Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2011 at 12:42PM
    Options
    skylight wrote: »
    If I purchase tickets (single ones) on Trainline, it specifies the times. Do I have to travel at those times if there are no times on the tickets or reserved seats etc?? As long as I travel in the peak or off-peak period I buy tickets for?

Primarily we are looking at going from Datchet to Eastbourne - far cheaper to get singles to Clapham and back again.

Some are priced at £11.50 and others at £17.75 or £30 for singles (3 adults, 2 kids and a F&F railcard - 3/8 to 5/8). If I buy the cheaper tickets can I travel at anytime within the peak/off-peak times?

I also want to go (On my own) from Slough to Cardiff on the 19th for the weekend. Would the tickets be timed for this one do you think so I could also travel on almost any train I wanted?

Lots of options on a really tight budget but I want to have the option of catching earlier trains to leave just in case.
    If you are using Advance Single tickets, and it sounds like you are, then the rules are that you must travel on the booked trains.
    You will have less of a problem with that between London and Eastbourne.

If you are using Anytime tickets, or Off Peak tickets, or Super Off Peak tickets, then you can travel on any train within any time constraints of that ticket.

And avoid the fees that the trainline impose by booking with a train operating company.
    The tickets will be no more expensive, and may even be cheaper.
    Maybe try South Eastern Trains.
  • NoPenniesWellies
    Options
    Hi

Hit and hope here; but was hoping that one of you experts would be able to help.
    I have got the impossible task of trying to find some cheap train tickets this weekend from newcastle (or any nearby stations) to london arriving either saturday daytime/evening or sunday morning to return sun evening.
    Is anybody able to point me in the right direction? Its for 2 adults, don't have any railcards...

Many Thanks in anticipation!

Wellies xx
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Hit and hope here; but was hoping that one of you experts would be able to help.
    I have got the impossible task of trying to find some cheap train tickets this weekend from newcastle (or any nearby stations) to london arriving either saturday daytime/evening or sunday morning to return sun evening.
    Is anybody able to point me in the right direction? Its for 2 adults, don't have any railcards...

Many Thanks in anticipation!

Wellies xx

You could try getting the Metro from Newcastle to Sunderland (£12)then catch a Grand Central Train from Sunderland to London (£168). Should knock about £40ish off the price, but Grand Central only run 4 trains a day, so less options on timings.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2011 at 7:59PM
    Options
    You could try getting the Metro from Newcastle to Sunderland (£12)then catch a Grand Central Train from Sunderland to London (£168). Should knock about £40ish off the price, but Grand Central only run 4 trains a day, so less options on timings.
    Grand Central are running a couple of promotions at the minute where it's £15 on selected trains to/from London or 20% off Grand Central only tickets from London. The £15 promotional fare is available on the 16:29 on Saturday. The 20% discount is available on the return trains on Sunday evening.

http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/home.html

Sunderland - Kings Cross 16:29 (Sat 2 July) £30
    Kings Cross - Sunderland 16:48 or 18:27 (Sun 3 July) £78.40
    Total £108.40

Less than half the price of East Coast super off-peak tickets.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^^^Nice find, knew I should have done that search on the Grand Central Website instead of the East Coast Website e5024227.jpg

There you go Nopennieswellies, split at Sunderland and if possible catch the trains AirlieBird describes and you can save loads.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • LauraCow
    LauraCow Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried pretty much most sites but I'm going to Newcastle on Saturday (Got to be there before 12) and returning on the Monday (Anytime) I know its last minute so its harder to get deals but only decided today.

I do have a 16-25 railcard but the cheapest return I can get is £49.50. Is this the cheapest I'll get? I've tried Megatrain (Alas nothing to any destination I try)

Any help, even if its shaving off a £5 is a help.
    Bubblews: &LauraCow
  • wealdroam
    Options
    LauraCow wrote: »
    I have tried pretty much most sites but I'm going to Newcastle on Saturday (Got to be there before 12) and returning on the Monday (Anytime) I know its last minute so its harder to get deals but only decided today.

I do have a 16-25 railcard but the cheapest return I can get is £49.50. Is this the cheapest I'll get? I've tried Megatrain (Alas nothing to any destination I try)

Laura, welcome to the forums.

Can you tell us where you are travelling from?
  • LauraCow
    LauraCow Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Laura, welcome to the forums.

Can you tell us where you are travelling from?

Oops sorry. Wolverhampton but can do Birmingham or Stafford too.
    Bubblews: &LauraCow
  • wealdroam
    Options

Oops sorry. Wolverhampton but can do Birmingham or Stafford too.
    How are you getting that £49.50 fare?

Maybe travel via Manchester and split tickets there and at York.

That way you can get the fare down to £44.55 using Advance Singles.

Detail from East Coast Trains website.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If 1240 is not too late an arrival megabus from Birmingham might help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income