Computer, Laptop or tablet . . . . . . . . ?

Options
We're thinking about updating our creaking laptop and don't know whether to get another laptop or maybe purchase a tablet. We use it for email, t'interweb, writing of occasional letters and doing some spreadsheets, so Word and Excel often useful.

What do you use and can you recommend anything . . . . ? Budget up to £1000.

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    laptop with large monitor for excel?
    Or desktop + tablet?
  • cheeky-peach
    Options
    I'd shy away from a tablet if you use Excel often; it's much much easier to navigate excel with a mouse and keyboard so I'd say a laptop is sufficient.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No one can really reccomend what type of device you choose as this is completely subjective.
    Only you know what will be best suited to your requirements.

Eg - you mention spreadsheets, but do you like doing them infront of the telly ? Or do you have a dedicated office ? Do you need to have access to the device in different locations ? Is screen size important to you ?

ad infinitum , you get the picture

Once you have decided on the type of device you require, people can help you choose the best for your budget
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Tablets (typical IPad type thing) really are only any good for web/email/stupid little games etc and if you are wanting to do serious work like spreadsheets are not going to be the best things for the job. If you want some portability then a desktop would also be pointless. So, it looks like a laptop is a good choice.

Or....If you do want that real tablet type portability have you looked at the hybrids like the surface etc? Your budget opens up lots of possibilities and i am sure the ideal device for you is going to be out there and in budget.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The_Salad wrote: »
    Computer, Laptop or tablet . . . . . . . . ?

Pedant-alert ... Laptops and Tablets are both types of Computers. The word you meant was Desktop. ;)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally, I'd go for a desktop as I find laptops uncomfortable to use. There's nothing like a decent-sized monitor, ergonomic keyboard and mouse, and a comfy office chair.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Pedant-alert ... Laptops and Tablets are both types of Computers. The word you meant was Desktop. ;)

I think they meant they want a new computer, but weren't sure whether to go with a laptop or a tablet (computer).
    The comma is a bit misleading.
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go for a desktop as I find laptops uncomfortable to use. There's nothing like a decent-sized monitor, ergonomic keyboard and mouse, and a comfy office chair.

Agreed, though there's nothing to stop you adding monitor, keboard and mouse to a laptop while you're sitting at a desk.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would go for a laptop and at that price a SSD would be an essential.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    The most reliable and cheapest in like for like will be a desktop, followed by a laptop.

After being a few days in hospital, holding up a small 7" tablet to watch a film was an impossible task, and I only got to see the first 20 mins if that, as my arms were knackered by the weight.

I regularly lie on the bed at home staring at a laptop though.

For £1000 you have a large choice, still i would rather purchase second hand and keep £500. If you are buying second hand, probably after Xmas is better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure