Debit Card Expires & I live abroad

Options
Hi all,
I live out of uk and my debit expires soon. I still use it occasionally but I won't be coming back soon. I wanted to call them to ask them what can I do, but I am deaf and I cannot understand them on phone.

Do you have any suggestions?
What could possibly happen if I make someone else speak on behalf of me? What is the process of renewal an expiring debit card?
In the past I tried this once (my girlfriend spoke to them) and they -stupidly- said they need to speak to me. Like it would make a difference..

ps. I cannot afford travel back just for the debit

Comments

• tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They should automatically post one out to you about a month before it expires. Can someone forward it on to you?
  • jdran
    jdran Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, actually I have told someone to post it to me in that case, but it seems they haven't received it yet. Expiration is end of April.
    Also, I was worrying that maybe I need to activate the debit before usage.
  • jdran
    Options
    The expiring debit card bank is TSB, and in a couple of months, I ll have the same issue with Halifax.
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    "I wanted to call them to ask them what can I do, but I am deaf and I cannot understand them on phone"

Do you not have a textphone or access to a textphone? Alternatively, does. TSB and/or Halifax not allow you to change your address or correspondence address to an overseas one?
    All that glitters is not gold.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jdran wrote: »
    The expiring debit card bank is TSB, and in a couple of months, I ll have the same issue with Halifax.
    Presumably both banks aware of your accessibility needs? So something should already be in place should you need to contact them?

http://www.tsb.co.uk/accessibility/hearing_impaired.asp

http://www.halifax.co.uk/accessibility/hearingimpaired.asp
  • DebtFree14_2
    Options
    If your card expires you should not need to activate the new one. It will be sent to the registered address and the pin will be the same. I have a Lloyds account just for info.
    Current Debt
    Net Monthly Pay £2550
    [STRIKE]Barclaycard £0 / £2500 (23.9%)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Lloyds Credit Card Settled[/STRIKE]
    Lloyds Bank Loan £10200 - £456 / 36months
    Debt Free Dream:01/04/15
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Options
    Barely half way through the skool hols, and just the beginning for some I think, and we are already at this point?

Can't wait til next weekend to see the stories here on MSE.
  • yasmup
    yasmup Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    jdran wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I live out of uk ...

Let me guess. Delhi as well? :cool:
  • jdran
    Options
    Wow, so many replies! What a pleasant surprise.
    JKSandy wrote: »
    "I wanted to call them to ask them what can I do, but I am deaf and I cannot understand them on phone"
    Do you not have a textphone or access to a textphone? Alternatively, does. TSB and/or Halifax not allow you to change your address or correspondence address to an overseas one?
    Unfortunately, I do not have one nor access to a TTY. I think it wont work if I am out of UK. When I was in UK I looked for computer based TTY but I only found one with reasonless service fee (and I need to contact bank only once per year or two!). Also, banks deny contact via email for security reasons, I guess?
    Once, I was able to contact them via email using the complaints form, but ,still, they needed someone on phone again to process my request! _party_
    Last time I made someone to speak on behalf of me (imitating me) he asked if I can change my address to an overseas one and they said no.
    Presumably both banks aware of your accessibility needs? So something should already be in place should you need to contact them?
    A reply for you can be found above ;)
    DebtFree14 wrote: »
    If your card expires you should not need to activate the new one. It will be sent to the registered address and the pin will be the same. I have a Lloyds account just for info.
    Thanks for the info, it's relieving me.
    Barely half way through the skool hols, and just the beginning for some I think, and we are already at this point?
    Can't wait til next weekend to see the stories here on MSE.
    ;)
    yasmup wrote: »
    Let me guess. Delhi as well? :cool:
    No, should I? Guess again :p
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Why would anyone who doesn't live in the UK use a UK debit card abroad on a regular basis?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure