Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It popped up on my linkedin page this week and of course the parallels (other than the vast amounts of money) he has are there.

We are getting closer (bit like watching a kettle...)...

My wifes ailing mother passed away and we are now preparing our house to put on the market. Once its gone, we go.

back soon
    Marine life, sorry to hear about your family loss. I don't post often here, but I do lurk, and the loss of one of the older generation is tough, no doubt about it. Nobody seems to have picked up either on your statement, "once the house has sold, we go". Thats huge! And I'm glad, you sound like you've decided, definitively. Let us know how it goes.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Marine life, sorry to hear about your family loss. I don't post often here, but I do lurk, and the loss of one of the older generation is tough, no doubt about it. Nobody seems to have picked up either on your statement, "once the house has sold, we go". Thats huge! And I'm glad, you sound like you've decided, definitively. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you. The death of a close relative brings your own mortality into perspective.

This has been a bit of a naval gazing thread and i make no apology for taking time to take an important decision but we've now made the decision to go.

I hope the house sells quickly but we can't be too hasty as the proceeds represent around 50% of our savings required to keep us going until the pension kicks in.

We will have enough money not to work again but I want to arrange an "orderly" retreat. I've given up on the idea of asking for an extended vacation period of working - its not what we want - but i want to keep myself open to some consulting work and will ask for around 8-10 weeks of work a year to keep my hand in and provide some pocket money.

I've mentioned it before that I have a six month notice period which starts from the end of the quarter in which I hand in my notice. We won't have the house sold in March so i suspect sometime in the next quarter and (assuming we sell the house). Will be interesting to see whether they are prepared to let me go or whether they make me work the notice.

We will spend the next three months decluttering :-)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looking forwards that's all good news!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad you have made your decision, and sorry for your loss.

In the next year/2 I will be redoing my 5 bed house, and decluttering getting ready to put it on the market. In order to downsize like you are doing using the capital to buy a smaller house closer to town, and for a retirement fund.

I also have a gite to sell in france, but that may have to wait due to the economy- will get it valued this summer. My neighbor wants to buy it, my other neighbor does not want him to. Dont know what to charge for it, and will disappoint someone no matter what I do- rock and hard place anyone?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. The death of a close relative brings your own mortality into perspective.

This has been a bit of a naval gazing thread and i make no apology for taking time to take an important decision but we've now made the decision to go.
    It certainly does bring it all into focus ... my brother in law, who was 4 years younger than me, died 6 years ago now, and it shocked me to my core.
    I hope the house sells quickly but we can't be too hasty as the proceeds represent around 50% of our savings required to keep us going until the pension kicks in.

We will have enough money not to work again but I want to arrange an "orderly" retreat. I've given up on the idea of asking for an extended vacation period of working - its not what we want - but i want to keep myself open to some consulting work and will ask for around 8-10 weeks of work a year to keep my hand in and provide some pocket money.
    You've taken a lot of challenges on this thread about your timing and your decision-making, but for all of us, its true that no matter how much you write on here, no one knows what's really going on for you, internally and in your life. You're making your financial decisions as openly and as thoughtfully as you can, and thats the best any of us can do.
    We will spend the next three months decluttering :-)
    I think you're very optimistic to get the decluttering done in 3 months :rotfl::o I decluttered a huge amount of *stuff* to move here 4 years ago, and I've been doing a lot since Christmas too ... still got more! I aim to retire at the end of August next year, but I'll definitely be mobile - staying with my mum indefinitely, as she's becoming more and more infirm (she's 89 now) and renting out my own house. Hence even more decluttering to come.
    atush wrote: »
    I also have a gite to sell in france, but that may have to wait due to the economy- will get it valued this summer. My neighbor wants to buy it, my other neighbor does not want him to. Dont know what to charge for it, and will disappoint someone no matter what I do- rock and hard place anyone?
    I have an apartment in France I'd love to get shut of - bought it under the leaseback scheme, and its cost me thousands of £ every year :( but I'm not selling until I've reached the point where I don't have to repay the VAT (thats the supposed selling point of the leaseback scheme). Frankly, given the situation with property in France, you're in a great position, if you have a buyer you trust. I understand you want both your (soon to be ex) neighbours to be happy, but they'll be **ex** neighbours ... and you don't have obligations to them, after all.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • atush
    Options
    Lol. true. But one set (the ones who dont want to buy) have become friends really.

We've owned it 23 years so have fallen out of the high fees for selling property there. Plus the value isn't high.
  • DancingBadger
    Options
    Karmacat got there before me; unless you anticipate an ongoing relationship with your neighbours after you've sold up, or owe one of them big time for a personal reason, you just sell it to whoever is in a position to stump up the price you eventually decide.

It's good to help people, but at the end of the day it's your money, your life.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush, you just have to hint to neighbour A, who doesn't want neighbour B to have it that he, neighbour A, can arrange that by buying it himself.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    Options
    He can't afford it, the others are rich ex nato people who live in paris. I will get it valued and tell No1- the one who is my friend, as he says he will find someone to buy it lol.

But in the end if no one else wants it I will sell to the nato guy as my kids (apart from 1) aren't interested in going anymore. And we only use it once a year now (bought it when we lived in jersey so went all the time then).

If they pay the price I want. Looking for an estate agent in jersey who sells in france as well.

It doesn't cost me much, around 550 per year in taxes.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush wrote: »

It doesn't cost me much, around 550 per year in taxes.

Plus all the Opportunity Cost on that capital.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure