PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    Thanks mrs lurcherwalker... That was the one I was looking at, bought myself an american pressure canner at the tail end of last year, haven't had the chance to use it yet though, I do find the jars expensive though so will need to try and source a cheaper place for them... I may just treat myself to the dehydrator this year and the sealer next year then ... I'm hoping the sealer will allow me to store more things due to lack of space ... Which is a bit silly as I know it will take up space but you get my drift I'm sure :)

I think it also depends on what you are using the dehydrator for. I plan to use mine for preparing meals for camping so will be drying meals and then storing in the freezer or in bags till they are needed. Another use for me will be making crisp bread and bran flakes but that is because I am degunking my diet. Others will use it for dealing with excess foods. If you can find lots of uses for it then even the expensive models can be justified. The vacuum sealers are relatively cheap. They can be even more useful if you plan on something like sous vide.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 February 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options
    :) Afternoon all, and welcome to the madhouse, secondhandrose. I'd love it when the mystery lurkers decloak and introduce themselves. Although lurking is just fine if that's what you want to do. I lurk on various blogs here and there on the interwebs myself.

Miss Minimalist is a lovely blog, I recommend it to you. I have a bit of a bonkers lifestyle as I lurk between minimalism and wanting to be prepped for all sorts. I guess if you took away all the preps there'd be some spaces under the bed and in a few nooks and crannies. The preps are well-hidden and all I can say is thank goodness for valances and niches like behind the sofa.:rotfl:

My gaff looks relatively normal on the surface, as long as you stay away from my single bookshelf. Its contents would be a pretty big giveaway that I walk on the preptastic side of the street.

I do think prepping and simple living/ minimalism aren't as contradictory as they might appear at first glance, though. A prepper wants specific Stuff, not random stuff. And might well be motivated to declutter the random to have room for the specific.

We're also liable to be eyeing up our storage areas with view to getting maximum usage from them, so are liable to be efficient and organised in our homes. Or working towards the same.

I've been reading tiny house blogs and sites for some time and must admit to a fascination with them. Not sure I could hack sleeping on a bed just under the pitched ceiling many of them, though, as I have isshews with claustrophobia and once had a near panic attack in my teeny-tiny backpacking tent when I overheated whilst asleep and had a bit of a nightmare that I was being stifled.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi PIC he's an old boy now, will be 10 in April and is beginning to look venerable with much white on his muzzle and round his eyes, plus he is slightly bow legged at the back, cow hocked they call it, so I don't think he's a prime target for being stolen. We don't take any chances however, and if I felt in the slightest bit threatened or uneasy I'd head for the nearest house and ask for help, we know most folks in the village and everyone knows Docky!!! Lyn xxx.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Oh dear, I'd never make a minimalist. I love the look, but where would I put my stock? Not to mention my "hobby" supplies? That's in inverted commas because I do actually sell about half of the things that I make, and a lot of the rest are for specific gifts/occasions, which I then don't have to buy for.
    Mind you… I may live in a reasonably-sized house, but so do quite a few other people. I once added up the space I can actually call my own, to store all my clothes, toiletries, hobby stuff & stock in, and it came down to less than half of a 12' x 12' bedroom. Which also included my half of the bed. So I bought myself a shed for the stock and excess fabric, which sufficed for a while, but I'm quite glad that one or two offspring have wandered off now & made it possible for me to spread myself out a bit!

I suspect that anyone burgling us would take one look, decide we'd already been done over & leave. Possibly even worrying that they might have caught something...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not keen on the idea of the pitched roof bedroom. I like either the wedge shaped roof or rounded ones as the head room is better in both.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've always loved the idea of earth sheltered houses, like a hobbit hole and with a turf roof, would be my idea of heaven!!!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Welcome to the mad house secondhandrose animated-smileys-hello-21.gif
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    OOh Alibobsy, you've brought back some memories with mentioning 78s.

There's one I remember which my mother always used to find killingly funny. Looking back I can see why

It's about a pioneer woman who for some reason I can't recall had to battle through a blizzard to her intended's house then collapses on the floor when she gets there. I think she rejects her mother's advice to dress warmly (plus ca change!!)

The chorus goes
    Git up off of that floor Hannah them hogs has gotta be fed
    It ain't no use a layin there like a doggone lump o' lead
    I don't want no lazy woman if'n ever we get wed
    So git up off of that floor Hannah them hogs has gotta be fed.

Every now and then when I am feeling unappreciated and overworked I find that chorus running through my mind:rotfl:
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    GQ saw this and thought of you
    animated-smileys-leisure-024.gif
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GQ saw this and thought of you
    animated-smileys-leisure-024.gif
    :j Oh, I love it to pieces! What a find. Wherever to people find these darling little animated wotsits?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills