Best car hire in faro portugal? Help needed

Options
Hi am treating my mum to a private villa with private jacuzzi and swimming pool for her bday in Nov. I'm trying to find a trustworthy and reasonable rate car hire from faro airport..I have done some research and people said you have to be careful as some companies ask for 1000 euro deposit even with an excess waiver and theres hidden charges? I looked on google and people said use UK brokers, others said use La Cruz Cars or Easycar hire. I emailed La Cruz and they quoted £260 for a week for a 9 seater and I've found a few but not many cheaper one with easycar hire for £150 for a ford 7 seater, but i'm guessing they take a security deposit of 500 euros on arrival, although am going to ring to check this. Is this normal? We need a 7 seater or 9 seater. Just wondered if anyone knew any trustworthy ones?

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    I used travel supermarket that put Argus Carhire (broker) as the cheapest and I've used before elsewhere.

Cannot remember who Argus put me but didnt have any problems with hidden charges etc, wasnt even ever charged for tolls that I presumably ran up (3 years ago)
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Why not ask the villa owner?
  • curtainsplitter
    Options
    I had a look at Argos but it said in the terms and conditions you will have to pay an excess deposit on your credit card upfront? Also seemed quite expensive? I did ask the villa owner he said use la cuz but have contacted as per above..
  • curtainsplitter
    Options
    i am still stuck with who to use. i was going to use atlas but awful reviews..same for easycar hire and argus..
  • curtainsplitter
    Options
    insideinsurance do you know when you used argus was it over 3 yrs ago..am still stuck :(
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    https://www.yorcar.com

Those guys have quite a good reputation, and I used them once, why not take a look?

Can't remember if they asked for a deposit, or just card details. It was a while ago
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2014 at 11:17PM
    Options
    insideinsurance do you know when you used argus was it over 3 yrs ago..am still stuck :(

No, was Xmas 2012 so under 2 years ago

Most car hire companies require you to preauthorise the excess on your card, if you take CDW to reduce the excess you reduce the amount needing to be authorised. They dont actually take the money, they just ring fence it. It automatically is released about a week later and is only actually "taken" should you bring the car back damaged or run up parking tickets/ toll road fees etc
  • curtainsplitter
    Options
    Hi thanks for the help. i sorted it out after some further reading I read that economycarhire is the best site to use and either rentauto or drive4less people said are good..i found a 9 seater with full cover 0 excess everything included CDW etc.. for 200 pound.They said that tires weren't included in that and undercarriage and window damage so i just bought economy car hires extra cover to cover this for £10.00 so total £210.00 They were very helpful when i rang too. I'm told as you have said that a security deposit will be taken of 300 euros.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure