Alternatives to replacing TV aerial

Options
Hello all

I'm not at all savvy with other options for TV access. The recent strong winds have snapped our roof aerial. We don't have fibre - closest is the village about 1 mile away, the remaining 1 mile is copper. We are with Plusnet for landline and broadband. We don't have any desire for TV packages, Freeview is as fancy as we get. Other than getting a new roof aerial installed (which won't be either the OH or me shimmying up the roof), what other cost effective options are there? Whilst I'm quite happy to watch TV via my laptop, the OH isn't. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thank you!

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try a decent TV aerial in the loft 1st.
    I moved into a house with a snapped aerial and this was a suggestion after I had been shocked at installation charges for a new one, all of them said not to bother with 'indoor' set top aerials as they were rubbish.

Get something really good though -since you'd need it for installation on the roof anyway it won't be any extra expense, then run the cable indoors just to see if you can get a decent signal -90% of houses should be able to.

I bought a philex 48 element if it helps -very well thought of amongst TV buffs & installers.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy a fiestick from amazon,you will get all u need.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    discat11 wrote: »
    I moved into a house with a snapped aerial and this was a suggestion after I had been shocked at installation charges for a new one, all of them said not to bother with 'indoor' set top aerials as they were rubbish.

Get something really good though -since you'd need it for installation on the roof anyway it won't be any extra expense, then run the cable indoors just to see if you can get a decent signal -90% of houses should be able to.

I bought a philex 48 element if it helps -very well thought of amongst TV buffs & installers.
    I remember seeing some advice about a loft aerial saying they do not work well if the roof itself is insulated under the slates.
    Some aerial installers try to say you will need a "digital " aerial which is not true and they inflate the cost of the aerial itself..
    Buy any normal aerial yourself from B and Q or Amazon or even a used one locally and then try and find someone with a roof ladder to screw it in.
    I ve replaced aerials myself in the past .Was easy enough with just turning it to the correct direction as everyone else s is pointing.
  • DesertWind
    DesertWind Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    You can watch the Freeview Channels on your computer.

TVPlayer is an Internet television company serving the United Kingdom, offering access to free live television channel streams using a web browser or application software via big screen and small screen mobile devices. https://tvplayer.com/

Watch here:
    https://tvplayer.com/watch
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

OP this is good advice, as long as you are close enough to your local transmitter.

If you put your postcode in here

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

It will show you the signal strength where you live. If the recommended aerial type is log periodic, then a loft aerial should suffice.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh no it's not. It's commonly referrred to as a "Bacofoil aerial". Certainly not one to fit outside, but may be OK in a loft if you have the space.

OP: Location is key. How far from and which transmitter. Wolfbane recommendations for aerials is a bit pessimistic, but nevertheless the numbers are useful for those who can interpret. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ - tick the detailed view box - will give you predictions for reception now and as the 700 MHz clearance changes occur... It may influence which transmitter to use!

Avoid any aerial with a pressed aluminium plate for the reflector aka a "contract aerial". The broadcasters use log periodic to transmit and receive at relay sites (albeit ruggedised professional versions); so they can be a very good choice.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html has a wealth of information on his website, freely given. :T
  • rosy10
    rosy10 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBF Rodders I am only going by the advice/google searches on installer sites when I fitted mine.

Mine was installed in a 1930s house (which do not have insulation under the tiles).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure