

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GP - you've been tipped!!! How wonderful - methinks this little corner of t'internet might become grand central station soon! - The more the merrier! Love a good house party - even if it is virtual!!! - RT
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    GP - you've been tipped!!! How wonderful - methinks this little corner of t'internet might become grand central station soon! - The more the merrier! Love a good house party - even if it is virtual!!! - RT

You're not trying to tell me that I've got to be prepared for visitors at all times, have the best china washed and polished and put a brush through me hair every time i log on, are you?

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It is very hard when your faith in fellow human kind is rocked to the core.
    Luckily enough I then had a lovely lodger who helped to remind me that there are some lovely people in the world.
    Also through my volunteering with our local foodbank I see the good in many people.
    We all love you~~keep plodding :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure