PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homeless, any advice welcome

Thank you for reading. Not sure if anyone will have any ideas on what I can do but it's worth asking.

I moved away and rented my house out. It didn't work out due to a bereavement and I was struggling to cope so tenant was issued with section 21 which has since expired. Application to the court for accelerated possession has been applied for.
Despite using a letting agent who said they only let to professional people I have ended up with an unemployed single mother on full benefits who has breached the tenancy agreement several times and failed to pay on time. I think it unlikely that she has attempted to obtain alternative housing as she has numerous pets which I have found unacceptable.

The tenant is not eligible for council housing in the area but has decided that she would rather wait til I evict so she can obtain emergency housing.

I find out the outcome of the request for possession in a bit over a week. She has, of course, been given the opportunity to defend and it's my understanding that she will be claiming to have mental health issues in order that she be given the maximum amount of time (42 days) to stay. Then, if she stays it could be a really long wait for bailiffs.

She is known to the local homeless persons unit and I've practically begged them to help to house her sooner rather than wait to eviction.

I had enough money to see me through til the end of the notice. I have a roof over my head currently but if I don't find some work in the next 7 days then I will have to forget about working and move into my car.

I have contacted the council and local mp but as a single person with no children and without any mental health issues, disabilities or addictions they say that I am not a priority.

It's reached the stage where I can't even pay the mortgage and I'm so scared I'll end up losing everything. The tenant has now stopped paying any rent at all.

I know it's a long shot but I'm pretty desperate now and any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If she's stopped paying rent, and is 2 months in arrears (ie the 2nd payment is overdue) serve a S8 ground 8 immediately. That way if your S21 fails for any reason, or she gets awarded time, you can evict via the S8.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Talk to your mortgage company if you find you can't make a payment. This come across better and will buy you time. If you've overpaid in the past you might be able to arrange a mortgage holiday? Anyway, they won't repossess for missing one payment, so that one is a bit further down the road to worry about.

I'd focus on your own situation until you hear back from the court. Try not to fuss about the eviction until you need to do something so you can focus on getting some work, a more stable roof (where are you currently living?) and a bit of hope :) who do you in the way of support - close friends, family?
  • I have tried to get a payment holiday for the mortgage but they said no as it has a tenant in it.

I have no family, and friends who do have spare rooms use them for offices or storage or they have cats etc.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you applied for benefits yourself? JSA perhaps?

Have you nowhere you can stay temporarily while you work this out?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    offices or storage

Could you squeeze in with the stored items?
  • I want to work, not claim benefits. Can't claim without an address anyway.

I would squeeze in with the storage happily. But to be honest the 'friends' are just saying about the office etc as an excuse as they don't want anyone to stay.
    I really do not have anybody. I just want my house back. It seems so unfair that she gets lots of advice and support and gets to stay in my house for as long as she wants for free while I'm on my own. She even has family.
  • What part of the country are you in?

Are there local camping sites there, and do any of your friends have camping gear they could lend you? Do any of them have a campervan you could borrow?

Do you have friends in other parts of the UK who could host you for a few weeks?

Do any of your friends/acquaintances have holidays booked - could you housesit for them while they are away?
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • I really have tried everything and asked everyone I know. I'm actually in a caravan now but won't be able to afford it for more than a week without work.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What part of the country are you in?

Are there local camping sites there, and do any of your friends have camping gear they could lend you? Do any of them have a campervan you could borrow?

Do you have friends in other parts of the UK who could host you for a few weeks?

Do any of your friends/acquaintances have holidays booked - could you housesit for them while they are away?

If they don't, freecycle is a good place for this. A friend might let you use their address for post at least?

Try not to focus on how unfair you perceive the situation to be - this is how renting works, I'm sorry it's gone wrong for you, but depriving someone of their home is serious and it has to be done according to the due process. It isn't your tenants fault that this has made you homeless, and railing at her won't get you out of this situation. Follow the process and do the best you can for yourself in the meantime :)
  • Have you contacted Shelter for advice? I certainly would in your position (well if I was restraining myself on that front....at her being so deliberately awkward....:cool:)

(Obviously including making it plain to Shelter that it's your home and you need to live in it yourself now).

EDIT; See link:

https://www.shelter.org.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family