Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

Options

Comments

• Flashfriend
    Flashfriend Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely worth a try Floeydoey. My DD was pretty average in p6 but was keen to do the tests. It was hard going and very stressful at times but it was so worth it when my DD scored 103. Unfortunately it is a big deal in this country because everywhere we go now people ask her how she got on. She is so pleased to be able to say she did well! Keep at it!!
  • May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    When they get settled into their new schools the grade will fade into the past!

103 is a great result but our first choice grammar here is 110 and the next 106 so a lot of pressure ahead. (some get in on the next band of 5 marks, below this but prep kids, siblings in first), I am not looking forward to this whole process. First time for me...
  • Flashfriend
    edited 7 March 2016 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Oh dear May100 that is a lot of pressure!! I would say you will be aiming for 85% or more in every test. Hopefully you child is more than capable, mine just wasn't consistent enough in the end to get such a high score.
    I should also say that I have another one doing it next year so that's why I'm still interested in this thread!
  • May100
    Options
    First time through for me. Then I have a gap of 4 years and have to start it all again!
  • Rainbowmac
    Rainbowmac Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    I'm last years thread and hated the whole process will
    Be doing it next year again if dd chooses to
    My son did it this year and got it but we have chosen secondary route for him where he will be able to excel
    More than keep up in grammar
    Don't be too hard on the kids it's an emotional
    Ride for them
    Too and when it's over they will
    All be educated and get their GCSEs and a levels it's not a barrier if they don't get a specific score
  • May100
    Options
    It is the issue of behaviour that concerns be about our local secondaries more than the academic side. We are thinking of a Plan B so that if DS can't get into one of the 2 local grammars then try for school a bit further away or one of those in the Dickson plan 14+ area of North Armagh.
    Having scanned through last year's thread it all looks daunting.
  • Rainbowmac
    Rainbowmac Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Behaviours are not perfect in either grammar or secondary that will depend on the child and how they get on
    Themselves
    I found the secondary's more supportive and encouraging than the grammars
  • Flashfriend
    Options
    There are problems in every school especially with drugs in grammar schools too! All I know is that all the badly behaved boys in my DD's class are going to the secondary school. She can't wait to get away from them lol! I'm more worried about any nasty girls she ends up with in her class! Primary school has been trouble-free that way - well so far!
  • May100
    Options
    Yes I know no school is perfect. I think how it is managed counts too. There is a brilliant secondary that I really like but it is heavily oversubscribed and not the closest. Very supportive and well managed. I was impressed with the Open Day but found that we were well down the ciriteria as it isn't the closest school The closest secondary didn't impress at all - very poor results and don't offer as good a choice in sciences and languages. Two of the grammars seemed to send out the signal that unless you were academically very strong you'd be written off. They actually said that The third grammar (further away) seemed to be middle ground and I liked it.
    DS really wants to do the AQE. So have to support him through this. We have parent teacher meeting after the Easter holidays, so can see how he is getting on then.
  • Flashfriend
    Options
    We have picked a grammar school which isn't our closest as I also think it's 'middle ground' and my DD will feel more comfortable. It's hard to decide until you get the actual score.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure