PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat Well for Less...Live on MSE

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »

I have seen the TVP mince in Holland and Barrett and was curious about it. Please don't judge me too much with what I'm about to say (I am a bit unconfident in the kitchen) but would I just cook it as i would quorn mince? Or does it need to soak or something first? Please don't judge me! :rotfl:

I now officially declare this thread a judgement- free zone.

;)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    june89 wrote: »
    I'd ditto what others have said about cutting back on Quorn. I rarely use it in veggie meals now (although I still love their peppered steak!) and use lentils, mushrooms and veggies for bulk. The value bags of peppers are great, I assume most supermarkets do them but I know Sainsbury's are 90p (from memory) for at least 4-5 large peppers which I add to everything.

I love love love quorn steaks, with some pepper sauce, chunky chips and broccoli. They were on offer last week for £1 for a pack of 2, we ate them twice, two nights in a row, they were that good.

:)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just had my first visit to Aldi to buy a few things for the last days of this month's budget.

I got chopped tomatoes (30p), kidney beans (25p) and quorn mince (£1.25). I'm making chilli and will add some oats and onion I already have, and a squeeze of tomato puree. I'm hoping to pad it out to make 6 portions, the bag of mince alone usually makes 4. Adding all that up, and assuming 10p for the onion and oats, means it will be 32p per portion.

Is that ok do you think? Plus rice, of course. It seems alright to me.

I've been meaning for a while to cost our meals but usually I can't be bothered.

I also bought their soya milk to see how I get on with it, and also went to asda for some powdered milk.

They stock the fishy own brand cat food. Purrball doesn't need any right now so it can wait a week or so, but I'm glad they have it.

I also got their lime tortilla chips for OH, who has declared them very tasty, so that's good. Maybe I can alternate these with Doritos when they are on offer.

The best part is that I'm not in a bad mood. The shop was small and it was quick.

Score. :)
  • Feebie
    Feebie Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Purrball! Love it :-)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Feebie wrote: »
    Purrball! Love it :-)

Yes, he's a furry old purrball bagpuss cat and is completely pampered. I think he deserves it, he's had quite a life and was a serious mouser in his day. He now lies on the sofa most of the time, on his favourite fluffy blankie, mostly with his tongue hanging out. Cute! :D
  • purpleybat
    Options
    Feebie wrote: »
    I've just started using dry tvp mince and chunks (from Holland and Barrett) to replace frozen veggie mince / chunks. I find the mince nice, although the texture is 'finer' than most frozen minces. The chunks I am less sure of although I'm persevering as they are so much cheaper! Also, use lentils a lot to make chilli and bolognese.

Good luck!

thankyou for mentioning tvp, when out of work I used it a lot to pad out all mince dishes. i'd completely forgotten it existed but will now add it to my shopping list
  • mirry
    mirry Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2016 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Another meal I make which is good for autumn/winter comfort food..

I stock up on the quorn best of British sausages when they are half price like recently £1 for 4 sausages.
    And I make a sausage casserole (serves 4)

Sainsbobs sausage casserole mix sachet 40p
    4 quorn sausage cut into bite size slices £1
    2 medium basic onions 10p
    400g sliced basic mushrooms 25p
    Serve with mash pot (basic potatos) 60p

works out 58p per meal and more if you add some peppers/veg.
    I add basic carrots or what evers going, but it shows how cheap you can make vege meals with a bit of planning.

Just a note...
    The quorn sausages are still £1 in sainsbobs (down £1.20)
    sainsbobs sausage casserole mix is 40p a sachet
    But there's a offer on The Colmans sachet ATM down 90p to 50p

The Sainsburys soya milk is the nicest tasting I've found at 85p and doesn't curdle.
    Kindness costs nothing :)
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I just had my first visit to Aldi to buy a few things for the last days of this month's budget.

I got chopped tomatoes (30p), kidney beans (25p) and quorn mince (£1.25). I'm making chilli and will add some oats and onion I already have, and a squeeze of tomato puree. I'm hoping to pad it out to make 6 portions, the bag of mince alone usually makes 4. Adding all that up, and assuming 10p for the onion and oats, means it will be 32p per portion.

Is that ok do you think? Plus rice, of course. It seems alright to me.

I've been meaning for a while to cost our meals but usually I can't be bothered.

I also bought their soya milk to see how I get on with it, and also went to asda for some powdered milk.

They stock the fishy own brand cat food. Purrball doesn't need any right now so it can wait a week or so, but I'm glad they have it.

I also got their lime tortilla chips for OH, who has declared them very tasty, so that's good. Maybe I can alternate these with Doritos when they are on offer.

The best part is that I'm not in a bad mood. The shop was small and it was quick.

Score. :)

That all sounds good.

It depends whether you want or need to save more money. For instance 4 tins of tomatoes in £ shop work out 25p a tin. Ok only 5p saving but for someone that buys a lot of tinned tomatoes like me it could work out a fair amount.

Also kidney beans work out cheaper if you buy them in bags. Admittedly you have to soak them and then cook but, again, it depends how much you use them. I use lots along with chickpeas, lentils etc so never buy tinned. I soak and cook a large amount at a time then freeze in batches.

How big is the Quorn mince pack? Tesco have 500g on offer for £1.50 so I will be going today and stocking up as it should be £2.79
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    That all sounds good.

It depends whether you want or need to save more money. For instance 4 tins of tomatoes in £ shop work out 25p a tin. Ok only 5p saving but for someone that buys a lot of tinned tomatoes like me it could work out a fair amount.

Also kidney beans work out cheaper if you buy them in bags. Admittedly you have to soak them and then cook but, again, it depends how much you use them. I use lots along with chickpeas, lentils etc so never buy tinned. I soak and cook a large amount at a time then freeze in batches.

How big is the Quorn mince pack? Tesco have 500g on offer for £1.50 so I will be going today and stocking up as it should be £2.79

Wow, I know it probably sounds silly but I didn't know beans could be frozen! I'm veggie like op and have just started buying bags of beans so I'll have to do that.

Re quorn, it is more expensive than beans, but if you have the space maybe you can do what I do and buy it when on offer to freeze? I only ever buy when it's £1 a bag and stockpile. I've tried own brands but don't like them so I buy when on offer or not at all. Mince and pieces are both £1 in Morrison's at the moment if you have one close :).
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I made a mistake in my original post about OH and cleaning products. It's branded products we buy. For no reason, as far as I can see. This needs to change to own brand, and the cheapest there is.

I now no longer buy cleaning products/personal care from supermarkets but from Savers and B&M - unless they're on offer. As an example bleach tablets for my loo cistern - £1.75 in Morrisons, £1 in Savers.

I do buy supermarket own cream cleaner from Morrisons, but that's about it (because it's cheaper than cif from savers).
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family