Car model recall

Options
We received a letter stating that our car is part of a mass recall of vehicles that have airbags issues.

The car is a Honday CRV

They said that this is just a notification so we don't have to do anything about it yet as they are getting all the replacement parts ready; this might take a lot of time as it has been several months since they said it.

This car was bought second hand from a trader, what are my rights if we don't want to keep the car, which has a serious issue?

Thank you

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cpu2007 wrote: »
    We received a letter stating that our car is part of a mass recall of vehicles that have airbags issues.

The car is a Honday CRV

They said that this is just a notification so we don't have to do anything about it yet as they are getting all the replacement parts ready; this might take a lot of time as it has been several months since they said it.

This car was bought second hand from a trader, what are my rights if we don't want to keep the car, which has a serious issue?

Thank you
    It sounds like Honday (sic) had not issued the recall notice at the time you bought the vehicle. For this reason I suggest you have no claim against the trader you bought the car from.

Is it really 'a serious issue' such that you no longer want the car?
    After all, Honday seem in no rush to fix the problem.
  • Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well it has to do with airbags, so it is serious in my opinion. It's not that we don't want the car but that issue shouldn't be there.
    The airbag is malfunctioning and apparently it could fire up at any time, even if there's not a crash.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well it has to do with airbags, so it is serious in my opinion. It's not that we don't want the car but that issue shouldn't be there.
    The airbag is malfunctioning and apparently it could fire up at any time, even if there's not a crash.
    No the airbag isn't malfunctioning, at most there's a risk that it MAY malfunction. Unless you can prove a fault actually exists then you have no redress against the car seller and certainly none against the manufacturer.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Recalls are a precaution, it doesn't mean they are faulty. Don't worry though if the airbag goes off in your face you will definitely have a cause to reject the car.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    My car (snazzy Micra) has had three recalls in the time I've owned it.

I am miraculously still alive.
  • Cpu2007
    Options
    at least 9 people have died and many injured as a result of these airbags, makes me worry about the airbag hitting my face while driving. I
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    at least 9 people have died and many injured as a result of these airbags,
    Citation please.

...makes me worry about the airbag hitting my face while driving. I
    Then sell the car.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    at least 9 people have died and many injured as a result of these airbags, makes me worry about the airbag hitting my face while driving. I
    More people people die or are injured in road accidents every day, does that mean you will never go anywhere again?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »

Then sell the car.
    And don't buy a Toyota or a Nissan either.;)
    Six deaths in other countries have been linked to Hondas using the Takata airbag, which falsely inflates in occasional instances. Around 25 million cars worldwide are affected by the Japanese parts supplier's error, with many more Toyotas and Nissans implicated.
  • Cpu2007
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Citation please.

Then sell the car.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/honda-cars-britain-recalled-after-7318039

Selling the car it's not an option, I loose on it. I want to know what are my rights in terms of whether I can get the manufacturer to replace those parts immediately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure