MoneySaving Poll: Is the landline dead?

Options
Poll started 25 April 2016

Is the landline dead?

It seems the landline is dying with more and more people relying on a combination of their mobile phones and internet connections. But has it died yet?

How many of your (non-work) calls made and received are on your home phone compared to mobile/web calls?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I keep my landline for the combo deal with broadband and for chatting to my family (about twice a year)
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I only use a landline, have a mobile for emergencies in the car. Must be a dinosaur:D
  • canub
    Options
    My landline is a VOIP phone with Vonage as my provider.This also allows 2 mobiles to be connected also.All calls to other land lines for about £7/month and no line rental.
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have a landline that comes free with my bb package never used it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I just bought new landline handsets. They're great, and have many of the 'phone' features of modern mobiles - announcing callers, blocking certain phone numbers, visual answerphone and I can plug a headset in.. No way is my landline dead yet.

We live in a slightly-rural area with good internet, but terrible mobile signal. We have a mobile booster but it is really unreliable.

Our landline is reliable and it's not going anytime soon. Shame the line rental is so high.
  • Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    Options
    It could do with a supplementary question on using the phone only during periods with inclusive minutes. I have weekend only minutes and therefore only make outgoing calls during this period; the rest of the time is mobile only.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, how selfish get rid of your LL then I will have to pay a premium mobile charge every time I phone you. (I have unlimited calls to 01/02 numbers). Thanks a bunch.
  • RobV_2
    Options
    Couldn't manage without the landline. Live in a semi-rural area, no mobile reception at all in the house. And broadband is pretty poor too...
  • arenosa
    Options
    I don't have any kind of phone - I'm disabled and can't manage calls. Trying to get companies to email is a constant battle.
  • Former_MSE_Anthony
    Former_MSE_Anthony Posts: 21 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
    edited 27 April 2016 at 9:04AM
    Options
    I pay £12 a month line rental for my TalkTalk broadband, but my home phone's been shoved away in a drawer (unplugged) for at least the past four years. Too many annoying PPI calls and scams I couldn't get rid of, despite using TPS and having our number changed twice. Never used it for making calls anyway.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport