PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone keep chickens in an EGLU?

Options

Comments

• moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Sallygirl has given me this link for a site that gives a factsheet on keeping poultry.

http://www.lowimpact.org/factsheetpoultry.pdf

It is very good, well worth a read.

We have aquired a large wooden box to be the basic shape. Sallygirl says that Cuprinol do a 'bat friendly' wood preserver that is good for chickens.
  • Shona_3
    Shona_3 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Seeing this resurrected thread meant I had a flash bulb remembering of my log in and password! I haven't been able to post in about a year!
    Ours were never ill and we fed them a chicken feed from local pets at home, massive amounts of kitchen scraps and crushed eggshells and grit to keep their eggs healthy (put all old shells in oven when it was on for tea/baking then crush down and add to run).
    Sadly after posting above we did move to the country and a wily rural fox got them about a month after we moved in.... both girls gone. We then branched out into pigs, two tamworths, great fun, who went to the butcher in Jan and we still have 3/4 of the meat left!
  • bindweed_2
    Options
    I've been keen on the idea of having a few chickens ambling about but does anyone know the legalities of owning hens? Do you need to approach the council?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    sammiboo,

'fancied chickens for years' - not in the biblical sense of course. ;)

That did it Moany - my dinner nearly went straight over my computer - as I burst out laughing! I'm getting quite into the idea of hens with cute little characters - come on now, you've just got to go for this. Get building that henhouse.
  • moanymoany
    Options
    The henhouse has landed. Made for free with a wooden box dh got from work and the wood liberated from the skip.

It looks much nicer than the igloos and is very practical. The perch is free standing and can be lifted out to clean as are the nesting boxes.

Tomorrow the chicken run!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you google for Chicken Tractor, about the third entry is 'chicken tractor gallery by katy'. Dozens of photographs there of all sorts of chicken arks, some commercial and some home made. A well built ark, in my opinion, is the easiest and most useful way to keep a small number of hens on a smallish plot.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    For anyone who needs some chicken wire Wilkinsons have their cage mesh 600mm x 1.5m, currently in the sale. It'st he more rigid wire fencing which I find better than basic chicken wire to use.

Was £2.99 a roll, now has between 25% to 75% off depending on which Wilkinsons you go to as some have greater reductions.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • moanymoany
    Options
    Dh came home with a story from one of his chicken keeping buddies. He said that foxes kill and then decide what they will eat. A fox came and got several of his chickens and took one. He got one of the dead chickens, wound wire around it, hung the chicken from a tree, but near the ground - then he plugged the wire into the mains.

Next morning - there was the fox - quite dead - with his teeth embedded in the chicken. It gives a whole new meaning to being switched on. :eek:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    here is a link to a chicken thread over on the greenfingered board....

might be of interest.......

oh ye my pekin batams are doing great.....right little charecters......:D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=423623

i personally think those eglu things are over priced.. and they are marketed .......to newbie chicken owners... and they have the pet appeal look about them....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Phil51
    Phil51 Posts: 786 Forumite
    Options
    Could some of you with home-made hen-houses/runs post some piccies?
    Comping 2008 wins £4842 2009 wins £950.50 2010 Wins £140 2011 £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport