Log Stove sizes

Options
I am looking for a traditional looking Log stove (with a boiler) that heats a small cottage room and the boiler part to feed into a (not yet purchased) thermal store. I have used the calculation of 1kW for every 14 cubic metres which equals 2.6kW.

The room has two doors that are left permanently open so we guess about 5kW will do? (Also 5kW is the largest before a ventilation hole is required in the external wall).

As an example the Stovax Stockton 8HB nominal outputs 4.9kW to room and 8.2kW to boiler. What I don't understand is why the room is not heated to 8.2kW? as a stove is basically a metal box with an exhaust and also it requires the ventilation hole even though it states 4.9kW is to the room?????

Any help would be most appreciated.

(Please don't ask me to contact Stovax as I have emailed with no response and also phoned twice and not got through after 1/2 hour waiting each time)

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The back of the stove will be full of water. That will absorb heat from the fire whether you need to to or not. The 4.9kW is what's left over after heating the water.

You need to make sure the hot water can always go somewhere - try to block the flow and the stove is liable to explode.

I don't think you can claim that stove is less than 5kW for ventilation purposes. The total output of it is a claimed 10kW (the maths seems a bit odd there).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you want a small stove with a back boiler, have a look at the Hobbit from Salamander - http://salamanderstoves.com/the-hobbit-stove/

Dinky little thing and rated at 4Kw.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The stove requires ventilation for combustion and it's considered that a 5kw stove can get enough air without additional ventilation.

However a 5kwh stove with a 8kw back boiler becomes a 10-12kw stove and so requires extra air otherwise you are in danger from CO poisoning.

As said above the water flowing through the back boiler will absorb a significant amount of heat and thus reduce the heat available to warm the room. Once the boiler is heated then the extra heat will be radiated into the room so you need to make sure that the boiler can circulate the hot water otherwise it will boil,
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Krapsite
    Krapsite Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Charnwood 4 has been perfect for 13 years so a reliable make. Spares available if needed -only glass and new door seals. You ill need a larger one than 4 KW . Made on Isle of Wight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure